Semper Fidelis
    Semper Fidelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9220

Man not too sure now, after VT scored that TD right before half it really makes me wonder if I should put something on OSU coming back... Hmmmm

SquareBetNoMore
    SquareBetNoMore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1833

Ehhhh that's your call, I fully expect to see OSU play better on both sides of the ball, the coaching advantage is clearly is OSU's favor and adjustments will be made. If OSU doesn't turn the ball over they'll take it I think

Semper Fidelis

Came very close to placing 20% of my BR on OSU covering the very juiced -5.5 spread for the 2nd half, but chickened out thinking the excessive -240 on them winning by a FG wasn't worth the risk of VT possibly keeping it close and covering that. With their starting QB out now it's certain that even a double-digit OSU spread will win, but not too upset at missing out as being less prudent has certainly stung me in the past! Content with the small VT amount easily won from the 2nd qtr, happy with a little profit from a game I certainly didn't have a strong feeling for anyway!

Semper Fidelis

Btw, I apologize for high-jacking your thread, but just wanted to make a comment about your ranking system. It's pretty awesome seeing others try out models like that, as I've toyed around and attempted some models myself, though I find it's much harder for me with a sport like football that I know very well - it seems I make more money just using my gut and intuition in this sport over any ranking systems or computer models I've come up with. Though in all fairness to the systems/models, I haven't ever stayed the course throughout the entire season, nor had the patience/time to backrest any past seasons, so there is a chance that they may be more profitable over the long run than making regular picks! Lol

Semper Fidelis

Anyway you certainly seem to have developed a very nice system/model here, and I will certainly keep a close eye and discuss here in this thread. What books/guides did you use in developing this system? Don't know how statistical/math oriented you are, but I've found that 'Conquering Risk' and 'Who's #1? The Science of Rating and Ranking' have been invaluable tools in helping develop some of mine! The latter one gets especially complex with linear algebraic functions used in creating ratings systems, but they're not too bad if you can follow the equations and plug in any pertinent data to tweak whatever kind of statistical data you want in these formulas. I'm sure you've probably read/analyzed much more complex texts in developing your models, but just wondering if you've read or heard of either of these books, as they contain a wealth of knowledge and something I've found extremely helpful for a beginner like me!

SquareBetNoMore

Week 2 lines are out and there will be plenty of plays. I went ahead and bet a couple of games and we can tack on a unit or buy back when the game gets closer. But I like the lines where they are so I'm going to get them before they move.

Utah -13.5 (3u)
    Boise St -3 (4u)

SquareBetNoMore

No problem about the thread Semper, glad you're following my plays, hopefully they stay hot and we make some money. OSU game is hard not to hedge if you have an opportunity like you did last night with the only way VT could stay in it was to have OSU turn it over. Seeing as to how they already had twice I doubted we would see that too much the rest of the way. The QB injury is one you just can't predict and obviously changes the game big time! Oh well though. I haven't heard or read the books you mentioned. I did do a good bit of tinkering with my power rankings and the algorithm I use though. If I liked to read I would probably look into them, maybe one day right?

SquareBetNoMore

Arkansas St +10.5 (3u)

SquareBetNoMore

Minnesota -6 (3u)

SquareBetNoMore

Tulane +28.5 (2u)
    UTSA +17 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Marshall -3 (3u)

SquareBetNoMore

Pittsburgh -12.5 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Indiana -7 (3u)

SquareBetNoMore

Tulsa +4 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Cinci -6.5 (2u)

ToPHeR
    ToPHeR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1917

I got Tulsa at +3.5 , Minnesota -6.5, and Indiana at -7.5. Still a go?

SquareBetNoMore

Topher I would buy the hook in the Indiana game but the others are a go. I bet these fully expecting the line to move the wrong way. If some of these lines stay the same then we might add a unit or two, but we'll see! I'll have a few more and tack on bets later!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Who sidetracked your system. Lots of solid plays in week 1, but in week 2? You are really going to take a team that just got their tails handed to them by the tune of 55-6 and are hosting the SEC East Champs?

Indiana, who barely escaped with a win over a FCS team giving 7 to a team that just beat UCF, a much better team than Indiana?

Tulane who just lost at home by 30 to Duke taking 28 1/2 at a better Ga. Tech team?

Colorado State +6 against Minnesota is very tempting considering that Colorado State is 8-0 at home off a non-con game against a team off a S/U loss. Then there is the altitude. Minny -6 could well be a loser.

Just for the hell of it, I will fade you on those 4 games. Let's see what happens. It should be interesting.

SquareBetNoMore

BigDaddy good luck whether you fade or not, I just crunch the numbers and play. While I agree some of these are tough bets to actually wager after viewing these teams week 1 performance, they are what they are. The algorithm I have is based on a power ranking I have developed. While a team might not necessarily perform up to par in week 1, doesn't always mean they don't bounc back with energy in week 2. I'd even argue because they were as bad as they were in week 1 they'd have the max value now, before showing their true potential. Yes all 4 teams that I've bet may lose this week (and net you a bunch of cash), but my goal is to find inflated lines in which I can have a field goal or touchdown difference between the posted line and my generated line. If they lose, I can live with it, mainly because it's what netted me and anyone that followed +20 units in week 1. Good luck though, it's week 2 and we are playing with house money

SquareBetNoMore

Houston +14 (3u)

ToPHeR

Got it at 13 Any good?

SquareBetNoMore

Wait til you can get 14, you can even buy the hook if you want the action. But at +13 I'd only bet 2u.

loveofsports
    loveofsports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1380

any chance you can put the dates by when the games will be played im complete noob

SquareBetNoMore

Love, I would but it would take me even longer to post plays than it already does, sorry. I use yahoo sports app to view scores and kick times. Maybe that will help you! We have Utah as a play tonight!

ToPHeR

Interesting. I see Utah line moved down

SquareBetNoMore

Yep, had I bet early last week I could have gotten much better lines and this week several have moved against us. Such is life I reckon. We'll probably hold off til a little closer to mid-week next week before we bet anything. I would have been disappointed had I waited and Utah moved to -14.5! Oh well, maybe it won't bite us this weekend!

Gazoni
    Gazoni's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for posting your plays. I'm going to tail you throughout the entire season.

Rylow17
    Rylow17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

Dang Utah game doesn't look to good right now :/

SquareBetNoMore

Yep, they looked sluggish, but the QB injury hurt. If the starter doesn't go down in the first half they had a chance to cap the half with a score. Instead they were lucky to get away without a turnover and they still have up a TD before half. Their defense looks rough. Can't win them all though, maybe they'll pick it up at half.

SquareBetNoMore

Yep tough loss tonight. QB injury hurt us. We'll call it even with how lucky we were with Marshall last week! I'm adding two more plays for tomorrow.

Wake +4 (2u)
    Bowling Green +7.5 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Hate we bet Tulane too early, but if we liked it at 28.5 we gotta add another unit at 32.5, could be a blowout but like I said last week, just following the numbers, hopefully four touchdowns are too many.

Tulane +32.5 (1u)
    Texas tech -21 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Cinci -6 (2u)
    Arizona -10 (2u)

SquareBetNoMore

Cinci -6 (2u)
    Arizona -10 (2u)
    Kansas +13 (3u)
    San Jose st +5 (2u)

Rylow17
    Rylow17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

So you have cinci at 4u?

SquareBetNoMore

That's an accidental double post, my bad! If you bet it don't feel bad, it was a high ranked play, I just didn't love it

First 123456 ... Last