daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Big 12 talking expansion

Report: Big 12 to talk expansion at meetings

The Big 12 Conference will seriously discuss expansion at its conference meetings this week, reports the Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy.

A source told DeCourcy that BYU remains attractive but has "obstacles that appear to be too considerable," including an unwillingness to compete on Sundays. The Big 12 will reportedly consider Cincinnati, Connecticut, Central Florida and South Florida. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has long lobbied for the league to expand, arguing that the Big 12 is at a disadvantage to rival leagues with 12-15 schools. A recent rule change does allow 10-team leagues to hold a championship game, which lessens some of the pressure to add. Stay tuned.
    Source: Sporting News
    Feb 1 - 4:11 PM

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Cincinnati would be a decent fit. UConn and the Florida schools not so much.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

too much

UCONN cannot compete

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Cincy or Boise State.

Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Boise would be the one but they aren't joining the Big 12

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Cincinnati is a nice bridge between West Virginia and the rest of the conference. They would have to expand their stadium's seating capacity. Other teams from the ACC to consider are Memphis and East Carolina. No team from Texas will be considered, nor will Tulsa.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

Why don't they just add Houston

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Memphis and Cincinnati would be good additions.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post
    Memphis and Cincinnati would be good additions.
    The Big 12 already has half a league full of doormats, why would they want to add 2 more?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

To answer both questions. Houston will never get in because Texas will block any other Texas team from getting into the conference. They are already at the bottom of the conference when it comes to Texas teams, behind TCU, Baylor and T-Tech. Why make it worse? Besides, it screws up a very easy 2 division conference. The 4 Texas teams and the 2 Oklahoma teams in the South, and the others in the North. As far as doormats are concerned, Cincinnati and Memphis could easily defeat half of the Big 12-2 and maybe more. The Big 12 had better realize that until they get on equal footing with the other 4 Power 5 teams, they will always be "odd man out" if all things are equal with teams from other Power 5 conferences. This is the easiest way to get it.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

damn those Big 12 dumbasses must have short cranks..... tell them to just buy another monster-truck sized 4x4 to make up for their shortcomings....

expanding this pathetic conference makes no sense whatsoever

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Those are horrible choices they listed. Boise St would be a good one to get. Why not someone like Houston?

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

cincy has already taken steps to do with stadiums but when they play okl or ohio st. the use paul brown which is plenty big enough. Having a team that has oscar robertson or sandy koufax has to be an asset.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    cincy has already taken steps to do with stadiums but when they play okl or ohio st. the use paul brown which is plenty big enough. Having a team that has oscar robertson or sandy koufax has to be an asset.
    What do those two people have to do with the Big 12 or Football? What are you smoking?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    Those are horrible choices they listed. Boise St would be a good one to get. Why not someone like Houston?
    As I stated previously, there will NOT be another team from Texas in the Big 12 because UT will NOT allow it. It also screws up what would be the Big 12 South, consisting of UT, Baylor, T-Tech, TCU, OU and Okie State. That is set in stone.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by MUHerd37 View Post
    houston may seem like a good choice based on its present sure-to-be-short-lived stature. But given the school's history, once reality sets back in, houston will be the same "no true fan support" school/money loser it was back when it couldn't get into the big 12 to start with.....

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Cincy in Big 12 has outside shot. I'd gladly give the Big 12 Rutgers from the Big 10. What a joke. Let that be a lesson to the Big 12. Don't expand simply for the sake of expansion. Yes, they need a Big 12 Championship game for football, (I don't care if they all play each other anyway, play again) but adding any of those Florida schools would be a joke. BYU or Boise State would be great additions if they could get them, though.

I agree with earlier post, Houston makes sense but UT not going to allow that. I'd have rather the Big 10 got Houston than Rutgers...grabbing a small slice of a Texas market that actually cares, rather than Rutgers and their inept New Jersey ridden football and basketball programs.

Don't expand just to expand, but if the right team came up (BYU or Boise St.) then of course, you're crazy to not take either (or both) of those two.
    Last edited by infamousbacardi; 02-11-16 at 03:24 PM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I'm not sure Boise can hack it academically...if the big 12 even cares about that

cincinatti makes sense. USf & UCF hate each other...wouldn't need to be a package deal there.

