daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Just how many bowl games has UGA won. Try 18 now (to go along with their 19 losses).
    Wrong. They have won 26. Tied for 3rd best all time.

I'm a Georgia fan and I wouldn't say they are best all time. A solid program, yes. One of the top programs currently, yes. ...but of all time?

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I stand corrected. 26-16-3. A good bow record, but nowheres close to USC or Alabama, considering you only play one bowl game a year. I agree with dane here. UGA has a solid program, but certainly not anywheres close to being the top program of all time. There are so may teams that have won more NC's than Georgia.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8377

Quote Originally Posted by WileOut View Post
    2 national championships

2 BCS Bowl wins

5th all time in bowl wins

Countless SEC titles

Here is the kicker though: A record 13th straight year with 8 or more wins with the blowout today.

Another top 5 recruiting class coming in. We don't rebuild its a reloading situation and its been like that since the 1800's. A string of national championships are just around the corner, mark my words. We are sitting on the biggest hotbed of talent in the nation with Georgia and Northern Florida kids dreaming of playing for UGA.

Even Matthew Stafford, who they said would be the top draft pick when he left high school in Texas for Georgia said all he ever wanted to do as a kid was play ball at the University of Georgia. He accomplished that, the pro career is an afterthought.

Not even close

Dawgs
    have 13 sec = Alabama 22

Dawgs
    have 2 National = Alabama 12 with 1 pending

Dawgs
    have i think 47 bowls = Alabama =57 1 pending(no one else has 50) although usc has the same amount of wins 31

this just off top of my head could look up countless other facts
    They are however one of the top programs just not the top of course im biased to Alabama you can argue for ND, Michigan,Oklahoma and others but like I said im biased

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I think that if youare talking about Top 5 programs of all time, the list would have to include, not necessairily in this order: Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC. I would have Texas and Ohio State a close 6 and 7. Georgia would probably finish in the Top 10, but certainly not in the Top 5.

jackpot269

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I think that if youare talking about Top 5 programs of all time, the list would have to include, not necessairily in this order: Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC. I would have Texas and Ohio State a close 6 and 7. Georgia would probably finish in the Top 10, but certainly not in the Top 5.
    Very solid list Bigdaddy !!!!!!! I agree completely

lancerlotz
    lancerlotz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by hhsilver View Post
    it does include this year's game.

Just teasing you a little. ....

was it mentioned that GA has twice the Heismans as Bama ?.... you gotta love Frank Sinkwich (heisman) and Charlie Trippi ( both from PA by the way)
    This is true.
    But Bama had the fastest runner of all time.

Forrest Gump.
    From Greenbow of all places.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I'm a proponent of including the "what have you done for me lately" aspect of top programs of all time.

If not, you could possibly include Army & Navy into the top 10 discussion.

You also have to keep in mind that nearly everyone gave out a national championship back in the day. Some years had 4-5 "National Champions"

jackpot269

But there used not to be as many bowls as there are now either !!!!!!!!

lancerlotz
    lancerlotz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Were talking Modern Football.
    If not Princeton would be the best ever..
    Until we have a playoff system it's like talking politics..

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

This is true, but what I look for is the teams that play at a top level generation after generation. Now every team has it's run of bad years. If you look at total wins, and winning percentage, you learn a lot. The one thing that will definatley change all of this is the parity in college football. The scholarship limit, plus the advanced training the kids get in high school means that instead of 5-10 5 star recurits, there could be 30-40. Instead of 30 3 star recruits, there could be hundreds. That means that there is plenty of talent to go around. Coaching becomes the key. The top teams will have the top coaches. USC had, what many consider to be, a terrible season. Just how bad has 9-4 become? After being favored to win the NC last year, UGA lost 3 games in '08 and 5 in '09. So the team goes 18-8 in two years including two bowl wins, but fall out of the Top 25? Disappointment abounds? So who are the Top 5 teams from 2000 until 2009? Miami? Ohio State? LSU? USC? Florida? Texas? What about OU, Boise State, Utah, and other teams that are not so widely known. The question as to who has the best program is going to get tougher and tougher.

WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

You all are giving meaningless stats.

13 straight seasons with 8 or more wins.

That is the most impressive stat I've ever heard of. The fact that they hold that record gives them the edge IMO. The fact that they did it all playing in the SEC, where it is hardest in the nation to get wins.

jackpot269

If Your talking all time then you have to look back in the past and recently- HENCE the term ALL TIME not just recent or long time ago but both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Some people are not very smart !!!!!!!!

