Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2498

Memphis coach Justin Fuente to take over at Va Tech...good choice!

breaking news...just saw it flash while watching OSU and Michigan...excellent choice and decision by both parties!...

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11653

Why not Bud Foster? Shocked he's agreeing to stay the DC.

I guess he has no desire to be a Head coach.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

VT will have an offense to go with that defense good for them.... Bud foster is staying there right not sour grapes that they didn't offer him after he's been so loyal to the program?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Shouldn't they have waited for the memphis game to end first?

Da Manster!

Stealthy,
    you and I are both from the area...IMO, Bud Foster is not head coaching material...I think he's happy and content doing what he does best without all of the headaches, rigors, and nuances of being a head coach...

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    Why not Bud Foster? Shocked he's agreeing to stay the DC.

I guess he has no desire to be a Head coach.
    beat me to it Fuente is the right call but yeah bud foster could have left for a HC job a bunch of times kinda fukked up

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

Hope he realizes he won't be playing SMUs in the ACC

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 684

I don't believe it's that great of a hire. Like another guy said Bud Foster should have gotten the job if you aren't going to hire a big name. Kind of a mickey mouse hire.

teaserpleaser

It was good the thing holding tech back was that conservative offense ...Fuente will fix that and if they keep foster for the defense I don't see why they can't get back to being VT again I don't see them winning ACC championships anytime soon again or any of that but yeah it should be an improvement. Hire bud foster as HC risk having that terrible or conservative offense again. Can't blame a defensive guy for wanting to play field position.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    I don't believe it's that great of a hire. Like another guy said Bud Foster should have gotten the job if you aren't going to hire a big name. Kind of a mickey mouse hire.
    what are you talking about?!!...you do know that South Carolina desperately wanted Fuente as well?!...not only them, but a lot of teams that have head coaching vacancies as well...he would have been a hot commodity...the hokies were pro-active instead of reactive and it paid dividends...Fuente is a damn good coach that is very offensive minded and that is something Va Tech will need...they've always had good defense and will continue to do so now that Foster agreed to stay on as D-Coordinator.

teaserpleaser

That's cool espn just flashed that bud is staying on staff...

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    It was good the thing holding tech back was that conservative offense ...Fuente will fix that and if they keep foster for the defense I don't see why they can't get back to being VT again I don't see them winning ACC championships anytime soon again or any of that but yeah it should be an improvement. Hire bud foster as HC risk having that terrible or conservative offense again. Can't blame a defensive guy for wanting to play field position.
    agreed teaserpleaser...I also think that Bud Foster is happy and content with just running the defense and being a D-coordinator...remember, a few years ago Va tech gave him and the rest of the staff a huge raise so it's not like he's not getting paid...one of the best possible hires Va tech could have made and it will only be a matter of time before they become dominant again like they were in the 90's...

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    what are you talking about?!!...you do know that South Carolina desperately wanted Fuente as well?!...not only them, but a lot of teams that have head coaching vacancies as well...he would have been a hot commodity...the hokies were pro-active instead of reactive and it paid dividends...Fuente is a damn good coach that is very offensive minded and that is something Va Tech will need...they've always had good defense and will continue to do so now that Foster agreed to stay on as D-Coordinator.
    I am just saying I wouldn't be shocked if Foster quits. VT is a defensive school and special teams, not a spread offense put up 50 a game school. Fans will like it for about half a season until they see the defense go to shit then it won't be cool anymore.

teaserpleaser

Be fun to watch , really no reason VT can't challenge to wins the coastal division every year.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

No wonder the Memphis wheels fell off the past 3 weeks. Way to derail a season Fuentes.

teaserpleaser

Still can't believe lynch couldn't pick apart that navy defense I thought they'd drop at least 40+ on them after lynch picked ole miss defense apart I was like well there's no stopping them...wrong

TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

Everyone had pep in their step at work this afternoon...it's VT country out here, after all. Gotta make it to a game in Blacksburg next year

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    No wonder the Memphis wheels fell off the past 3 weeks. Way to derail a season Fuentes.
    happens all the time in college football...nothing new here...you snooze, you lose....I don't like it and I don't condone it, but it's just the nature of the beast.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchafe View Post
    Everyone had pep in their step at work this afternoon...it's VT country out here, after all. Gotta make it to a game in Blacksburg next year
    Can't wait to see the hokies with a great offense to go along with their great defense!...not since the days of Mike Vick...

unde0087
    Did we win?

Can't wait to see the hokies with a great offense to go along with their great defense!...not since the days of Mike Vick...
    While I would like to see VT solid again, because it's good for the ACC and college football, VT isn't going to be a great defensive team with this coach, they just arent. Maybe it will be good for VT, but when I think of the Hokies I think of smash mouth football not spread offense let's see who can score 50 first. That's what coming to town with this guy.

Da Manster!

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    While I would like to see VT solid again, because it's good for the ACC and college football, VT isn't going to be a great defensive team with this coach, they just arent. Maybe it will be good for VT, but when I think of the Hokies I think of smash mouth football not spread offense let's see who can score 50 first. That's what coming to town with this guy.
    but what about the fact that they retained Bud Foster?!...He'll make appropriate adjustments...and he will still get the defensive players that he wants for his system...they'll be alright, man...

unde0087
    Did we win?

but what about the fact that they retained Bud Foster?!...He'll make appropriate adjustments...and he will still get the defensive players that he wants for his system...they'll be alright, man...
    Well we can agree on one thing, VT needs to score more and they will get that with this guy

TheSchafe

You near Blacksburg pal?

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

You near Blacksburg pal?
    Are you?

TheSchafe

Are you?
    About an hour away, yeah.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

About an hour away, yeah.
    Unreal a fellow Virginian

Though I'm from the DMV area, NoVa and the of VA are like two completely different worlds.

Love Blacksburg - Lovely town and Lane Stadium is a helluva place. I go down there from time to time - got alotta friends who went there.

Da Manster!

You near Blacksburg pal?
    grew up in the DMV...and currently reside in Annapolis, MD!...

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7589

it's a great hire, hokie nation will really enjoy fuente.

memphis defense last year was great, but the dc left for missouri. so it's not like fuente is clueless about defense and how to approach games from that side of the ball. lost most of the playmakers on defense as well and basically had to rely on offense this year.

aside from all that, the number one thing about fuente is his ability to get guys coached up, and that skill will come in handy at va tech where you're not going to be getting 5 star guys on top of 5 star guys. top 3 receivers for memphis this year were all walkons at one point, and paxton lynch has gone from the worst qb in the country (for real) his freshman season to a top nfl prospect by his junior year.

dynamite hire by va tech.
    Points Awarded:

Da Manster! gave texhooper 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Da Manster!

Da Manster!

great post Tex...I totally agree 100%...

TheSchafe

Unreal a fellow Virginian

Though I'm from the DMV area, NoVa and the of VA are like two completely different worlds.

Love Blacksburg - Lovely town and Lane Stadium is a helluva place. I go down there from time to time - got alotta friends who went there.
    Can't take credit for being a lifelong resident of this wonderful state pal...from NJ my entire life until 6 months ago. Relocated for work and crazy low cost of living. I'm way down in SWVA...20 miles north of Abingdon, if you know where that is. Nice little small town called Lebanon. I'm hooked for life

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7589

sad to see him go, but it's a testament to him that i will now be paying much more attention to va tech and pulling for them to get back on track.