seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Has a freshman QB ever led an undefeated regular season team?

After watching Jalen Hurts on Saturday it's obvious he is the key to them winning and scoring at a lights out pace. Has this ever been done before? The closest thing I can remember is Bernie Kosar, but he was a redshirt sophomore. Just an amazing feat in this day and age. Hurts must have been unstoppable in high school last year this time.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anyone on Oklahoma in the old days?

clownpuncher
    Update your status
    clownpuncher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Jameis Winston

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Yes was gonna say Winston. He was a redshirt freshman.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

kid was playing HS last yr

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Holieway for OU but I don't think he started every game

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

So it has not happened before. Anything in the olden days would be a redshirt freshman and why are the responses only Oklahoma based?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by clownpuncher View Post
    Jameis Winston
    Redshirt. Had a year of college scout team and college practice under his belt and an extra year of maturity. Great, but not exactly the same thing going on.

jtoler

Youre still not experienced as a redshirt. You didnt play. Jameis was 25-27 in his first game. He was better as a freshman than Hurts is. Hurts enrolled at Bama in January, he's had quite a bit of practice also, Jameis was winning games with his arm, Hurts more of a game manager, moves the ball more with his legs and short passes and Id say has a better team around him.
    Last edited by jtoler; 11-27-16 at 10:55 AM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Not sure a freshman has been handed the keys to a lamborghini before either. think they were preseason no.1 and would have been with or without him.

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Youre still not experienced as a redshirt. You didnt play. Jameis was 25-27 in his first game. He was better as a freshman than Hurts is. Hurts enrolled at Bama in January, he's had quite a bit of practice also, Jameis was winning games with his arm, Hurts more of a game manager, moves the ball more with his legs and short passes and Id say has a better team around him.

Stay Focused on TRUE Freshman

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong. You have a chance to get stronger, more time to learn the plays, more practices against more talented players than in high school, a year of big boy strength training, coaching up, film study, nutrition etc. Contrary to popular belief redshirts don't sit on their asses and do nothing.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Not sure a freshman has been handed the keys to a lamborghini before either. think they were preseason no.1 and would have been with or without him.
    There is a good reason that not only freshmen, but also average players are also not handed the keys to the lamborhini either. Too much bad can happen just trying to keep it in the road. That should tell you all you need to know right there. Hurts was handed the keys against USC on day 1 and hasn't looked back. Georgia has a high rated 5 star QB starting also, he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and its been in the garage awhile. That is usually what happens, not what Hurts is doing. Georgia's season has been over a while, but they are sticking with him and at home for the bowl game.

jtoler

I like UGA's qb alot, havent seen him play much but he has the tools imo. I think he's gonna be super. About Hurts, maybe, hard to tell, prob depend on which year you started counting actual college football. But he prob is the first true freshman.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    There is a good reason that not only freshmen, but also average players are also not handed the keys to the lamborhini either. Too much bad can happen just trying to keep it in the road. That should tell you all you need to know right there. Hurts was handed the keys against USC on day 1 and hasn't looked back. Georgia has a high rated 5 star QB starting also, he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and its been in the garage awhile. That is usually what happens, not what Hurts is doing. Georgia's season has been over a while, but they are sticking with him and at home for the bowl game.
    Lol Eason will be a top5 draft pick.he is on a team who's coach was fired.not the defending champion no.1 rated team coming into season.switch teams and see what happens.bad comparison.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Lol Eason will be a top5 draft pick.he is on a team who's coach was fired.not the defending champion no.1 rated team coming into season.switch teams and see what happens.bad comparison.
    Georgia was a 10 win team last year. Eason was handed to a team that wasn't defending champion but not a total rebuild either. Georgia is 7-5 in his true freshmen year playing in the weak EAST who won ONLY 3 games against the SEC WEST. So Hurts beat EVERY team in a divsion that dominated Eason's division by unthinkable measures on the scoreboard and Eason lost 5 more games. If Eason is a top 5 pick it will be like Stafford, based on potential only. Mel Kiper said Stafford would be the number ONE pick before he finished high school. That did not lead to one title or undefeated regular season for Georgia while he was there. Just give Hurts credit for doing something that has never been done before and leave it at that.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 11-27-16 at 03:47 PM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

