sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

Finally Someone Has The Balls

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nebrask...213734268.html
    Nebraska regent wants players who knelt for anthem off team

“It’s a free country,” Daub told the Journal Star on Tuesday. “They don’t have to play football for the university either.
    “They know better, and they had better be kicked off the team,” he added. “They won’t take the risk to exhibit their free speech in a way that places their circumstance in jeopardy, so let them get out of uniform and do their protesting on somebody else’s nickel.”
    Daub continued: “Those publicity seeking athletes ought to rethink the forum in which they chose to issue their personal views at the expense of everyone else.”
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: brainfreeze, Slanina, unde0087, TheMoneyShot, and opie1988

Electrons
    Electrons's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Balls for what? Daub should get fuked.

So, the Nebraska players are okay.....as long as they stay in line?

Fuk him. I love that Mike Riley said he would support his players no matter what they do.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: phil_abuster

Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Free speech has consequences.....I agree that people should be subject to them. I work work for a government organization that prohibits employees from openly supporting a presidential candidate at the workplace (no fliers, banners, stickers, etc) or I could be subject to reprimand. However, I am free to engage in such activities if I am willing to suffer the consequences. Social media has proved free speech has consequences.....players fined, suspended, lost sponsorships, etc.

Electrons

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Free speech has consequences.....I agree that people should be subject to them. I work work for a government organization that prohibits employees from openly supporting a presidential candidate at the workplace (no fliers, banners, stickers, etc) or I could be subject to reprimand. However, I am free to engage in such activities if I am willing to suffer the consequences. Social media has proved free speech has consequences.....players fined, suspended, lost sponsorships, etc.
    Universities/Colleges are about free speech, expression of protest, it's a fundamental part of the education experience.

Employers are a different bird.

If Nebraska wants to treat its football players like employees---they should start by paying them.

And, if Regents want to criticize players---yeah, good luck selling that on the recruiting trail.

That moron Daub just made Riley's recruiting job 10x tougher than it already was.

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Electrons View Post
    Universities/Colleges are about free speech, expression of protest, it's a fundamental part of the education experience.

If Nebraska wants to treat its football players like employees---they should start by paying them.

And, if Regents want to criticize players---yeah, good luck selling that on the recruiting trail.

That moron Daub just made Riley's recruiting job 10x tougher than it already was.
    lol

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Knockonwood
    Knockonwood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 764

If you're on my team you will be standing or take a seat at the end of the bench................If you can't do that then I would kick you off my team!!!!!!!

Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Maybe for students, but definitely not for state university employees.

True and that is the same for any employer that has such a policy. I can continue to work for them and keep my political opinions to myself or find an employer that allows me to freely express myself. Yes, the employer (in this case a University) would also suffer the consequences that athletes may prefer to go to another school to play football.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Daub is wrong here. This country was created on the principle of freedom of speech.

Electrons

Listen....I'm no left wing liberal.

I'm a libertarian.

We should be able to gamble, play poker, do whatever we want (without harming anyone) with our money.

And if you want to protest, PROTEST. Colleges/Universities are full of leftist morons that are more controlling than the far right.

Electrons

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Maybe for students, but definitely not for state university employees.

True and that is the same for any employer that has such a policy. I can continue to work for them and keep my political opinions to myself or find an employer that allows me to freely express myself. Yes, the employer (in this case a University) would also suffer the consequences that athletes may prefer to go to another school to play football.
    Football players are not employees.

If you are going to treat them as such, you better start paying them.

If an engineering student on academic scholarship wears a tshirt that reads "Black Lives Matter" at an engineering symposium, are you going to ask him/her to take her tshirt off?

brainfreeze
    Meaning

I'm good with freedom of speech ... but not at school where you should be learning about freedom of speech instead of trying to practice it, and not on a paid field ... DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME, kids don't go to school to get political, they go to get education... I guess this group wasn't " taught " to stand with hand over heart for the anthem

Electrons

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    I'm good with freedom of speech ... but not at school where you should be learning about freedom of speech instead of trying to practice it, and not on a paid field ... DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME, kids don't go to school to get political, they go to get education...
    Clearly you're not good with it.

Let me ask you this, the students who protested for Civil Rights legislation in the 1960s, were they allowed to protest?

Or those that protested the Vietnam War? Would you have let them protest?
    Points Awarded:

Stelio Kontos gave Electrons 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Daub is wrong here. This country was created on the principle of freedom of speech.
    No paver not when black players support thugs

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Clearly you're not good with it.

Let me ask you this, the students who protested for Civil Rights legislation in the 1960s, were they allowed to protest?

Or those that protested the Vietnam War? Would you have let them protest?
    One is at school to learn .... period. They are not there to influence, but to be influenced ...

