Cougsky17
    Cougsky17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 284

Wazzu +19 vs Cal,

A disclaimer: I do not blindly homer pick my team, and doubly so do I not try to convince others to do so out of shear homer-ism. As you should with every pick you make, use your own damn discretion.

That said...

Some background on why WSU at +19, is so solid. I do not ever call picks "locks", only a fool gives a guarantee, and a bigger fool accepts it, when an outcome is undetermined.

This is however a really, really, really good pick with a TON of value based on the data.

Wazzu is a program right now that has a really odd inverse home/road advantage under Mike Leach, but it is very real. Their home record SU and ATS, under Leach has been horrendous, yet they are 7-2 ATS on the road as underdogs in conference games under Leach since 2013. Maybe it's selective or recency bias, but I disregard 2012's SU/ATS results as Mike Leach was in his 1st year and took over THE VERY WORST Big 5 program in the country.

There has been a near decade long problem with the performance of our teams at home. The crowds have been very sparse, the teams almost always seem to play down with exception of rivalry games(Idaho, UW, Oregon, OSU). Maybe part of it has to do with them staying 30 miles away in a hotel the night before home games. The coaches doing this to avoid campus distractions(parties...WSU is a proud party school).

Inversely, in the thick part of the season, they really tend to play up to the really good teams, and even take out teams that appear better than they are. Especially on the road. They always appear to be focused and prepared even when playing much better teams like Stanford and Oregon, when they're clearly outmanned and have no chance at winning. The effort is palpable.

In 2013 WSU went on the road to USC, Cal and Arizona and came out with straight up wins as road dogs. We backdoor covered late vs Oregon on the road, and lost SU and ATS in the Apple Cup vs UW(barely).

In 2014 they beat Utah and Oregon State SU on the road as dogs, lost but covered vs Stanford, and lost at #13 ASU(did not cover) a week after upsetting OSU on the road, and already after hitting that magical bowl-dashing 7th loss.

In 2015, they've lost at home vs Portland State, and did not cover in their win vs Wyoming at home. They did however go on the road and "upset" Rutgers(favored by 3). The loss to Portland State is heavily skewing the predictor models right now, IMO.

Now for this Cal vs WSU game. The line opened at 14/14.5 points, and it's quickly jumped to 19 or 19.5 at every book. Cal is ranked for the first time since forever at 4-0 and is (IMO) getting a little bit more credit than they deserve. They lucked out on a missed PAT vs Texas, and UW was just offensively inept with 5 turnovers. Texas moved the ball AT WILL on Cal's defense. UW still put up 24 points despite their TO issues. That tells me bad defense.

I get the sense the odds makers accounted for some of the things I've talked about above, when setting the line at 14/14.5. This is despite all the predictor and ELO models showing Cal as an 18-20pt favorite at home. Early bettors see the WSU loss to Portland State, and Cal's wins over respected Texas and UW, and have piled on early.

Another small factor here as well. Mike Leach is notorious for not pulling up and surrendering late in games that have been decided. I'm talking those games in the 24-31 point margin range inside the last 7 minutes. Typically teams trailing know it's over and will run vanilla to run clock and get out. Leach NEVER does. This has led to a few backdoor covers in the losses on the road(Oregon in 2013 and Stanford 2014 namely). That also has value, though in this game I just don't see it factoring in.

This will be another close game like last year, a good old fashioned defense-free shootout.

We're getting 19 points right now and +675 on the ML. That is a lot of value.
    Points Awarded:

jtoler gave Cougsky17 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: POOLSIDE

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

I'm with you here

Justin_sane
    not insane
    Justin_sane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Leach always good for an upset every year. Wazzu going to need big special team plays to get the SU win but keep it close no doubt

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

Good pick. Good post. Cal's crummy defense tasked with having to slow a Mike Leach offense should make it difficult for the Bears to ever really pull away in this one... especially given the heavy chalk.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Easy to roll with Wazzu here.

funnyman
    funnyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5616

Good analysis. I am convinced.

