greypimps
    greypimps's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1736

i hope oklahoma lose for being a poosy

Playing keep away with a whole quarter left, now tcu knocking on the door.. please upset...

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Lol I always laugh when teams go for 2 in that spot, just take the motivation into OT. They usually fail when going for 2. Dumb, youre lucky to even be in the ball game.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Lol I always laugh when teams go for 2 in that spot, just take the motivation into OT. They usually fail when going for 2. Dumb, youre lucky to even be in the ball game.
    You say that like it's commonplace. Teams rarely go for two in that situation. TCU is a team decimated by injuries and were fortunate that a conservative 2H gameplan by the Sooners allowed them to even be in the game. That being said, Patterson knew he wouldn't hold an edge in overtime, as Oklahoma would surely come out of it's shell in a must-score scenario. TCU, playing on the road, with a decided personnel disadvantage, figured their best chance to win the game was advancing the ball three yards, sealing it in regulation. It didn't work out in the end, but I don't disagree with the call.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    You say that like it's commonplace. Teams rarely go for two in that situation. TCU is a team decimated by injuries and were fortunate that a conservative 2H gameplan by the Sooners allowed them to even be in the game. That being said, Patterson knew he wouldn't hold an edge in overtime, as Oklahoma would surely come out of it's shell in a must-score scenario. TCU, playing on the road, with a decided personnel disadvantage, figured their best chance to win the game was advancing the ball three yards, sealing it in regulation. It didn't work out in the end, but I don't disagree with the call.
    And they lost. Ive seen that exact scenario many, many times. Usually ends up the same exact way alot more times than not. I bet they wish now they had kicked the extra point.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

OU was dominating and in complete control until their starting QB left the game with injury and the #1 and #2 RBs also left with injruy. Perine came back later but he was limping. Now here is why TCU should have won....

TCU went for 2 with 10 minutes left in the third quarter and failed. If they had just kicked the extra point, they would have been in position to win without going for 2 at the end of the game.

Even at the end of the game, if TCU had just kicked the extra point, they would have still probably won. OU only had 20 yards off offense and Knight couldn't pass at all. TCU had all of the momentum. TCU did OU a favor.

With that said, OU shouldn't get penalized for "beating" a top 20 team when Notre Dame struggled to beat a shitt BC team by 3 points and Florida had to goto overtime to beat a 2-9 Florida Atlantic team.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    TCU went for 2 with 10 minutes left in the third quarter and failed. If they had just kicked the extra point, they would have been in position to win without going for 2 at the end of the game.

Even at the end of the game, if TCU had just kicked the extra point, they would have still probably won. OU only had 20 yards off offense and Knight couldn't pass at all. TCU had all of the momentum. TCU did OU a favor.

Amen. Why these idiots go for 2 with almost a whole half of football to be played is beyond me. The lack of simple statistical math these overpaid coaches display week in and week out is embarrassing. I hope at least one "analyst" makes the same point you did, but they're not very sharp either, as they display every week. Speaking of embarrassing analysts, I was flipping the channels and landed on the Ole Miss vs LSU game. As they were going to a commercial break in the 4rth quarter, Vern Lundquist says," hard to believe this is still only a 14 point game". The score was 38-17.

I've seen him do that a few times now (Northwesten vs UCLA bowl game was classic bad math), but my favorite Vern flub is when an attempted field goal hit the upright and landed back on the field. Vern got excited and actually thought the ball was live, and when the non-kicking team picked up the ball, he thought they were going to try and run it into the end zone. It was hilarious. His broadcast partner, dumbo #2 Gary Danielson, once went on a long soliloquy about how football is the only sport where you can score and get the ball back. This was triggered by a team scheduled to receive the 2cnd half kickoff scoring on the last play of the first half. He went on and on about it for what seemed like 5 minutes, as I listened in stunned silence of disbelief that anybody this stupid could be a major network's lead analyst. I mean, what the #@%& is he even talking about? In baseball you score and stay up to bat, in Hockey you score a goal and can win the face-off, it was just unbearable because he was so intense on the subject, like he had discovered the lost city of Atlantis or something. I sometimes wonder if pairing Lundquist and Danielson as lead analysts is an inside joke type of way of mocking it's viewers, because they are just abysmal.