Ive heard Colorado state, New Mexico, UConn ...

if I had to bet, I'd bet Cincy & UConn

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    To answer both questions. Houston will never get in because Texas will block any other Texas team from getting into the conference. They are already at the bottom of the conference when it comes to Texas teams, behind TCU, Baylor and T-Tech. Why make it worse? Besides, it screws up a very easy 2 division conference. The 4 Texas teams and the 2 Oklahoma teams in the South, and the others in the North. As far as doormats are concerned, Cincinnati and Memphis could easily defeat half of the Big 12-2 and maybe more. The Big 12 had better realize that until they get on equal footing with the other 4 Power 5 teams, they will always be "odd man out" if all things are equal with teams from other Power 5 conferences. This is the easiest way to get it.
    Big 12 doesn't need to add teams, they need to improve the ones they have. Texas being a doormat is a major problem for the Big 12. That was always a team that was part of national championship talks and now can't even recruit a qb that can complete a pass. Adding a couple more middle of the road teams isn't going to make the rest of the country all of a sudden say oh look at the Big 12. Memphis had a good year this past season but you put that same team in the power 5 league they would have been a game or two over .500 and Cincy wouldn't have been even in a bowl game.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Don't overestimate how strong teams in the so called "power 5" conferences really are. Let's take the Big 12, since they seem to be the conference that we are discussing now. Baylor ends up with 3 losses after playing non-cons SMU, Lamar and Rice. Any team that has been discussed as far as joining the Big 12 could defeat those three teams. Iowa State wins 3 games and loses to Toledo. Kansas loses all 12 games including a 55-23 rout at home to Memphis, one of the same teams that we are talking about. K. State needs wins against South Dakota, UTSA, and La. Tech to break even at .500, only to get massacred in their bowl game. Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State do well, but get killed in their respective bowl games. TCU plays well, but cannot beat the Oklahoma teams. Texas loses to Iowa State and West Virginia. Texas Tech has a decent year, but gets killed in their bowl game. West Virginia handles Liberty, Ga. Southern, and Maryland en route to an 8 win season. So tell me why Cincinnati and/or Memphis would not fit here. They probably would finish in the top half of the conference.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Don't overestimate how strong teams in the so called "power 5" conferences really are. Let's take the Big 12, since they seem to be the conference that we are discussing now. Baylor ends up with 3 losses after playing non-cons SMU, Lamar and Rice. Any team that has been discussed as far as joining the Big 12 could defeat those three teams. Iowa State wins 3 games and loses to Toledo. Kansas loses all 12 games including a 55-23 rout at home to Memphis, one of the same teams that we are talking about. K. State needs wins against South Dakota, UTSA, and La. Tech to break even at .500, only to get massacred in their bowl game. Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State do well, but get killed in their respective bowl games. TCU plays well, but cannot beat the Oklahoma teams. Texas loses to Iowa State and West Virginia. Texas Tech has a decent year, but gets killed in their bowl game. West Virginia handles Liberty, Ga. Southern, and Maryland en route to an 8 win season. So tell me why Cincinnati and/or Memphis would not fit here. They probably would finish in the top half of the conference.
    Without reading a word of what you said, I would bet my nicest house that every point you just made is unequivocally wrong.

unde0087
    Did we win?

All I am saying if they want a championship game to get on an even playing field with the rest of the power 5 then do it, they don't have to add 2 more teams. All I am saying is adding two teams that on average aren't that great doesn't do much for the conference. Memphis shot up because they had the best qb the school has had in forever. Like I said before adding Houston would be making the Big 12 better instantly. The thing about the Big 12 is you have teams like Baylor, who play embarrassing schedules, and then cry about not getting respect. If they scheduled better outside the conference as a whole and just added the championship game there is no need to add teams that in the end aren't doing anything to the overall product of the conference