GoCougs!
    GoCougs!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11292

Nice write up.
    Go Cougs!

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Love this play
    Attached Images  

Cougsky17

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post
    Nice write up.
    Go Cougs!
    Yeah buddy, Go Cougs.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

First, they are 7-3 in Pac 12 games away from home. They were 2-2 last season, a huge drop off from 2013. As matter of fact, Wazzu covered all of 3 games last season. What you say about them being a terrible at home is an understatement. What you fail to see is that Wazzu is simply a bad team who ran into a Rutgers team that was torched with problems and suspensions the week before that game, yet still came very close to defeating Wazzu.

Can there be any question as to which team has the best athletes? IMO, no. Wazzu simply cannot recruit. They are terrible. Cal's last two wins came on the road against a Texas team that was desperate but still lost, and a Washington team trying to improve on what is widely considered a mediocre team. Cal may not cover against a terrible Wazzu team, but they will win. A ML wager on Wazzu is just throwing your money away.

steelheaddan
    steelheaddan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Nice write up. Im a proud to say Im a Coug. Im not proud to say Leach is still around….. Even the worst teams in the country find ways to recruit. There is no discipline and leadership what so ever. The Cougs will find some way to "Coug" this…. Goff will put up 700 yds and this game will sail over any total determined…. Save yourself the heartache and take over 71.

HeeluvaGuy
    HeeluvaGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3926

One of these days I'm going to get around to looking up the Wazzu ATS record for weekday games in Pullman in CBB. I've done well on those b/c Pac-12 teams absolutely hate that trip. Guess it doesn't carry over to football so well.

Cougsky17

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    First, they are 7-3 in Pac 12 games away from home. They were 2-2 last season, a huge drop off from 2013. As matter of fact, Wazzu covered all of 3 games last season. What you say about them being a terrible at home is an understatement. What you fail to see is that Wazzu is simply a bad team who ran into a Rutgers team that was torched with problems and suspensions the week before that game, yet still came very close to defeating Wazzu.

Can there be any question as to which team has the best athletes? IMO, no. Wazzu simply cannot recruit. They are terrible. Cal's last two wins came on the road against a Texas team that was desperate but still lost, and a Washington team trying to improve on what is widely considered a mediocre team. Cal may not cover against a terrible Wazzu team, but they will win. A ML wager on Wazzu is just throwing your money away.
    The arbitrary star-ratings by Scout and Rivals over the years that Leach and Dykes have coaches their respective programs shows that the talent gap between the two teams slightly favors Cal, but is marginal at best. The results between the two teams, and across the past 3 seasons also indicates the talent levels are fairly close.

Leach(the master) has outcoached Dykes(the student) the last 2 years.

Cal has an edge here having a definite NFL-caliber senior QB, while WSU has a potentially NFL-caliber sophomore QB. So while I don't lean towards WSU winning SU, I still assert there is really good value in what is now +750 on the ML if one were to be so inclined to make a small wager. Anything higher than +450 in this game has value IMO.

RPK2004
    RPK2004's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Great post. This is the info that I love to get from a forum, some local knowledge. Love the logic. Good luck!

Cougsky17

Thanks for the feedback. Gonna shamelessly bump one more time since I see this game in a lot of threads, folks might appreciate the analysis.

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

Easy cover for Wazzu. The icing on the cake would have been had it gone over 71. Only needing 10 points entering the 4th quarter, I thought it was a near certainty. But alas, Wazzu coughed it up in the red zone, killing momentum for the Over.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

was hoping for ml also but great win for us nice work

Cougsky17

Yeah a frustrating game we could have and should have won. Bad call by Leach on the fake punt, cost us 6. I get the idea there, not a huge risk unless your 160lb punter coughs it up and they run it back....

The 3rd and 36 converted by cal on a draw with horrible tackling and at least 4 holds that disnt get called...that was the game.

then at the end on 4th down, Cal player down and their trainers co e on the field. Should have been a TO forced, but they reset the 40 and ran the clock. Could have had a slim chance with 45 seconds left.