TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

BG Coach Dino Babers to become next Syracuse HC

Sources confirm.

If this is indeed true, is Northern Illinois the play tomorrow night? I don't have it documented, but it seems like when something like this occurs, the play is to fade the departing head coach.

Hard to play NIU though with their third-string QB starting...may be a pass altogether. Just angle-hunting here. Thoughts?

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

yikes, Syracuse is really an awful job. surprised he couldn't get something better with all the openings.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

SU is an awful job now, but whenever the right guy turns it around, it'll be a gold mine for him.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchafe View Post
    Sources confirm.

If this is indeed true, is Northern Illinois the play tomorrow night? I don't have it documented, but it seems like when something like this occurs, the play is to fade the departing head coach.

Hard to play NIU though with their third-string QB starting...may be a pass altogether. Just angle-hunting here. Thoughts?
    It does help that NIU is a rushing team as well so it isn't a huge blow another backup qb is in. It just so hard to predict these MAC games but I do agree that should be a pretty big distraction for BG

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Not that bad of a job to have IMO.

Cuse fans will see a different brand of football, and that can only be a good thing.

MAC coaches are feast or famine. Usually famine. Hope they didn't sign him for too long.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Syracuse done

Just not a football school anymore and a tough sell to players

TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

May be a correlated type parlay game boys...NIU and under, BG and over

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7787

this guy's gonna be the next turner gill.

i don't know anything about this third string qb, nor do i know why i am fascinated about posting about this game that i'm not betting on, but niu, when in the world have they been this big of a dog to a fellow mac opponent?

well i'll tell you. at central michigan in 2009 they were +13.5, and at the time central michigan i believe was coached by butch jones and were absolutely steamrolling everyone. i think they beat michigan state that year.

now i'm not betting on this game, but i'm seeing a disproportionate amount of love for bowling green and it's possible that we're overlooking the proud, rich husky tradition. good luck with your bets.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    this guy's gonna be the next turner gill.

i don't know anything about this third string qb, nor do i know why i am fascinated about posting about this game that i'm not betting on, but niu, when in the world have they been this big of a dog to a fellow mac opponent?

well i'll tell you. at central michigan in 2009 they were +13.5, and at the time central michigan i believe was coached by butch jones and were absolutely steamrolling everyone. i think they beat michigan state that year.

now i'm not betting on this game, but i'm seeing a disproportionate amount of love for bowling green and it's possible that we're overlooking the proud, rich husky tradition. good luck with your bets.
    The next Turner Gill? Seriously?

texhooper

you wanna take this outside bigdaddy?

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Turner Gill at Kansas I presume? I think expectations much much lower at Syracuse vs. KU immediate post-mangino

I agree that time has passed Syracuse by...

Ralphie Halves

Syracuse a much bigger program than you guys are making it out to be.

Off the top of my head, MAC coaches to do well after the MAC with a mid to large program -- Butch Jones, Brain Kelly, Meyer, Pinkel. And you have to go back for those. You could even say Saban, but again, gotta go way back.

Failed (all recently) - Hazell, Gill, Martin, Hoke, Clawson (still early, but bad so far), Golden, Beckman

texhooper

turner gill leaves mac school for power 5 job at struggling school, lasts two years and is gone.

i could see things going similarly for this guy, especially if he wants to dick around with style of play and turn cuse into an uptempo spread offense.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post

Off the top of my head, MAC coaches to do well after the MAC with a mid to large program -- Butch Jones, Brain Kelly, Meyer, Pinkel. And you have to go back for those. You could even say Saban, but again, gotta go way back.

Failed (all recently) - Hazell, Gill, Martin, Hoke, Clawson (still early, but bad so far), Golden, Beckman
    not that I know all those names but hoke was good at SDSU. I'd called Beckman "good" at Illini. even Golden was ok for awhile at M-F... NC state coach too.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    you might be right (serious comment)...

I'd say there's no reason someone can't do a Boise State at around 25 different geographically challenged schools but few have. maybe Utah is another good example.

is Syracuse a lot less desirable than WSU or Colorado (or even Nebraska)?

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchafe View Post
    Sources confirm.

Bowl teams that lose their coach usually show up and win outright

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

Agree 100 percent, this is a terrible hire. Syracuse should have gone after Schiano.

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    turner gill leaves mac school for power 5 job at struggling school, lasts two years and is gone.

i could see things going similarly for this guy, especially if he wants to dick around with style of play and turn cuse into an uptempo spread offense.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    not that I know all those names but hoke was good at SDSU. I'd called Beckman "good" at Illini. even Golden was ok for awhile at M-F... NC state coach too.
    I don't count SDSU as a 'mid to large' program. I'm a Mountain West guy, so I hate to say it, but those teams are no higher than MAC teams right now talent-wise.

Beckman and Golden were fails. Forgot about Doeren though. I remember the really good and really bad, but NCST has been so mediocre for so long I always forget them.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    you might be right (serious comment)...

I'd say there's no reason someone can't do a Boise State at around 25 different geographically challenged schools but few have. maybe Utah is another good example.

is Syracuse a lot less desirable than WSU or Colorado (or even Nebraska)?

I'd say they're on par with a lesser Pac-12 program like that, maybe even better. ACC, good alumni support, draws good sized crowds, etc. Has a lot going for it. Most of NY state roots for Cuse. They draw kids from western PA too. Not that far removed from the Marrone years where they were crushing it. They just need another good HC to take over, they're well-equipped to do well otherwise.

Nowhere near as big as Nebraska though. That's still a really really huge program.

StatePenn
    StatePenn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 358

If Babers does not take the Syracuse job, look for Randy Edsall to emerge. Heard Babers may have interest in the HC position at East Carolina and has yet to make a decision on the Syracuse job and he may not make a decision until after the bowl game. SU wants to have someone hired sooner.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Syracuse does not get the recruits anymore

Hoops sinking too because of Boheim..he ruined program