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

He has a right to take a stand and I applaud him for it, however do it on his own dime. He is representing the university whilst wearing that uniform.

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

He just shows racism by saying protesting oppression is attention seeking
    This is called bearing false witness

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

What's next, start throwing fans out of the stadium, who don't stand for anthem?
    It's bad enough that that the NCAA is the most corrupt institution in sports....now the schools have to practice reverse logic as well?

phil_abuster
    phil_abuster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 855

"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man
    whose words make your blood boil,
    who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs
    that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours.
    You want to claim this land as the land of the free?
    Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag;
    the symbol also has to be one of its citizens
    exercising his right
    to burn that flag in protest! Show me that, defend that,
    celebrate that in your classrooms.
    Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free"

----- Michael Douglas' character in The American President
    Last edited by phil_abuster; 09-28-16 at 12:15 PM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Football players are not employees.

If you are going to treat them as such, you better start paying them.

If an engineering student on academic scholarship wears a tshirt that reads "Black Lives Matter" at an engineering symposium, are you going to ask him/her to take her tshirt off?
    Say I buy your argument about College Players (and I don't. Libertarians are full of sh*t. How many National Elections have you won?) What about Pro players? If you work for me, you do what I tell you to do or I kick your worthless arse out. It is MY team and it is MY right to do so. Agree or disagree?

Electrons

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Say I buy your argument about College Players (and I don't. Libertarians are full of sh*t. How many National Elections have you won?) What about Pro players? If you work for me, you do what I tell you to do or I kick your worthless arse out. It is MY team and it is MY right to do so. Agree or disagree?
    You can't sit down and protest on company time--or using company resources. If an NFL owner wants to cut one of his players over this issue--that's his choice. But, they're smart enough to know what will happen when it's free agency time and they're trying to sign a player or two....this issue will be a pain in the ass for him.

I worked for Goldman for 3 years, I would never have thought about going out and protesting on the corner of 32nd and 6th Avenue on company time, or using a Sachs car to take me there.

Students are not employees. Walk any college campus for the last 60 years and you will see some sort of protest going on, students exercising their right to free speech, being right wing/left wing crazy, it didn't matter.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Paver and I actually agree here. We said same thing about Clevenger.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

The paradox here is unreal

Neither side agrees with the other, but neither side can criticize the other without beig blatant hypocrites because all anyone is doing is expressing their first amendment right

But aren't critiques also just freedom of speech?

Must be exhausting getting offended by every non-offensive thing. Goes for both sides

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

It would be great if all the Nebraska black players knelt.. Just to fukk with this blowhard.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    It would be great if all the Nebraska black players knelt.. Just to fukk with this blowhard.
    Blacks roam Nebraska?

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

just come by my place and exercise some "free speech" I don't like.....

I'll knock you the fuk out.....

bring some militant black protesters along with you, so I can show both you and them how much black lives matter to me....

might as well effectivley "kill two birds with one stone" so long as I'm throwing punches.....

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Former black panther says black lives matter is a scam movement ...

Points Awarded:

shopbar picks gave brainfreeze 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Waiting for some liberal university like cal berkley or a historically black college to say "if you don't take a knee you are off the team"

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 119

This guy nailed it. Anyone has the right to do or say whatever they want, they have that right. Once you put on a uniform and are then representing not Only yourself but a business or school, then you abide by what they tell you ok.

Last time I checked even an athlete in school IS being paid with an educational scholarship, which is a privledge.

Electrons

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    This guy nailed it. Anyone has the right to do or say whatever they want, they have that right. Once you put on a uniform and are then representing not Only yourself but a business or school, then you abide by what they tell you ok.

Last time I checked even an athlete in school IS being paid with an educational scholarship, which is a privledge.
    That is the point you are missing.

The Nebraska University President does NOT have a problem with it.

He supports the players.

As does the coach.

It is the governor and a regent yapping.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 119

That is the point you are missing.

The Nebraska University President does NOT have a problem with it.

He supports the players.

As does the coach.

It is the governor and a regent yapping.
    When all this becomes "not cool" anymore, which won't be long from now, any person who let the flood gates open won't have a job anymore. The governor is covering his ass because what percentage of Nebraska you think is on board with this BLM/protest the anthem bullshit? I am guessing not too many. Its the stuff that gets you not relected especially in a farming state.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17000

ppl should be protesting the fact that we even have to listen to the anthem before every game.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

If everyone just ignored this obvious insincere way of drawing attention to themselves they wouldn't continue with it. It is an instant way to get attention and they have no idea what they are even protesting.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Not sure when the anthem fad started in sports games but unless the national team is playing there is no need to play it every night every time.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nothing wrong with holding your fist up but anyone that sits should be benched or thrown off the team

12 Last