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    If Your talking all time then you have to look back in the past and recently- HENCE the term ALL TIME not just recent or long time ago but both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Some people are not very smart !!!!!!!!

WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    Exactly my point. UGA holds the all time record for consecutive years with 8 or more wins and they are most likely going to expand it to include an unreachable number of years for any other team in the future. And they are doing it in the SEC.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

whose the next closet school to have consecutive 8 win seasons?

investor
    Chicks jumpin my whip like a moshpit
    investor's Avatar Become A Pro!

LoL @ oklahoma being in the discussion.

TEXAS!!!!!

hhsilver
    hhsilver's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29934

8 wins when they play 13 with the bowl they get with a 7-5 record and beat a 6-6 team. ho hum . there are 34 bowls , so over half the teams are playing 13 games. To overblow this 8 win thing ignores the fact that for much of the century 9 and then 10 game regular seasons were the norm. it wasn't until the maybe 60s that they went to 11 - and only recently to 12. And up until the bowl explosion, bowls were special and only for the elite. In the 50s , there were the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton ( the biggies ) and a cut below were the Sun and Gator , and also a few for smaller teams like the Tangerine and some others that came and went. That's about it. Teams with mediocre records (like 7-5) didn't go to bowls.

Notre Dame chose to not go to bowls from the 20s thru around 1970. The Big10 didn't allow a team to repeat in the Rose Bowl, so there were some Big10 champs that went to no bowl at all.

An example of comparing apples and oranges came when Pitt got their 10th win in 13 games and ESPN let us know how long it had been since Pitt won 10 games. They didn't let us know how only recently did Pitt ( or any team ) have 13 ( or 14 with the conf champ. games) to get those 10 wins. This kind of misleading reporting about records has been going on and annoying me a lot in recent years. I bring up the Pitt example because it just happened.

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

neila
    neila's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

Don't get exicited. Good program. But what have you done for me lately?

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

funny somebody bumped this thread i was just thinking about wileout he must be sick bulldogs just lost to colorado yukk.

mmike032

pro bumping material

but I'm not a fair weather fan

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

i looked for this thread last week. good find.

mmike032

Quote Originally Posted by WileOut View Post
    Seer, 8-5, we finished 8-5. Big difference like I said, it extends the record.

Side note..anyone heard of Da'Rick Rogers? Well he is a 6-4, 210 pound receiver who runs a 4-4 flat out of the state of Georgia and is the most wanted wide receiver in the nation coming out of high school. 41 inch vertical, etc. UGA bound. Greene will not be missed.

paver that is a great point. You are exactly right. Your college football knowledge is second to none.
    yea, he bailed for Tenn at the last minute didnt he.

he still on the roster or did he follow Kiffin?

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

I'm sorry but Georgia will stay a second tier team as long as Richt is the head coach.

mmike032

a 2nd tier team is giving to much credit Nina at this point.
    I think his buyout is to much for them to fire him this yr

firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1066

life long fan of the dogs and i have never been more disgusted...........

The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by mmike032 View Post
    yea, he bailed for Tenn at the last minute didnt he. he still on the roster or did he follow Kiffin?
    He's caught balls for the Vols this year in a backup role. UT's receiving corps are the only deep position on the team. They have 3 freshmen studs there.

mmike032

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    He's caught balls for the Vols this year in a backup role. UT's receiving corps are the only deep position on the team. They have 3 freshmen studs there.
    Sims will look like Joe Montana next week
    recievers will have a big day
    UGAs secondary has a hard time being within 15 YDs of the play

Kustac
    Kustac's Avatar Become A Pro!

nice bump, had to click it when I read the title

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Quote Originally Posted by mmike032 View Post
    UGAs secondary has a hard time being within 15 YDs of the play
    I am so sorry Mikey but that made me laugh. All I ask is that Georgia get it together and beat Auburn. I count on them for that every year. Don't let me down.

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

mmike032

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post
    I am so sorry Mikey but that made me laugh. All I ask is that Georgia get it together and beat Auburn. I count on them for that every year. Don't let me down.
    Auburn and FLa are adding another digit to the scoreboard this yr.
    Idaho st looks to be the only other game we'll win this yr

bbar86
    bbar86's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Hmmmm, hasn't UGA lost 17 of the last 20 games against UF??? UGA is UF's bitch
    I'm in no way saying UF is the best all time program...but that comment says a lot about the validity of this thread

Cocktail party 2010 hollaaaaaa
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-30-15 at 12:54 PM. Reason: image does not exist

Seven4os
    Seven4os's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol

Seven4os
    Seven4os's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cant wait for the upcomng games

First 123 Last