he's ok. i can only assume u are a bama fan. he's an average game manager on a great college squad. only qb that can challenge them is browning. and all that "he" beat?? Alabama beat those teams. like i said, switch places and Eason is undefeated as well. Georgia has zero receivers that will be drafted, but two running backs. The team was given to the backs, and the gameplan is scaled down for the freshman. He lost the Tennessee game in a hail mary and the tech game in the last minute. vandy as well. the kid can't play defense lol.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

As a fresh Dan Marino took over after a Pitt loss and went 10-0 and won the national championship as a true freshman

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    As a fresh Dan Marino took over after a Pitt loss and went 10-0 and won the national championship as a true freshman
    Think he had Tony Dorsett on that team. but he still carried them.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

dorsett drafted 1977.......... marino born 1961........... so they almost met........... a great great player for pitt in - i think - dan marino's day was hugh green, a defensive end from mississippi.

as per the debate and some attitude shown on here,

the title of the thread says "freshman" - nothing about "true" freshman.

just my opinion, but i do think spring enrollment is probably at least 50% of the way to "red shirt" experience.

a true freshman who shows up for first time at august practice would be a little different

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

i was born in 77 so I don't know any of this from first hand memory

Dorsett won Heisman in Pitt national championship in 1976 and won nfl Roy in 77

was 79 considered a national championship for Pitt though or am I making that up?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Dorsett's Rookie of the year campaign is the "tricky" part of my favorite trivia question

in NFL, NBA, and MLB the ROY had the initals A.D. (Anthony Dorsett)

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11078

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Holieway for OU but I don't think he started every game
    Good mention. He actually took over middle of game four in 85 season when Aikman hit his leg busted by miami. Holieway was a true freshman and led them to 7 or 8 straight wins and natl title over penn state that year

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

he's ok. i can only assume u are a bama fan. he's an average game manager on a great college squad. only qb that can challenge them is browning. and all that "he" beat?? Alabama beat those teams. like i said, switch places and Eason is undefeated as well. Georgia has zero receivers that will be drafted, but two running backs. The team was given to the backs, and the gameplan is scaled down for the freshman. He lost the Tennessee game in a hail mary and the tech game in the last minute. vandy as well. the kid can't play defense lol.
    The Browning that was rag dolled against USC a few weeks ago at home? Or are you talking about Browning Nagle? The same USC that gave up 50+ to Bama on a neutral field that came in and shut Browning down and held them UNDER 20 points in Husky stadium. Yeah. You have a great point.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 11-27-16 at 05:22 PM.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    i was born in 77 so I don't know any of this from first hand memory

Dorsett won Heisman in Pitt national championship in 1976 and won nfl Roy in 77

was 79 considered a national championship for Pitt though or am I making that up?
    I'm confused because Dorsett was part of Pitt's last National Championship team. not sure if Pitt got awarded by some knockoff reward but marino's teams didn't win a major national championship...

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Georgia was a 10 win team last year. Eason was handed to a team that wasn't defending champion but not a total rebuild either. Georgia is 7-5 in his true freshmen year playing in the weak EAST who won ONLY 3 games against the SEC WEST. So Hurts beat EVERY team in a divsion that dominated Eason's division by unthinkable measures on the scoreboard and Eason lost 5 more games. If Eason is a top 5 pick it will be like Stafford, based on potential only. Mel Kiper said Stafford would be the number ONE pick before he finished high school. That did not lead to one title or undefeated regular season for Georgia while he was there. Just give Hurts credit for doing something that has never been done before and leave it at that.

Georgia was the worst 10 win team in recent memory. Eason has no offensive line and no go to receivers...yet. His best receivers are also freshmen & sophomores including a TE who could be the next Jeremy Shockey/Gronk. UGA is just a super young team now at all the wrong places.

