BChrisB
    BChrisB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

BYU vs Memphis. Any insights?

Only NCAA Bowl game tomorrow. Anyone have any information or insights to share on this one?

coitus_maximus
    coitus_maximus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4080

I like BYU in my opinion, better SOS and in a better conference as a dog. Memphis has had a cupcake schedule even though they have many returning starters.

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by coitus_maximus View Post
    I like BYU in my opinion, better SOS and in a better conference as a dog. Memphis has had a cupcake schedule even though they have many returning starters.
    Competition seems to have favored BYU, stats slightly for Memphis other than their rank for passing which BYU favors them by.

I'm thinking BYU and the under to be honest, just curious what others around the country are thinking, thanks for your input.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

so far more money is on mem

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by kobstopa View Post
    I always have a love/hate relationship where the money goes. One token I know in the long run the public loses, then on the flip side are they seeing something that I'm not. Point well taken though.

500forazip
    500forazip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

under 57

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1673

These teams SOS are very close!!............both run a little more than pass,,,,,,,,,it's a small bet on the under................gl

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

I lean Memphis in this one. You have to question BYU's motivation going cross-country for a bowl game. We saw it impact Nevada on Saturday. Memphis is a program turning around and had a solid year so they should be motivated. Might look at the under as well in this one as well.

ringemup
    ringemup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3171

oday I am looking at the BYU- Memphis matchup in the Miami Beach Bowl as the Tigers come in laying 2 points. BYU 8-4 as independents and Memphis 9-3(7-1AAC). For BYU this is familiar territory as they are 6-3 in bowl games under Mendenhall while Memphis has their first bowl game since 2008. Memphis earned co-champ honors atop AAC and turned around from a dismal losing season the year before. BYU started hot at 4-0 with thrashing of Texas early but an injury to Taysom Hill led to a midseason slump but theyve recovered nicely in the last four including a win over Cal on the road to end the year. Notable win for Memphis include Cincinnati.

BYU brings in a solid offense averaging about 36 ppg including 25 first downs a game all among top 20 nationally. Theyve found a groove at QB Stewart whos passed for over 2000 yds 22TD/6 INTs sincee taking over for Hill. At tailback they platoon Williams and other backs. Theyve got a solid duo of WRs with explosive playmaking with Mathews and Leslie who have over 700 yds each. They like to go uptempo as they average almost 80 plays a game.

Memphis is putting up about 34 ppg and is balanced with run and pass as they put up 191 rypg, 230 pypg with Lynch putting up solid 2725 pyds 18TD/6INTS in his much improved sophomore year. They rotate Hayes and others at TB and like to spread the ball around as 5 receivers have contributed 200 or more rypg on the year.

BYU defensively is about 56th nationally in ppg allowed at 25, but their rush defense is stingy at no.13th including overall 25th in yards per play allowed and top 6 in pass breakups and no.1 in explosive runs of 20 yds or more allowed. So they like to stretch the field out and make the other team work for every point. They are big and physical at the line of scrimmage.

Memphis comes in at top5 in ppg allowed at only 17 although a look through their schedule reveals the teams they held below that number were against sub-500 teams. They are no.40 in yards allowed at 370 and no.12 against the run. They also can bring pressure at no.36 in sacks per game. They are tough and well-coached on D.

Both teams boast nice resumes but looking at the bigger picture BYU has pulled 3 wins over power 5 conference teams in Texas, UVA, and Cal while Memphis and their best win came against Cincinnati which was not playing their best football early in the year. Coaching is good for both sides as Mendenhall has a stellar record at BYU and Fuente the former TCU O-coordinator has turned around the Tigers program. However the way I see it having watched both teams play a bit this year this is by far the most physical team Memphis has played on the year aside from Ole Miss who they indeed produced only 104 yds of offense against. Having said that motivations not an issue for eith team and it will come down to who executes and takes care of the ball as a battle of two solid defensvie teams.

In my opinion I think BYUs bowl success and experience merits them value as a lot of their upperclassmen know what it takes to win in this environment and as a result Memphis will have to deal with being newcomers and any adversity that may hit them on early. Look for this game to be chippy with strong defenses battling but I see BYU and that uptempo offense eventually getting to Memphis in the 2nd half and BYU will wear a Tigers team down that has not played a big and physical team like BYU during league play. Edge to BYU +2, ML +110. GL.

5 unit play on BYU ML +110

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

BYU ML

Utah teams 2-0 in Bowls...BYU highly motivated for the state to go 3-0

luckyutah
    luckyutah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

The teams are pretty evenly matched, but I'm leaning Memphis too. They extended their coach's contract recently and I think they get up for this game. A chance to play a bigger "name" school and prove something. They played well (and covered) at UCLA and basically pushed at Ole Miss earlier this season so they shouldn't be intimidated.

BYU looked okay in their last game at Cal, but their SOS really isn't that great. I can't find a good win on their schedule since Hill went down. Outside of 1 bowl game in Dallas, BYU hasn't traveled east for a bowl game in over 10 years.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

Quote Originally Posted by mp5070 View Post
    BYU ML

I always root against Utah teams because I don't like cults and the Mormons are nice people overall but its still a cult! Most bettors overlook the fact that these guys go on missions for 1-2 years and generally are much older than other college kids. A 22-23 year old is obviously more physically mature than a 19-20 year old at another school. It seems like you see more black kids or Pacific islanders at Utah or Utah State but they still have Mormons too

donkbetter
    donkbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1746

forgot this sentence... damn near beat ucla!

donkbetter

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    I always root against Utah teams because I don't like cults and the Mormons are nice people overall but its still a cult! Most bettors overlook the fact that these guys go on missions for 1-2 years and generally are much older than other college kids. A 22-23 year old is obviously more physically mature than a 19-20 year old at another school. It seems like you see more black kids or Pacific islanders at Utah or Utah State but they still have Mormons too
    how many mormons on this team? do you have any idea? it is important please find out before game time so we'll know how to bet!

