BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

BYU Hires UnknownTo Be Their Head Coach

BYU announced that they have hired Oregon State D.C. Kilani Sitake as their new Head Coach. This is a rather desperate hire IMO. Oregon State managed to lose their last 9 games in a 2-11 effort this past season. Their defense gave up over 40 points 3 times this season and over 50 four times. Sitake is a former BUY player. it looks as if the fortunes of BYU get worse and worse.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

They are hiring him because he was DC at Utah and had a kick ass defense and is a Mormon and from BYU. He was basically their only choice other than the Navy coach. He's an up-and-comer. Risky hire but anyone they hired was going to be a risk. He'll probably keep them where they are at but they could easily take a step back. It's a tough job.

This guy probably keeps the present OC and takes over the D which he is very good at and not much changes. The only question is how good a recruiter he will be.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-20-15 at 03:31 PM.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

Anyone from Mendenhall is an upgrade. Good hire.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Not anybody. Mendenhall was much better than Crowton. I doubt Sitake will do as well as Mendenhall did.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

If it was a desperate move they wouldnt have done it so quick, its more than likely the guy they want. Who you like in the WKU/USF game QH?

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Good hire considering they weren't paying anyone you've ever heard of. BYU wants to be power 5 but doesn't want to spend power 5 money... head coach needs to be active LDS... like not pretend go to church once a week active... like straight up hardcore Mormon active. They won the NC in 1984 when all you had to do was go undefeated regardless of a shitty schedule... they'll never win another one with the restrictions they have.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Lol how?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

- Mendenhall was great. We talked about this earlier.

- I throw the OSU year out. No talent there, especially on D, brand new coach, etc.

- Still seems like they could have done better. Knowing the Mormon game is huge with them apparently, which I get, but yeah, seemed a bit desperate.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I agree it was time for a change. Glad Mendenhall left...

They couldn't have done better without paying a ton more money and without going outside the church to search. As big as football, BYU is still ultimately a private church school subsidized by members' tithes and offerings. They want to compete and they want people to stop saying BYU football is dirty. They also want to use the team as a missionary tool.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    I agree it was time for a change. Glad Mendenhall left...

They couldn't have done better without paying a ton more money and without going outside the church to search. As big as football, BYU is still ultimately a private church school subsidized by members' tithes and offerings. They want to compete and they want people to stop saying BYU football is dirty. They also want to use the team as a missionary tool.
    Where did the idea that BYU football is dirty come from?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    If it was a desperate move they wouldnt have done it so quick, its more than likely the guy they want. Who you like in the WKU/USF game QH?
    Tough game to call. It is the USF defense against the Western offense. One of the better bowl games. I have no wagering interest. My kids are in various pools and seem to like Western, so I guess I will pull for them, but it really does not matter to me.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I have no idea what BYU is thinking. They want to be considered a Power 5 School, yet they make a terrible Head Coaching hire. The fact of the matter is that BYU is being used by the rest of the Power 5 Conference teams. If a Power 5 team schedules them, they count as a Power 5 opponent, yet they get no benefit from the other 5 Conferences. They are being used like a cheap whore. Their 2016 schedule includes games on the road against Arizona, Utah, and Michigan State, and West Virginia in Landover MD, and home games against UCLA, and Mississippi State, yet the best bowl they can hope for, unless they go undefeated (and that is NOT going to happen), is a tier 3 Bowl Game. Because BYU opted to play in the Royal Purple Bowl this season, they are now obligated to play in the Hawaii Bowl in 2019. It is bowl games like that which are BYU's destiny. They are finished as a college power.