LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Matt Rhule Named New Baylor Football Coach

He did a terrific job at Temple and it will be interesting to see how his physical defense mindset translates in the Big 12.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Well that came from left field

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

I can see this not working out well

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2726

Purdue has also hired Western Kentucky's coach Jeff Brohm....an excellent hire for that program...and ditto for Baylor...Rhule did a helluva job at Temple to maintain the success and recruiting after Al Golden left for the Miami Hurricane job a few years ago.

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

Temple defense has been really tough the last two years. Who he picks to run the offense will be critical but I think he's got a good shot.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    I can see this not working out well
    disagree unde...good coach and good recruiter...you do realize that Temple is one of the hardest schools in the country to get accepted at?...very academic oriented and very high standards...almost ivy league type standards...anyhow, Baylor has been dogshit for many years before Art Briles got there so at the very least Rhule will make them a respectable program doing things the right way.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    disagree unde...good coach and good recruiter...you do realize that Temple is one of the hardest schools in the country to get accepted at?...very academic oriented and very high standards...almost ivy league type standards...anyhow, Baylor has been dogshit for many years before Art Briles got there so at the very least Rhule will make them a respectable program doing things the right way.
    I am talking in terms of what they have in place at Baylor. He is bringing in a system that is polar opposite of what they have been for years now. Not saying he isn't a good coach, he obviously is, just not sure why he wants this job. If he doesn't get players to buy in his first few years are going to be very rough. He plays smash mouth football, Baylor has been recruiting all run and gun players that probably aren't going to be feeling great with the new system. Most likely will see several transfers at WR and skilled positions. If Baylor is patient with him he can turn it into a winner but it surely isn't going to happen overnight and it's a, what have you done lately type world now.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

where did you read this at? I live about a mile from the main campus

Personally don't see this ending well at all.........Very weak conference and how well did Golden do when he left for a "big time" school.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Big 12 has zero defense. This should be interesting...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Better recruits

He should do ok

Temple was tough under him in a tough place to recruit

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post

where did you read this at? I live about a mile from the main campus

Personally don't see this ending well at all.........Very weak conference and how well did Golden do when he left for a "big time" school.
    philly,
    I agree...Golden should have stayed at Temple...but just because he didn't succeed at Miami doesn't mean that he didn't do an excellent job at Temple...he resurrected that program from the ashes...Remember when Temple was so bad, that they got kicked out of the former Big East Conference?!......well, for Rhule to continue and maintain the success is not an easy thing to do especially at Temple...I wouldn't necessarily call the AAC a very weak conference....afterall, Houston curb stomped the Big - 12 champs (Oklahoma) and ACC juggernaut Louisville.......actually Rhule's smash mouth style should bode very well for Baylor once he gets his players in...but like you said, they got to be patient...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Good coach, bad hire. It is not nearly as easy to coach against the Oklahoma's and the Texas's of the world as it is to coach against AAC schools. He is not cut out for a high scoring conference.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Baylor has 1 commit (most teams are almost full by now) in their 2017 class. Not a lot of guys from philly/jersey are going to want to texas and he has no local ties. They must've backed up the truck cause this will be an uphill battle.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

not sure why he'd take the position.....schools a complete mess....same board of directors....you can fire all you want but when same clowns running the program how do you expect a different result?

What kid would want to go to this school?

Personally I would have taken Oregon job if offered

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Poor Temple.

Rhule is a good coach and a good recruiter but even he said himself that he'd have a hard time recruiting in Texas.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Dumb move. Baylor lucked out. Rhule could've done much better.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Long as Baylor follows the Rhules then they will be okay

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Long as Baylor follows the Rhules then they will be okay

unde0087
    Did we win?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

not sure why he'd take the position.....schools a complete mess....same board of directors....you can fire all you want but when same clowns running the program how do you expect a different result?
    Money

What kid would want to go to this school?
    Lots still. Kids with Baptists parents. Kids who didn't get into A&M or LSU.