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Without reading a word of what you said, I would bet my nicest house that every point you just made is unequivocally wrong.
    !. You do not own a house. 2. You cannot afford me. 3. The wager is on big mouth. 100K. You had better be able to pay up or else.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    All I am saying if they want a championship game to get on an even playing field with the rest of the power 5 then do it, they don't have to add 2 more teams. All I am saying is adding two teams that on average aren't that great doesn't do much for the conference. Memphis shot up because they had the best qb the school has had in forever. Like I said before adding Houston would be making the Big 12 better instantly. The thing about the Big 12 is you have teams like Baylor, who play embarrassing schedules, and then cry about not getting respect. If they scheduled better outside the conference as a whole and just added the championship game there is no need to add teams that in the end aren't doing anything to the overall product of the conference
    I think you also have to look at the other sports, or at least that is the excuse conferences use. Currently, Cincinnati is 18-7 in hoops. Memphis is 14-10. Cincinnati certainly has a good enough record to join the "Big Dance" this season. Boise State does not do much ion any other sport and they also have a very small stadium. We all know about BYU's problems.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

!. You do not own a house. 2. You cannot afford me. 3. The wager is on big mouth. 100K. You had better be able to pay up or else.
    Shut up ya 35 cent betting fraud. Go get my towel you cokk inhaling old fukk!

gambler705
    gambler705's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2364

I can afford you Barry, and a few cents left over for Mary. No go back to your nursing home

unde0087
    Did we win?

I think you also have to look at the other sports, or at least that is the excuse conferences use. Currently, Cincinnati is 18-7 in hoops. Memphis is 14-10. Cincinnati certainly has a good enough record to join the "Big Dance" this season. Boise State does not do much ion any other sport and they also have a very small stadium. We all know about BYU's problems.
    I was talking strictly football, we all know that Cincinnati is always going to be a legit basketball program and Memphis is always alright as well. I am just looking at it from the football point of view as I thought most of why the Big 12 would want to do this would really be football related as they can't stand to be the red headed step child to the rest of the power 5.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    I was talking strictly football, we all know that Cincinnati is always going to be a legit basketball program and Memphis is always alright as well. I am just looking at it from the football point of view as I thought most of why the Big 12 would want to do this would really be football related as they can't stand to be the red headed step child to the rest of the power 5.
    I totally agree but since these conferences always use "other sports" as a reason to add schools, Cincinnati and Memphis have plenty of that to sustain that argument.

megamillionslose
    megamillionslose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3740

Meercats wise to stay in the AAC!

As long as clueless,salad tossing,cocksmoking moron Bohnhead remains the Cincy AD the Meercats would be far worse off in the Big 12. Dummy Flubberville & Prick Groanin will NEVER amount to anything in the NCAA postseason even from the weak AAC(Houston FB with ex-Buckeyes offensive genius Herman the rare exception)

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Memphis has been wanting to join a legitimate conference for years.

This guy is a hamburger Florida homer, but he's kinda right. The big 12 should have UCF & USf on the top of their lists. Really, bringing in those two as well as memphis & Cincinatti would make sense.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...201-story.html

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Bringing in 4 additional teams would make no sense at all. It either will be two teams or none. There are no other options.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Take away Cinci and Memphis and that American conference looks more like a mid major than a power 5.

Z-Fly
    Z-Fly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1803

Cincinnati just dumped a ton of money into the stadium. Paul Brown (Bengals Stadium) is also just a few miles south. I get the doormat stuff. They were supposed to be the doormat when they entered the Big East. I doubt lighting strikes twice, but the school and the city is committed to football.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2007. The year after Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) left, and Brian Kelly (Notre Dame) came in. The total cost per seat for the season was $60, at that point. It is around $250 now for the same seats.

I'd love for them to get in the Big 12, but I'm not holding my breath. Cincinnati is a hot bed for High School football. The recruits seem to be leaving town more often now, since the cats are in the AAC.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Take away Cinci and Memphis and that American conference looks more like a mid major than a power 5.
    The AAC IS a mid major conference, NOT a power 5 conference.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Cincinnati have been privately lobbying to join the Big 12.

The Cincinnati Enquirer published emails between school president Santa Ono and Oklahoma president David Boren, the latter a known supporter of both conference expansion and Cincy's cause to join the Power 5 ranks. West Virginia president Gordon Gee is another strong supporter of conference expansion. "I am indeed optimistic that through these efforts the University of Cincinnati is positioned exceptionally well to continue to compete at the highest level," Ono told the Cincinnati Enquirer in a statement. Santa hopes to give Bearcat fans the gift of big-time football in the coming year.
    Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
    Feb 15 - 6:16 PM

1234 Last