jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Oregon's Mark Helfrich Fired

Oregon doesnt play around.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quite the opposite is true. Helfrich is the fist Oregon HC fired in many a decade. It was 1976 when Oregon fired it's last HC before this.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I said it before, he ran out of Chip's recruits. Had to rely on his own. Same deal as last year to a degree, but Vernon Adams is a stud and bailed him out of a few games that would have been losers.

Decent enough coach that could still HC in a lower division. Oregon and Arizona were the only teams that fell off in the Pac-12 while the other programs were getting better or staying relevant. Just couldn't keep up.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Many teams fell off in the Pac 12 this past season. Both Arizona's were terrible. UCLA was bad, but this is status quo for them when a HC at Uceless enters year 5. Oregon was terrible, but so was Oregon State and Cal.

Ralphie Halves

UCLA I give a pass because of injuries. It's not like Mora woke up one day and forgot how to coach.

Cal was Cal. ASU was good if you just played them at home, which a team with no discipline is going to favor heavily anyway. Oregon State just doubled their win total from 2015. Beavers were a great ATS play this year. They'll be interesting to watch next year IMO.

Most of the really good players in the Pac-12 are underclassmen. As much as I call that conference soft, expect a real push next year. I found the Pac-12 real easy to bet this year, I hope it stays that way.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Mora and UCLA went 9-3 in 2013 and 2014, 8-5 last season, and 4-8 this season. That is a definite downhill trend. There is absolutely no ecuse for Arizona State, who was 5-1 at one point in the season and only needed one more win to go to a Bowl game. They never got it. Arizona was just as bad. Their saving grace from a 3-9 season was a win against Arizona State to finish the season off. Oregon has major problems. No one wants to coach them. I can see why. Their offense is stale and they have no defense at all. Their recruiting, which was never good, has fallen off even further. Next season they host Nebraska and go to Stanford, UCLA, and Washington.

Ralphie Halves

Oregon will be a highly sought-after job, make no mistake. An endless supply of funds is a rare and wonderful thing if you're a HC, and Oregon, OKSt, Louisville, and a few others can boast that, thanks to billionaire boosters. Those three schools also don't have fan bases living unrealistically in the past (Tex, Neb, Mia), at least Oregon doesn't seem to yet.

Tom Herman stylistically would have been be a way better fit there than at Texas. Just saying.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Oregon will be a highly sought-after job, make no mistake. An endless supply of funds is a rare and wonderful thing if you're a HC, and Oregon, OKSt, Louisville, and a few others can boast that, thanks to billionaire boosters. Those three schools also don't have fan bases living unrealistically in the past (Tex, Neb, Mia), at least Oregon doesn't seem to yet.

Tom Herman stylistically would have been be a way better fit there than at Texas. Just saying.
    I have not seen one person openly seeking the Oregon job. I have seen several people reject it. AS far as the money is concerned, that is drying up. Oregon did not sell out their home season in 2016, and their stadium is small, seating only 54,000 though 59,000 can crowd in. Oregon has no solid recruiting base. Washington and Stanford have passed them up on the recruiting trail, and those are just the teams in the Pac 12 North. Oregon is a major rebuild job and potential head coaches know it.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I have not seen one person openly seeking the Oregon job. I have seen several people reject it. AS far as the money is concerned, that is drying up. Oregon did not sell out their home season in 2016, and their stadium is small, seating only 54,000 though 59,000 can crowd in. Oregon has no solid recruiting base. Washington and Stanford have passed them up on the recruiting trail, and those are just the teams in the Pac 12 North. Oregon is a major rebuild job and potential head coaches know it.
    Doesn't matter how much money they're losing, Phil Knight will pay whatever it takes to get them back to relevancy. His money is not drying up ever. Their facilities are already second to none.

It also doesn't matter if that recruiting base is lost, you can get it back. Washington did.

I don't think an attractive job is a program that is already doing great with an amazing recruiting base. Stupid high expectations there. An attractive job is a program you can resurrect (it makes you look like a genius and you can command a ton of money later) that has all of its pieces in place, and not to mention endless funds. A job like.......Oregon I suppose.

No1DraftPick
    No1DraftPick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 950

I work in the HS football recruiting industry.
    When I ask where the kids "dream school" or favorite school are 95% say
    1) Oregon
    2) Alabama
    3) Florida St

The margin between Oregon and Alabama is large too. Florida St is mostly florida and Georgia kids. Alabama is Alabama/Texas kids. Oregon is just about everywhere else.

Full disclosure being that the majority of these kids would be lucky to play DII but some of the ESPN 300 ranked kids have Oregon high, seems the Ducks can't just close the deal on these kids.

I've heard rumours about Greg Schiano as the HC. I feel that would be an awful move. Dude is such a dick and doesn't seem like a good face of the Oregon program given the general "attitude" of the people of the state being far nicer.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by No1DraftPick View Post
    I've heard rumours about Greg Schiano as the HC. I feel that would be an awful move. Dude is such a dick and doesn't seem like a good face of the Oregon program given the general "attitude" of the people of the state being far nicer.
    Polar opposite style. I'm just not a fan of it. I don't care how good the AD at Houston thinks Paul Johnson is (just an example), going from having 5 WR on the field to 1 WR on the field at all times just seems crazy to me.

Schiano is a great coach, he made Rutgers relevant for the first and only time I can even remember. But for Oregon??

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by No1DraftPick View Post
    I work in the HS football recruiting industry.
    When I ask where the kids "dream school" or favorite school are 95% say
    1) Oregon
    2) Alabama
    3) Florida St

The margin between Oregon and Alabama is large too. Florida St is mostly florida and Georgia kids. Alabama is Alabama/Texas kids. Oregon is just about everywhere else.
    Yeah, Oregon has done so much right over the years, regardless of what they did this season. From the facilities to the uniform switches (which I thought was so dumb, but it became so popular that even teams rooted in tradition like Ohio State do it now), to just being the team that's known for playing fast. It's what draws those kids in.