donkbetter
    donkbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1746

Is this the mismatch of the bowl season?

Washington Huskies vs Southern Mississippi
    I am liking this one although I liked Washington State against Colorado St. two years ago and lost my butt on that one. This looks like the same kind of mismatch only the Huskies have a great coach now and isnt the idiot Leach is.
    I think the Huskies will take this seriously and like a write up said So. Miss could not handle the two decent opponents they faced- they got wiped out. Otherwise in teams of their stature they kicked butt with a strong offense.
    My guess is Wa. State offense is stronger than So. miss and the huskies trashed the cougars.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

That write up is all over the place...

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

I like the under, and I like Washington to cover.

coitus_maximus
    coitus_maximus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4080

That write up would not convince me to take Wash over USM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Definately not. Washington was an average team, going 6-6 S/U and 6-5 ATS. they were 4-7 U against the total. They are 8 1/2 point favorites against a team who was left for dead this season having won 4 games in the previous 3 seasons. Southern Miss has 9 wins and is 9-3 ATS this season. As usual, the big question is which Washington team shows up.

Justfollow
    Justfollow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Southern miss defensive was pretty beaten up in the western Kentucky game. Dont know how much they healed. Its a long day if they haven't fully recovered

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Mismatch of the bowl season was last night in Hawaii.

if southern miss wasn't so banged up, they could win SU

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Wash should be too strong here.

70CoupeDeVille
    70CoupeDeVille's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 672

"Washington was an average team."

"Was" is the operative term. Let's take more than a superficial look at the team: Things began in rebuilding mode for the Huskies -- a true freshman QB and most of their defensive front seven. Forecasters pegged their win total at four. Well, Chris Peterson is one of the nation's top ten coaches, IMO. He got them to a couple more wins than that, and the young team finished very strongly. They're solid now; especially, the freshman QB Browning keeps playing better and better. Over the season the Huskies averaged 29.5 points and allowed just 17.8. They're probably the Pac-12's toughest defense now, and this team is going to kick serious ass next season. Meanwhile, reports say Peterson is taking this bowl game seriously, having lost last year's.

A 4,000 yard passer and two 1,000 yard rushers, that's what Southern Miss is sportin'. Playing good D, too, near the top of the conference. Tough 17-point loss to Western Kentucky, but that's where losing the turnover battle by three will get you against such a quality opponent, not to mention So Miss's bizarre casualties toll -- guys were dropping right and left. Anyway, going against Washington is a step up in class, not so much over W Ky but over Conference USA. Still, if the Golden Eagles take care of the rock against the Huskies, this should be a hell of a game. I have a little on the over, and I'm thanking the bowl committees for serving up such delectable fare.

Mmm, good!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Definately not. Washington was an average team, going 6-6 S/U and 6-5 ATS. they were 4-7 U against the total. They are 8 1/2 point favorites against a team who was left for dead this season having won 4 games in the previous 3 seasons. Southern Miss has 9 wins and is 9-3 ATS this season. As usual, the big question is which Washington team shows up.
    Last edited by 70CoupeDeVille; 12-26-15 at 07:12 AM.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Looks like it early on

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

OP, i liked your writeup but didn't respond because i was wishy-washy (half agreed, half disagreed).......

i thought your logic made alot of sense BUT my general trepidation is that SoMiss draws from so much of a better football recruiting area. alot of kids in Mississippi (and everywhere from texas to florida, georgia/SC too) who are 2 star prospects would be 3 star prospects (maybe the odd one would be 4*) elsewhere, especially washington state (i do realize that washington gets tons of kids from california too).. so i think SoMiss arguably has alot of talent.

also, SoMiss has so much positive energy from this season, whereas i doubt washington does (they are relieved it wasn't the predicted disaster).

anyhow, liked your writeup and you may prove correct.... i was wishy/washy undecided.