Personally I would have taken Oregon job if offered
    Well yeah, but I don't think it was.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Hope they are going to give him 3-4 years to turn this around. He will probably have to totally revamp his playing personnel to make his system work.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Very strange hire. No experience in Texas. If you were going to hire a Rhule guy, I'd go with Les Miles.

This is probably not going to work.

Buffalo Nickle

Baylor is a horrible job for Rhule. The natural position for Baylor in the Big 12 is fighting for last place with Kansas and Iowa State and TCU. Patterson is working miracles at TCU. Briles was a once in a lifetime coach.

If the guy goes 7-5, he will be doing great but that will most likely get him fired and end his HC career.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Baylor is a horrible job for Rhule. The natural position for Baylor in the Big 12 is fighting for last place with Kansas and Iowa State and TCU. Patterson is working miracles at TCU. Briles was a once in a lifetime coach.
    This is actually a good argument. If you look at the coaches that have had success in Texas like Briles and Sumlin for example, they all had roots in Texas before taking the job. Patterson not so much, but TCU was patient and gave him time, which is rare these days.

The one thing that might save Rhule is that instead of trying to beat the giants for the top guys he will be competing for 2nd tier talent in Texas, which is still really really good. He won't get the top guys, nor should he expect to. Get in good with the HS coaches that the other top coaches have pissed off, go after the guys you know UT, A&M and TCU aren't taking, and you can really start to build a base. Rhule has a totally different offensive style, and that might attract kids that don't fit in as well with the high-octane programs.

Baylor has to learn to be patient though. Their program was damaged deeper than they've probably realized. And they might just be, that fan base is strong, but not as looney-toon as UT or A&M, so there's that too.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    This is actually a good argument. If you look at the coaches that have had success in Texas like Briles and Sumlin for example, they all had roots in Texas before taking the job. Patterson not so much, but TCU was patient and gave him time, which is rare these days.

The one thing that might save Rhule is that instead of trying to beat the giants for the top guys he will be competing for 2nd tier talent in Texas, which is still really really good. He won't get the top guys, nor should he expect to. Get in good with the HS coaches that the other top coaches have pissed off, go after the guys you know UT, A&M and TCU aren't taking, and you can really start to build a base. Rhule has a totally different offensive style, and that might attract kids that don't fit in as well with the high-octane programs.

Baylor has to learn to be patient though. Their program was damaged deeper than they've probably realized. And they might just be, that fan base is strong, but not as looney-toon as UT or A&M, so there's that too.
    Patterson had a lot of experience recruiting in Texas. He was Franchione's DC at New Mexico and they recruited Texas. Texas high school football coaches do not like Yankees. That was one thing that caused Mackovic problems at UT. Briles was big time with high school coaches because he had been one so they will probably not look favorably on Rhule.

Baylor has pretty low expectations because they got slaughtered for a decade in the Big 12 and that's one reason they have always played a weak schedule. Fear of going back to being bad.

But Briles sets the expectation that they can win and just winning seven games will be good for Baylor going forward and he is not likely to outrecruit Kingsbury and Patterson let alone the top half.

He had some chances last year for HC jobs. Really don't know why he wouldn't have taken Rutgers or something and built up to something bigger.

On the other hand, if he has a good year at Baylor some time in the future, he probably is up for Big 10 or ACC jobs.

Baylor will probably give him 5 years but it will be hard for him to get traction with the devastation of all the good recruits they have lost. In a couple of years, they are going to be pretty bad and he will have to build up.

I don't like his chances in that conference against those recruiters. He will also not get a weak Texas like Briles did. Once Baylor is considered a doormat, it will be really tough to recruit.

Ra77er

So lets get to the real question here, we all want the Horns to be the best here obviously so is Rhule going to stay outta Hermans way or are we going to have to run the score up?

