ClippersSux
    ClippersSux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1047

Pace/Tempo in College Football

Anyone know which site offer team stats on how quickly they snap the ball on offense? I'll donate 1,000 points for the first person with the correct info.

Gradius
    Gradius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 625

As far as public stats, I can't find any, but what you can do is use these pages:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...plays-per-game - Plays per game

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...-pct-net-of-ot - Time of possession %.

What you can do is take the TOP%, multiply by 60 to get how many minutes each team possesses the ball, then take that result and divide by the number of plays per game that the team runs. After that, take the result and divide by 60 seconds to get how many seconds per play each team runs. For example:

Tulsa has an average of 87.9 plays per game, and they possess the ball 46.8% of the time (about 28.1 minutes per game out of 60 minutes). Multiply 28.1 x 60 seconds = 1686 seconds; divide 1686 / 87.9 = 19.2 seconds per play.

Now obviously this is quite crude, as teams can be down by a lot and play faster, or they can be up by a lot and play slower. I would believe that the first half of a game would be more indicative of how a team truly plays. I would also try to limit it based on how close the score is (Two possession game or less in the first 3 quarters, one possession game in the first 10 minutes of the 4th quarter, and tie game towards the last 5 minutes). You can make changes based on your research to this, based on your research or the research of others.

Generally though, the teams with the most plays per game tend to play faster than the teams with the least plays per game. If you see a very good team with a high amount of plays per game, then it likely means they like to play fast (Baylor, for example), and if you see a bad team playing slow, then it likely means they like to play slow.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

Thanks.

ClippersSux
    ClippersSux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1047

Gradius,
    Thanks for the info. It's a good starting point. Btw, I tried to give you points but I received an error that says user is not allowed to receive points.

Gradius
    Gradius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 625

Not sure why it would say that, but seeing as how I don't really visit this forum much, it doesn't really matter.