BChrisB

These are some great analysis's. BYU and under it is, I'm convinced.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Quote Originally Posted by mp5070 View Post
    BYU ML

Those two Utah teams also played close to home. This one has to travel cross country. Teams that travel cross country in these lower end bowl games traditionally do not do well. I think Memphis actually has a bit more motivation in this game than BYU does.

ringemup

Quote Originally Posted by navyblue81 View Post
    Those two Utah teams also played close to home. This one has to travel cross country. Teams that travel cross country in these lower end bowl games traditionally do not do well. I think Memphis actually has a bit more motivation in this game than BYU does.
    This has minimal impact if any. This is not the regular season when teams are traveling the day before the game on a road trip. Does not matter.Motivation high for both sides BYU looking for 5th straight bowl win Memphis 1st bowl game in 6 years.

irishstuey
    irishstuey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1654

Haven't seen BYU since Hill went down. Looks like Stewert has progressed and playing pretty well. Also looks like he can run the ball with some effectiveness.

Memphis defensive stats don't look as good when you dig deeper. Last 5 opponents were ranked outside top 100 in scoring offense. They gave Ole Miss a tough one, but Miss turned it over 4 times and had 10 penalties for over 100 yards.

I'm going BYU in a small play here. Also a nibble at BYU over 27.5 at -105.

irishstuey

Quote Originally Posted by ringemup View Post
    This has minimal impact if any. This is not the regular season when teams are traveling the day before the game on a road trip. Does not matter.Motivation high for both sides BYU looking for 5th straight bowl win Memphis 1st bowl game in 6 years.

They lost to UW last year in the bowl game.

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

12/18/2014 11:17 AM NCAAF -145BYU 3 -145 $72.50 $50.00

Gl folks

ringemup

Quote Originally Posted by irishstuey View Post
    They lost to UW last year in the bowl game.
    Even more motivation for BYU the better. Motivation is even for both sides it will come down to who makes more mistakes with the pigskin. I know Lynch has improved in his 2nd year by bounds but the AAC schedule they played down the stretch did not provide them challenges Cincy is a good win but Bearcats were not close to hitting their stride at the time. This one could be close and BYU has a group of guys who have been there and done it.

wildemu
    wildemu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1574

That BYU defense is awful though. Offense is going to have to win them this game.

irishstuey

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    That BYU defense is awful though. Offense is going to have to win them this game.
    Yeah, the d is not very good. My thinking is they will look much better against this Memphis offense though. They aren't world beaters. Tough one to pick here, I just want some Monday afternoon action.

wufpakman21
    wufpakman21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3649

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post

Is this a betting website or a discussion of religion? You sound like a real judgmental douchebag. How is Mormonism any different than any other christian denomination?I bet you didn't vote for Mitt Romney either did you... Just because he was a mormon. Instead you reelected the worst President in American History. Jackass
    Points Awarded:

crackerjack gave wufpakman21 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

wildemu

Quote Originally Posted by irishstuey View Post
    Yeah, the d is not very good. My thinking is they will look much better against this Memphis offense though. They aren't world beaters. Tough one to pick here, I just want some Monday afternoon action.
    I expect BYU to win this game, but not ready to pull the trigger. There are maturity issues on the Memphis team, and they weren't great against UConn. Still, I hate betting on teams that don't have a defense.

ATL5150
    ATL5150's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 385

Name:  tigers.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  3.4 KB

Hope I'm not on the wrong side!!! Was thinking BYU but then flopped after looking at team stats!

wildemu

i probably would have a heart attack if i were in your position

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Motivation is highly overrated. The Saints were super motivated yesterday and look what happened.

The best betting option today is BYU team total over 27. Their offense is clicking and it's fast paced. Look for at least a td every quarter. Going big on this one sprinkled with a little Byu ml

buckeyesooner
    buckeyesooner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2127

BYU +the points as well as ML on this one. Better schedule, better team. BYU wins outright by 7-10.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by kobstopa View Post
    and....?

irishstuey

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Motivation is highly overrated. The Saints were super motivated yesterday and look what happened.

The best betting option today is BYU team total over 27. Their offense is clicking and it's fast paced. Look for at least a td every quarter. Going big on this one sprinkled with a little Byu ml
    I don't look for teams that are motivated, I look for teams that are not motivated. It happens a lot, especially with the big name teams whose players aren't excited to be playing in some random bowl.

ATL5150
    ATL5150's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 385

Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    i probably would have a heart attack if i were in your position
    Yeah... I feel pretty sick now with everyone being on BYU.

donkbetter

Quote Originally Posted by wufpakman21 View Post
    Is this a betting website or a discussion of religion? You sound like a real judgmental douchebag. How is Mormonism any different than any other christian denomination?I bet you didn't vote for Mitt Romney either did you... Just because he was a mormon. Instead you reelected the worst President in American History. Jackass
    mitt romney i heard was laying down 5 g's on byu today and his bishop is tailing him. we know what happened last time romney was involved a contest.

Doughboy22
    SYNDICATE... AHHHHHH
    Doughboy22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3733

Quote Originally Posted by wufpakman21 View Post
    Read "under the banner of heaven" by John Krakauer and then tell me they are just like all other religions.
    Rape, incest, massacring, and a convenient changing of what a single profit said was the word of God. They are nuts.

jimminn
    jimminn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5771

BYU beat Houston Memphis lost to Houston DUH do I need to say more.

12 Last