Eddy Munny

The whole momentum carrying into overtime notion is a myth. It only exists as an idea. I've seen plenty of teams mount furious rallies only to have the door slammed on 'em in overtime. Why didn't this momentum carry over to the two-point conversion attempt, anyways? Does momentum take plays off? Does it skip PAT's to catch it's breath and wait for extra periods?

TCU, being the big road underdog, wanted to distill the game down to one play, as opposed to trading series of downs in OT. It's understandable. It didn't work out. But overtime was no lock either. 1 out of every 2 teams in overtime lose.

As for the two pointer in the third quarter, I agree... way too early to be chasing points at that juncture.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    TCU, being the big road underdog, wanted to distill the game down to one play, as opposed to trading series of downs in OT. It's understandable. It didn't work out. But overtime was no lock either. 1 out of every 2 teams in overtime lose.
    You're completely wrong and obviously didn't watch the game...

1. OU was dominating and up big
    2. OU's QB gets knocked out of the game.
    3. OU's #1 RB gets knocked out of the game.
    4. OU's #2 RB gets knocked out of the game.
    5. OU quits moving the ball on offense and only gets 20 total yards in the 4th quarter after the injruies
    6. TCU scores 16 straight points and is dominating the game after the injuries
    7. TCU decides to put it all on one play instead of extending the game....

There is an obvious reason you extend the game to overtime. If you've dominated ever sense the other team lost their QB and RBs, you don't gamble on one play. You definitely have "momentum". For as many reasons as you listed, there are several instances in which momentum does carry over.

OU couldn't get a first down after Mayfield went down and their defense was wearing down.

If you're like Wake Forest playing Clemson, your logic makes sense but in this case it was almost a level playing field in the 4th quarter after all the injruies.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    You're completely wrong and obviously didn't watch the game...

1. OU was dominating and up big
    2. OU's QB gets knocked out of the game.
    3. OU's #1 RB gets knocked out of the game.
    4. OU's #2 RB gets knocked out of the game.
    5. OU quits moving the ball on offense and only gets 20 total yards in the 4th quarter after the injruies
    6. TCU scores 16 straight points and is dominating the game after the injuries
    7. TCU decides to put it all on one play instead of extending the game....

There is an obvious reason you extend the game to overtime. If you've dominated ever sense the other team lost their QB and RBs, you don't gamble on one play. You definitely have "momentum". For as many reasons as you listed, there are several instances in which momentum does carry over.

OU couldn't get a first down after Mayfield went down and their defense was wearing down.
    Yeah, but what you're overlooking is the obvious disparate approaches each team took to the game, given the situation. Oklahoma somewhat drew into it's shell in the 4th quarter, wanting to nurse it's lead and get out of dodge with a victory. TCU, on the other hand, was firing all their bullets, trying to close a double digit deficit. A few flukes along the way, such as OK's punter inadvertently kneeling, aided in their comeback.

Had they gone to overtime, those dynamics in game situation I just mentioned, would have evaporated in an instant. Now, it's a brand new ballgame. Everything is reset. Oklahoma puts it's foot back on the gas. What happened in the fourth quarter is meaningless. Trevor Knight is a seasoned backup. TCU is still handicapped with inexperienced guys on both sides of the ball... that's not to say they couldn't win in overtime, but don't act like it's a foregone conclusion.

I understand why Patterson did what he did. You say momentum follows you into to overtime... I say it's difficult to sustain that which carried you for an entire period once the game reset button is hit, especially when you're the underdog... and make no mistake, Oklahoma was the more talented team, with or without Mayfield.
    Last edited by Eddy Munny; 11-22-15 at 01:07 AM.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I thought TCU should have gone for OT. Knight was not playing well and OU usually has been very tight in these type of games under Stoops.

Plus, even if the 2 worked, OU still had 50 seconds to try and get a FG on the other end (even with no timeouts). The 2 would not have been game ender.