Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

Adios Charlie Strong!...gone after this season!

not really a surprise...Texas never wanted him in the first place...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/re...155551688.html

Underdog5229
    Chillin w/Goat til We Do it Again
    Underdog5229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1604

He won't make it past Sunday morning if he don't beat Oklahoma

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Red McCombs said they should fire him right now

Da Manster!

My only question and concern is why in the hell did they hire him in the first place when it was quite obvious he was never going to be given a fair shot to succeed?!...and by fair shot, I mean at least 4 years ( the usual time allotted for a coach's freshman recruiting class)...not only that but from day one there were malcontents, alumni, etc. that didn't want him (and we know the real reason why but we won't tread down that path).

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    My only question and concern is why in the hell did they hire him in the first place when it was quite obvious he was never going to be given a fair shot to succeed?!...and by fair shot, I mean at least 4 years ( the usual time allotted for a coach's freshman recruiting class)...not only that but from day one there were malcontents, alumni, etc. that didn't want him (and we know the real reason why but we won't tread down that path).
    This falls on coach strong...you never go to a top tier program unless you got support of the boosters/ alumni

Underdog5229
    Chillin w/Goat til We Do it Again
    Underdog5229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1604

You get 3yrs max to perform at top tier football programs

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    This falls on coach strong...you never go to a top tier program unless you got support of the boosters/ alumni
    very true, indeed.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog5229 View Post
    You get 3yrs max to perform at top tier football programs
    with all of the money that's involved, unfortunately this also sad but true...if LSU can piss and dump on one of the most successful coaches ever at that university (Les Miles) than anything is possible I guess.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Strong's two seasons have produced six wins, and then five wins. This season Texas is at 2-2 with games against OU, @ Kansas State and Texas Tech, and home to Baylor, West Virginia, and TCU. He is hosting Iowa State and goes to Kansas. So we have two sure winners (or what should be sure winners) and 6 possible losers. I cannot see Texas winning 7 game this season and that is the bare minimum he needs to retain his job. I said three years ago that he was a terrible hire that reeked of political overtones. Nothing has changed. If you recall, no one wanted the Texas job when it opened up so Teas takes Strong, knowing that if he fails, they will have gotten rid of the racial problem and can hire whoever they want.
    Points Awarded:

jackbo gave BigdaddyQH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

@ BigDaddy

No one wanted the job so how was it a political hire?

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

I posted this immediately after the game. Didn't need an article to know that he was done after that loss.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

As a life long ut fan this saddens me. Red Mccombs was pissed when he got hired. I think if he beats okla and has a winning season than he keeps his job. His problem was never being about to recruit the number 1 qb. The kid that starts right now chose texas after they tried to recruit Big time qb. Stongs problem is he doesn't trust freshman qb that is why cheryl's kidd keeps playing. As someone that has followed ohio st living 90 minutes from there and having many kids I knew as children play there. Losing herman played an integral part in osu not making the playoffs. Not sure if anyone would of beat last years ala but They would of giving a better showing of m.s.u and that lame ass coach put in. Just look at losing to indiana .
    U.T. should of went after herman before giving the job to coach but they think they are better than an assistant coach. But NO ONE HAS MORE MONEY THAN TEXAS. It is just a matter if someone can handle the likes of red looking over their shoulder.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    @ BigDaddy

No one wanted the job so how was it a political hire?
    It was a political hire in that Texas was getting a lot of outside pressure from the Liberal establishment to hire a black Head Coach. They were all unanimously behind Strong. Texas, knowing that their team was not real solid, figures it this way. If Strong is successful, then they are geniuses. If Strong falls on his arse (which most expected him to do and he has) then they get rid of him and tell the Liberal establishment to shove it up their arses. Texas vetoes Houston's entrance into the Big 12 (-2) and takes their HC. They may not have completely planned it this way, but it is the way it worked out. The one thing Texas knew was that there would be at least one big name successful HC available after this season.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Perpetually underachieving in his first two seasons. Program seems to routinely draw a solid recruiting class and routinely begins the season ranked.

A fanbase and AD can only take so much disappointment before they need to make a change.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    It was a political hire in that Texas was getting a lot of outside pressure from the Liberal establishment to hire a black Head Coach. They were all unanimously behind Strong. Texas, knowing that their team was not real solid, figures it this way. If Strong is successful, then they are geniuses. If Strong falls on his arse (which most expected him to do and he has) then they get rid of him and tell the Liberal establishment to shove it up their arses. Texas vetoes Houston's entrance into the Big 12 (-2) and takes their HC. They may not have completely planned it this way, but it is the way it worked out. The one thing Texas knew was that there would be at least one big name successful HC available after this season.
    There are no liberals with power in Texas, you dope.