Hurts is surrounded by NFL draft picks. There may be 2 guys that get drafted from UGA this year and that's if Chubb leaves early. Georgias time should come soon... that said It's hard to argue that Hurts isn't a reason Alabama is winning. Usually teams win in spite of freshmen quarterbacks

And check the stats on East vs West. It's still fairly lop sided but the East made some ground up towards the end.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Georgia was the worst 10 win team in recent memory. Eason has no offensive line and no go to receivers...yet. His best receivers are also freshmen & sophomores including a TE who could be the next Jeremy Shockey/Gronk. UGA is just a super young team now at all the wrong places.

Hurts is surrounded by NFL draft picks. There may be 2 guys that get drafted from UGA this year and that's if Chubb leaves early. Georgias time should come soon... that said It's hard to argue that Hurts isn't a reason Alabama is winning. Usually teams win in spite of freshmen quarterbacks

And check the stats on East vs West. It's still fairly lop sided but the East made some ground up towards the end.
    Really????

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Really????

Yes, they were tough to watch last year. If they played in the SEC West they'd easily be the worst team.

...and yes...I can't think of many true freshman Qbs who came in and set the world on fire...can you?

There are some, but they're few and far between

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Yes, they were tough to watch last year. If they played in the SEC West they'd easily be the worst team.

...and yes...I can't think of many true freshman Qbs who came in and set the world on fire...can you?

There are some, but they're few and far between
    Maybe I'm missing something. You said teams are winning in spite of freshman quarterbacks. I have observed the opposite. Teams lose plenty of games and seasons because of freshman quarterbacks waiting for them to get better or serviceable. Normally freshman play the most when the season is lost and gone. Not many teams put all of their eggs in a freshman quarterbacks basket at the beginning and expect glowing results. Eason is what normally happens when you play a freshman qb. You win your fair share but you also lose games because they can't make the crucial plays they will make later in their careers. I would say the Eason/Georgia results are pretty common, and Georgia didn't start the season with him, they were hoping Lambert would be the guy. After that failed they lived and died with Eason. The Bulldogs are 1 game over .500. They should expect better next year because of his talent and experience. I would venture to say that was the feeling for the season once Eason took over. Next year will be our year, but we are going to take some lumps getting to next year. Georgia lost by 30 to Ole Miss early in the season. The season was over right there.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 11-27-16 at 07:36 PM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Maybe I'm missing something. You said teams are winning in spite of freshman quarterbacks. I have observed the opposite. Teams lose plenty of games and seasons because of freshman quarterbacks waiting for them to get better or serviceable. Normally freshman play the most when the season is lost and gone. Not many teams put all of their eggs in a freshman quarterbacks basket at the beginning and expect glowing results. Eason is what normally happens when you play a freshman qb. You win your fair share but you also lose games because they can't make the crucial plays they will make later in their careers. I would say the Eason/Georgia results are pretty common, and Georgia didn't start the season with him, they were hoping Lambert would be the guy. After that failed they lived and died with Eason. The Bulldogs are 1 game over .500. They should expect better next year because of his talent and experience. I would venture to say that was the feeling for the season once Eason took over. Next year will be our year, but we are going to take some lumps getting to next year. Georgia lost by 30 to Ole Miss early in the season. The season was over right there.

Ya you pretty much nailed what I was trying to say at least. Maybe its teams win despite freshmen Qb...it's been a long week

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Hurts won the offensive player of the year. Wow. Undefeated regular season. SEC division and conference champs. Who has done this in any conference. The favorite to win the national championship by a large margin. We are watching something that has never been done and may never be done again. Yet all I here is ho hum and crickets.

Sam Odom

seaborneg

1. he is on Ala... most people hate Bama

2. he is black... still many racists

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

If Hurts had these kind of results playing for virtually any other team, he'd be all you hear about in college sports media. But he plays for bama so it looks like business as usual.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    seaborneg

1. he is on Ala... most people hate Bama

2. he is black... still many racists
    Wow. I didn't want to go there, but.....................Both of those are true

12 Last