Ralphie Halves

Like I said before, it was probably just a great payday first and foremost. Kind of a win/win for Rhule. If he sucks, he was expected to, and he can just go back to the NE and coach. If he turns a beaten down program around even a little bit, his stock shoots way up.

Ra77er

I'll refer myself to post #18 in regards to my last comment (made me chuckle LT). Horns need tons of help still as well and battling for a bowl game is my expectations for now.

As far as TCU I remember Coach Patterson built a solid defense and pushed them upwards on that foundation. The product now is much more about scoring, fans do not want to see 7-3 finals these days personally I like those kind of games but I understand its evolved.

I remember Kraken once posting about networking being important and obviously as a transplant to Texas that will be an uphill battle. This is a messy situation for Baylor, feel awful seeing Art watching his kids up in the stands just dying to coach again and they didn't look good on the field at times without him. Also seeing what happened to RG3 in the NFL and the scandals and whatnot. Hopefully families considering the school do understand that it is still a BIG12 school and the visibility is certainly there.

I do believe the school needs to lower expectations and be prepared to find a coach that they want to settle in with like Coach Patterson. If I'm him, I do the best I can to recruit some kids from my last duty station just to help get the lockeroom settled in ideologically and then I shift full focus to the surrounding schools and slowly branch it out. If he can somehow get it rolling then Baylor will love him having some kind of pipeline to the NE. If he has a unique approach to recruiting then that's where he can make his money even without a solid network together. IMO

Good luck Baylor

Buffalo Nickle

Realistically, Rhule really cannot do better than Baylor. It's a strange decision by Baylor but I can see why Rhule is doihg it.

First, I think Baylor wanted a complete break from Briles to regain credibility. That school is humiliated over the corruption they have had. Those are self righteous religious people running that school and they have been shown to be frauds.

Rhule is definitely a clean break and a guy with "family values." Baylor gets their change and wherever Rhule might have wound up he was not going to have a recruiting area like he will have at Baylor. So it is a big payday and a challenge and he gets to be a savior. If it doesn't work out, he can say he fought for a cause. It is as good as coaching Purdue or Indiana.

temple2010
    temple2010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4189

Hardest to get in to?? I graduated from there- and I can tell you that's definitely not true. He'll be fired in 3 years- no way he's able to recruit there.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by temple2010 View Post
    Hardest to get in to?? I graduated from there- and I can tell you that's definitely not true. He'll be fired in 3 years- no way he's able to recruit there.
    well, times must have changed then...Temple used to be one of the better schools in the country from an academic standpoint....but I guess they had no choice but to lower their academic and acceptance standards so they could recruit better athletes and be able to compete in the Division I-A level.

ronzer
    the search for bigfoot continues
    ronzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

I have seen Temple's offense slow way down when they get a lead. This is not the Baylor way....Hope Baylor continues to put up 50+ points a game.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Great hire, perhaps next Saban

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

He will do a great job there. Harbaugh came into a pass happy pac 10 and brought a physical style that was successful at Stanford. If he stays committed to that style of play, he can do what harbaugh did for Stanford at Baylor. and Stanford was a cupcake when harbaugh got there.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

The Jets have expressed interest in Baylor coach Matt Rhule for their head coaching position, Dan Graziano of ESPN.com tweets. It’s unclear when or if an interview has been scheduled, however.

The Jets are scheduled to be in Texas on Sunday to interview Cowboys assistant Kris Richard, so that may be a logical time to chat with Rhule. The Baylor coach lacks real NFL experience outside of his 2012 stint as the Giants’ offensive line coach, but he has been on the professional radar nonetheless. Last year, he was a candidate for the Colts’ opening before the Josh McDaniels fiasco.

Rhule does have vast amounts of collegiate experience, as he’s been working in the NCAA since 1998. Rhule was head coach at Tempe for four seasons before taking over Baylor, where posted a disappointing 1-11 record in 2017. This past season wasn’t a banner year for Baylor either, but the Bears at least finished above the .500 mark.

12 Last