Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

Biggest Public Play of the Bowl Card So Far is USC -6 in the Holiday Bowl

It's still early, but the Trojans laying 6/6.5 points against Nebraska seems to be the one that the majority of the public is eating up. Although I tend to be contrarian when it comes to bowl season, I happen to like USC here as well, and it was one of the first games that drew my attention when the lines first came out.

The number has already been bet up a point or so, and will most certainly hit 7 at some point.

I just question Nebraska's motivation in this game. It's not that they would overlook USC, but I'm not sure how exactly they come out and play an inspired game, given the circumstances. Obviously their season didn't go as expected, then Bo Pelini gets canned and the interim head coach for the game, Barney Cotton, is an OL coach who most likely won't have a job with the university once the bowl game ends.

It seems that a lot of the underclassmen will probably be preoccupied with developments amongst the new staff, incoming hires, rumors and so forth, and key seniors such as Ameer Abdullah, Randy Gregory, and Kenny Bell, will have their minds on the NFL draft. Are they really going to play their guts out in a seemingly meaningless game, or will they just be hoping to get through 60 more minutes of football without any serious injuries that could plummet their draft stock?

We all know that motivation is a big key when it comes to these bowl games and it's fair to ask whether Nebraska will show up for this game or not. USC probably isn't exactly thrilled either, but at least they don't have all the swirling distractions of a coaching change, and they will probably use this game as a springboard towards the 2015 season.

In addition to the motivation edge, I think USC is easily the more talented team as well. If they intend to finish their year on a strong note, there's no reason why they can't cover a spread under a touchdown. The Trojans can stress Nebraska's pass defense in ways they never really experienced in the B1G. Agholor should be a nightmare for the NU secondary. Really, Miami probably had the best passing attack of any Husker opponent this year and they moved they ball efficiently for pretty much the entire game... they just couldn't corral Abdullah.

Maybe Nebraska pulls a rabbit out of their hat and keeps it close, who knows... but I'm going to side with the overwhelming majority on this game and make a play on USC -6.5. This game has a chance to get ugly, much the way many of these types of marquee games have for Nebraska in recent times.

Thoughts?

Eddy Munny

Line has hit 7. Get on board before it escalates.

thezzzone
    thezzzone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Im large on USC---the huskers cant hang with them in my mind
    small san diego state
    large on Miami
    small Boston College
    Large LSU
    large Tennessee
    small ohio st
    large oregon
    small baylor
    small ole miss

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Totally agree with Eddy on this play. It is one of my favorites, just behind the Oklahoma/Clemson under 52.5 and Baylor -3.

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22719

Skers have zero motivation. Cotton is going to unlv. ALOT of O line starters out. And USC has always had a lot of success vs Neb

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

USC's one of my favorite plays of the season....however, I'm starting to get nervous when everyone's on them cause I usually like betting against the public. But always go against teams whose coaches just left. They lay eggs more times than not. Look at the egg Colorado State just put up.

Eddy Munny

Let's do this. I'm not crazy about the siding with the majority either, but we're due for a favorite to cover today. Unless Nebraska can consistently pressure Kessler, I don't see how their DB's can hang with USC's wideouts.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

We are going to the pay window compliments of the Trojans from USC!

irishstuey
    irishstuey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1654

I'm with ya here. The quality of player advantage is huge here. Outside of abdullah and the de they areally so much better. Watch out though, neb showed up against georgia.
    I'm telling you this now. If the team total for sc is under 35 take it. This defense is horrid. Neb may cover but in a shootout. Sc will have 21-31 by half.

Eddy Munny

They showed up against Georgia but they were the more motivated team last year. I bet them plus the points then. This year, however, I don't see them having a huge motivational edge, hence my liking USC. Like you said, if Nebraska covers, it'll almost certainly be a shootout.