Rick Perry and the conservatives were after the liberal President of UT. The new AD decided to give Mack Brown one more year. The conservative big wigs called up the president and told him he was out if he did not fire Brown. They were not going to support him. So one day after telling Brown his job was safe, the AD got a call from the president telling him he had to fire Brown. He was fired the next day.

So Texas did not have a coach on the radar and they had to take the best they could get which was Strong.

Strong's teams have been amazingly poorly coached considering how his Louisville teams played.

Strong is sucking up all the recruits that Baylor is losing and putting together a power house. But they may try to beat LSU to the Houston coach who can probably better coach Strong's recruiting classes.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 10-03-16 at 02:25 PM.

chico2663

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE SINGLE MOST STUPIDEST THING YOU SAID! No one wanted the job. They tried to hire nick saban . they tried to hire gruden. Now if you say that mccombs was pissed cause they hired a black man than i'll agree with that. But Patterson did hire 3 weeks into the processed and red was pissed because he has given a lot of money. The money men weren't involved in the hiring. If herman does leave than u of h goes back to obscurity and they won't be considered for the 12.
    Last edited by chico2663; 10-03-16 at 02:48 PM.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE SINGLE MOST STUPIDEST THING YOU SAID! No one wanted the job. They tried to hire nick saban . they tried to hire gruden. Now if you say that mccombs was pissed cause they hired a black man than i'll agree with that. But Patterson did hire 3 weeks into the processed and red was pissed because he has given a lot of money and they money men weren't involved. If herman does leave than u of h goes back to obscurity and they won't be considered for the 12.
    They did not try to hire Saban or Gruden. Saban was rumored and McCombs wanted Gruden but he was never a consideration. Strong is the only person that was considered for the job.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    They did not try to hire Saban or Gruden. Saban was rumored and McCombs wanted Gruden but he was never a consideration. Strong is the only person that was considered for the job.
    Absolutely WRONG. There were at least SEVEN coaches who Texas had conversations with before they finally gave in and took Strong. That does not mean that all of those people were asked to take the job, or even considered, but there were conversations. Everyone turned the job down because of the way the Mack Brown firing was handled. Everyone knew how Texas had already screwed the Big 12, and screwed Brown, so no one wanted to be associated with that program. That is when Texas decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Da Manster!

If coach Herman is smart, and I'm sure he is, he will stay at Houston and continue winning and going to conference championships in the AAC...he can recruit, he can coach, and has the all the intangibles of an up and coming elite type of coach...He should stay put and continue to build his program and legacy...why in the hell take a job at Texas or LSU where the pressure will be 1,000x's more great to succeed?...who could survive in such a stressful environment?!...or with someone looking over your shoulder every 5 mintues?!...hell, even Urban Meyer left Florida because of the rigors and pressure of competing in the SEC and the unrealistic expectations of having to play for a national championship year in and year out...he suffered a mild heart attack and was burned out and he was winning and dominating in the SEC!...Kudos to Saban for surviving and thriving...

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

If coach Herman is smart, and I'm sure he is, he will stay at Houston and continue winning and going to conference championships in the AAC...he can recruit, he can coach, and has the all the intangibles of an up and coming elite type of coach...He should stay put and continue to build his program and legacy...why in the hell take a job at Texas or LSU where the pressure will be 1,000x's more great to succeed?...who could survive in such a stressful environment?!...or with someone looking over your shoulder every 5 mintues?!...hell, even Urban Meyer left Florida because of the rigors and pressure of competing in the SEC and the unrealistic expectations of having to play for a national championship year in and year out...he suffered a mild heart attack and was burned out and he was winning and dominating in the SEC!...Kudos to Saban for surviving and thriving...

Hard for coach Herman to stay if he want to win a national championship and Houston not in a power 5 conference

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

chico2663

They did not try to hire Saban or Gruden. Saban was rumored and McCombs wanted Gruden but he was never a consideration. Strong is the on10

Nick Saban details talks with agent regarding Texas job in 2013

1 / 46

Alabama head coach Nick Saban signs autographs for the fans, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, at the SEC Media Days at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala. Vasha Hunt/vhunt@al.com
    Vasha Hunt | vhunt@al.com

