blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

ohhh boise state what have you started!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,216240

Boise State has its infamous "Smurf Turf," and Nebraska has what it likes to call the "Sea of Red" to describe the vast crowd inside Lincoln's Memorial Stadium. As of next fall, though, neither of them will have anything on I-AA Eastern Washington, which announced plans Wednesday to install an actual field of red:
    Taking a cue from Boise State's famous blue turf, Eastern Washington is planning to install an artificial red playing surface inside its football stadium. The Big Sky program's official school colors are red and white.
    Former EWU star Michael Roos, now in the NFL with the Tennessee Titans, has pledged $500,000 toward the "Red Turf Project.'' School officials in Cheney hope to raise additional private money and have the field installed for the 2010 season.
    [...]
    "There is no doubt that one of Boise State's claims to fame has been their blue turf and like it or dislike it, it has certainly brought them a tremendous amount of notoriety," EWU athletic director Bill Chaves said. "In a similar vein we have a tremendous opportunity at Eastern to do the same by differentiating ourselves with the red turf while providing a superior playing surface."
    The NCAA has no provision addressing the color of playing surfaces -- at least not yet -- because it hasn't had to consider the issue outside of the relatively obscure venues at Boise State and Division II University of New Haven, which installed its own blue turf last year. If it goes through with it, then, EWU's lava motif will be breaking ground on what promises to be a run on multi-colored turf by publicity-starved schools across the country; eventually, somebody somewhere is going to go with black. (I'm looking at you, Idaho.)
    Until then, Woodward Field, thy name is "Blood."

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Great. I can't wait to see Notre Dame's new Blue and Green turf. How about Northwestern going Purple? That is hysterical.

Cbaxter
    Cbaxter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice link black... I don't what they have started but it was entertaining.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Most of the fields will continue to match the college presidents favorite color....green (the same color as money)......Hmmmmm

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Wow, im starting to get a headache looking at that thing.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

No D-I school can do it anymore, just boise.......this is D2

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Great. I can't wait to see Notre Dame's new Blue and Green turf. How about Northwestern going Purple? That is hysterical.

Notre Dame doesn't even have a jumbotron. We'll be the LAST school to change anything. Hell I doubt it will be 100 years or so before we paint in the end zone.

DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

not of fan of colored turf...it's a distraction from the game. This needs to be stopped by the ncaa stat. I hate the blue turf of boise too. This is so ridiculous, just have green grass and standard fields with rules that have places for logos if the school wishes to have those.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

I love the smurf turf, if you play like boise you can have any color field you want.

StarPicks
    StarPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't imagine watching a game with red in the background the whole time. Interesting to see what color jersys they come out with.

Z_Wipf
    Z_Wipf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 275

The blue I can stand because its easy on the eyes but red would drive me crazy watching

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's actually pretty slick. As a player I think that would annoy the hell outta me though

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

I think it looks pretty sharp as well.