CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

BYU Factor / Edge

Guys, I posted this a year ago. I am re-posting it for people that did not see it. This IDEA about BYU,is food for thought....agree or disagree,no problem.The Cougars will play Arizona on SAT.....Would like to hear some thoughts from people who follow BYU!!............... Really believe that BYU has an edge/advantage in it's 1'st game of season. Teams make their biggest improvement,bwt the 1'st and 2nd game. I am not talking about getting better as the season progresses. Talking about the simple X and O' of their play book. Making sure the off. tackles and guards open a space for the running back to run, making sure the pass protection will give time for the QB...ect. And vice a versa on the D side of game. Don't want to get too long here, but we are talking Young men(BYU) vs Boys( NEB. When attending BYU the student-athlete goes on a two year mission, to diff. parts of the world. And when they come back they are often red shirted. This has an effect to many athletic advantages. They learn many life lessons on their mission that serves them well on the football field. They are emotionally and physically more mature. For you that have been there,think about it....how much stronger were you at 18-19 years old as to when you were 23-24 years old!! Big difference! Many teams in the FBS start about 8-10 players that are 19 or younger. As for BYU many are 23 or older,in fact most Seniors on the Cougars are bwt. 24-26!! Oh,by the way BYU does not publish the birth date of their student athletes. So in a close game in the 4th Q, who's side would you like to be on?? The 25 year old def. end or the 19 year old off. guard?? Two more notes) #1 Last year BYU QB Hill missed 1/2 the season and still they ranked 14th nationally in points per game!! #2 Neb. holds the FBS best season opening win streak at 29 games!......​Bottom line: BYU has a competitive advantage...

CappinTerp

R ember guys I was talking about NEB. , because it was BYU's first game last season.

Jaycee Harland
    Jaycee Harland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

Actually terp, BYU QB taysom Hill missed all of the season, left in the first half of the first game to Neb. This guy is a stud! Had his first knee injury on the last play of an already decided game, came back the next year and was tearing it up. Ran for over 200 yds vs texas and got the DC fired. Was the best dual threat QB in the country, BAM injured the other knee. Came back and looked unstoppable in the first half vs Nebraska, running, passing. Injured his foot on a touchdown run, limped into the endzone, dropped the ball and walked into the lockerroom. Reports are that hes 100% (whatever that is for Hill). If that's true, this guy is a Heisman dark horse.
    BYU has a new coach with new energy, yes they are a bit older due to Mormon missions. I don't know how advantageous that is because the year and a half they are on the mission they don't play football or work out. BYU has 2 of the top 10 QBs in the nation and tanner Mangum (a better passer, maybe) will get snaps. Don't sleep on BYU. AZ is good and has their own good QB, is at home. This is a no-play for me, gun to my head, BYU will win.
    I'm a homer here, that may affect my judgement though.

CappinTerp

A OK Jaycee thanks. Not sure yet if I will bet the game.................................... .......................gl

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

If the BTP contest were this week, BYU would be my Best Bet pick. I really love them in this spot. Time will tell...first week of the season is tough to cap.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee Harland View Post
    Actually terp, BYU QB taysom Hill missed all of the season, left in the first half of the first game to Neb. This guy is a stud! Had his first knee injury on the last play of an already decided game, came back the next year and was tearing it up. Ran for over 200 yds vs texas and got the DC fired. Was the best dual threat QB in the country, BAM injured the other knee. Came back and looked unstoppable in the first half vs Nebraska, running, passing. Injured his foot on a touchdown run, limped into the endzone, dropped the ball and walked into the lockerroom. Reports are that hes 100% (whatever that is for Hill). If that's true, this guy is a Heisman dark horse.
    BYU has a new coach with new energy, yes they are a bit older due to Mormon missions. I don't know how advantageous that is because the year and a half they are on the mission they don't play football or work out. BYU has 2 of the top 10 QBs in the nation and tanner Mangum (a better passer, maybe) will get snaps. Don't sleep on BYU. AZ is good and has their own good QB, is at home. This is a no-play for me, gun to my head, BYU will win.
    I'm a homer here, that may affect my judgement though.
    Apparently this guy is just another injury waiting to happen. He will NOT last out the season. To think that BYU has 2 out of the to 10 QB's in the nation reeks of homerism and is utterly stupid. Houston's Greg Ward is much better than anything BYU has to offer.

Jaycee Harland

OK, Greg Ward is a good QB and is in the top 10 name 8 others that are better than Tanner Mangum. Odds are Taysom Hill wont last the season especially considering the way he plays. That being said, The Taysom Hill of 2 yrs ago was FAR better than Ward. Does that mean anything? we will see. Id take both of them in a heartbeat over most 1-2 QB tandems in the NCAA. Sure Im a homer, means I know both these guys pretty well. At this point its all speculation. I believe thats why the games are played. Lets see if modern medicine can work its magic. Gonna be fun.

crackerjack

I really like Magnum too but he's not a top 10 QB. Maybe with a bit more experience he could become one.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

BYU has a big advantage in terms of age and strength. On the other hand, they are a bunch of religious white guys that were not highly recruited. Going on a 2-year mission in the middle of your athletic career for a white guy also can have significant limitations. They can lose a step or lose their talent almost entirely.

In the end, it mostly offsets. Don't think BYU has a particular advantage coming into the season and the program has to deal with a lot of issues others do not.

BYU has a really good team this year and should beat Arizona but winning on the road is not easy and Arizona will have talent on the field.

crackerjack

Arizona is also on the road...this is a neutral site game.

I agree that the age of the players is a non-factor.

JamesBrown
    JamesBrown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

There will be more BYU fans at this game. I live in SLC, and this has been talked about to exhaustion here. I honestly feel they win straight up.

Jaycee Harland

BYU line has moved from +3 to -1 1/2 in a couple of days. Seriously doubt it is heavy Mormon action moving the line. Im in the city of salt myself (house of sugar) bigtime buzz on both major teams here. Although, to be fair, the Mormon money is probably responsible for a point or two. Looking forward to a great game. If Taysom Hill is back, lookout AZ!

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5409

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBrown View Post
    There will be more BYU fans at this game. I live in SLC, and this has been talked about to exhaustion here. I honestly feel they win straight up.
    Whats up man. I live in salt lake city too. Nice to know theres more sports betters.

CappinTerp

Yea, I just bet BYU but had to lay -2.5....I did see a -3, but that was from a book that always shades the fav. Put 2.5 units on it...................................... ......good luck to all,for a profitable weekend.

HeeluvaGuy
    HeeluvaGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3926

Field might not be in great shape. NFL preseason game was played there last night.

JamesBrown
    JamesBrown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    Whats up man. I live in salt lake city too. Nice to know theres more sports betters.
    Good to hear. I moved to Sandy from Vegas a few years back.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

AZ is one of those weird teams that either plays above their expectations or lays an egg. Passing on the game but rooting for AZ. Fuc.k those goofy ass mormons.