PrintEmail
    By Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on July 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM, updated July 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Nick Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton, had ongoing conversations with Texas boosters and administration in 2013 regarding the possibility of Saban leaving Alabama to become the coach at Texas, discussions detailed in a new unauthorized Saban biography set to be released in early August.
    Those talks led to Sexton gauging his client's interest in the potential move.
    Saban has publicly denied ever being interested in leaving Alabama for Texas. He did so again at a booster club event in Pensacola, Fla. Tuesday night in the wake of excerpts from the biography being released.
    Sexton called Saban around 15 times in 2013 to talk about Texas, Saban said. His response, he said, was similar each time.
    "When somebody is interested in you, they call your agent, which they did," Saban said Tuesday night, via The Tuscaloosa News. "The agent calls you, and you tell the agent 'I'm interested' or 'I'm not interested.' So [Sexton] called me about 15 times about Texas, and every time he called I said 'I'm not interested in talking to them, and I never will be.'
    "That's the story. He did his job, I did my job."
    Texas athletic director Steve Patterson told the biography's author, Monte Burke, that he never spoke with Saban and that a contract was never offered.

Alabama put an end to any speculation in Dec. 2013, announcing a contract extension and raise for Saban, who is now under contract through 202ly person that was considered for the job.
    You are totally wrong.

chico2663

Rumor in ohio is he left fla because of upcoming sanctions. At least that was the rumor in cincinnati where he played college ball

lolz_69
    lolz_69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 375

Should have been fired a year ago. Big program like Texas should demand more. Would have been fired earlier if he wasn't black and "likeable"

chico2663

Quote Originally Posted by lolz_69 View Post
    Should have been fired a year ago. Big program like Texas should demand more. Would have been fired earlier if he wasn't black and "likeable"
    He beat oklahoma or he would of been fired. I hope they start winning. But someone said they lost the cal game on a bull shit call. I didn't watch so can't say. But if they are 3-1 are we having this conversation. I wouldn't doubt that red mccombs is the one putting out rumors

Buffalo Nickle

Absolutely WRONG. There were at least SEVEN coaches who Texas had conversations with before they finally gave in and took Strong. That does not mean that all of those people were asked to take the job, or even considered, but there were conversations. Everyone turned the job down because of the way the Mack Brown firing was handled. Everyone knew how Texas had already screwed the Big 12, and screwed Brown, so no one wanted to be associated with that program. That is when Texas decided to kill two birds with one stone.
    And who were those seven? Saban and Gruden included?

What a dope.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Catch77

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    You are totally wrong.
    "When somebody is interested in you, they call your agent, which they did," Saban said Tuesday night, via The Tuscaloosa News. "The agent calls you, and you tell the agent 'I'm interested' or 'I'm not interested.' So [Sexton] called me about 15 times about Texas, and every time he called I said 'I'm not interested in talking to them, and I never will be.'

Uh, no.

Agents talks to people all the time.

Buffalo Nickle

If he is smart, he will go to Texas or LSU. Houston is probably not getting in the Big 12 and he did not recruit most of his players. You strike while the iron is hot. He will be a nobody in 5 years if he stays at Houston.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They can't fire Strong in the middle of season. It's an election year, the coach is black, and BLM just murdered 5 cops in Texas. Do the math.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by lolz_69 View Post
    It's tough to pay three coaches $5 million per.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Les miles to Texas?

Be back to being Texas again.

Da Manster!

If he is smart, he will go to Texas or LSU. Houston is probably not getting in the Big 12 and he did not recruit most of his players. You strike while the iron is hot. He will be a nobody in 5 years if he stays at Houston.
    I disagree...who wants that pressure?!!...what if he goes there and has back-to-back sub .500 seasons?!...his ass gets fired and he's back to being a nobody again...conversely, Peterson did the right thing when he left Boise ST to go to Washington...big difference...there is less expectations and less stress...you don't have to win right away...so in essence it's much less of a gamble and very little pressure to succeed immediately.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

My only question and concern is why in the hell did they hire him in the first place when it was quite obvious he was never going to be given a fair shot to succeed?!...and by fair shot, I mean at least 4 years ( the usual time allotted for a coach's freshman recruiting class)...
    Give me a break. It never takes that long for a really good coach at a top-tier program. Look at Stoops at OU, Harbaugh at Michigan, Saban at Alabama, etc.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

if they hire les miles its over they may never win a game . miles cant call plays worth a sht at all.. 0 none..

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
    Give me a break. It never takes that long for a really good coach at a top-tier program. Look at Stoops at OU, Harbaugh at Michigan, Saban at Alabama, etc.
    dude, you are talking about some of the top college coaches in the country...they are the exception, not the rule...generally and usually speaking, most universities give their newly hired coaches at least one full recruiting class...(meaning at least 4 years)

12 Last