Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Nebraska Swings and Misses Again

New Nebraska football coach Mike Riley raised fan's hope with his statements about bringing big time assistants on board. Well not so much so far.

Kevin Steele was all the rage for awhile but...

From Lee Barfnecht Omaha World Herald
    LINCOLN — "Alabama linebackers coach Kevin Steele, a former Nebraska assistant from 1989-94, apparently no longer is under consideration to come back to NU under new coach Mike Riley.

A source with knowledge of the situation told The World-Herald that Steele had been contacted through intermediaries last week. That communication now has ended."

The other big name being circulated is Ed Orgeron. If they can land him it would be huge considering his recruiting skills. Cornhusker fans should pray that this hire actually happens. He would dramatically improve the chances of Nebraska getting talented players to come to Lincoln to play for a geriatric head coach.

To date Riley has hired 4 assistants - all from Oregon State. Apparently mediocrity travels well.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-10-14 at 12:53 AM.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Steele would be silly to leave Bama for Braska, guess he didnt wanna tell ole pal Riley a flat out no and probably said I'll think about it, knowing he wouldnt, on the first phone call and Riley probably starting yacking to the Braska brass about he's got some big names coming. Lol at the old staff following, dont think Braska signed up for that. I agree Orgeron would be a very nice hire, but he probably wants and thinks he deserves a big time head coaching gig.

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Steele would be silly to leave Bama for Braska, guess he didnt wanna tell ole pal Riley a flat out no and probably said I'll think about it, knowing he wouldnt, on the first phone call and Riley probably starting yacking to the Braska brass about he's got some big names coming. Lol at the old staff following, dont think Braska signed up for that. I agree Orgeron would be a very nice hire, but he probably wants and thinks he deserves a big time head coaching gig.
    Actually Orgeron has publicly stated that he would be very interested in joining Nebraska as an assistant. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/r...f11975619.html

When told this at a press conference Riley's response was essentially "that's good to know".

It will be interesting to see if Nebraska manages to screw this up. Orgeron could turn a situation that is looking like chicken sh*t into chicken salad. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-10-14 at 12:55 AM.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Well that is good then, I wonder if he'll just bring his Beaver flock over and not hire Orgeron, I can see Orgeron getting Braska back to a respectable defense, this thing just could work out and might not be as bad as I think it would be, might take a while though.

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

I will take the entire Oregon State coaching staff over Pelini and his high school coaches.

2012 - Nebraska loses to UCLA at home. Oregon St beats UCLA at UCLA
    Nebraska loses to Wisconsin 70-31. Oregon St beats Wisc 10-7

I guarantee Neb has way more talent. (but not on the coaching side)

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by Husker36 View Post
    I will take the entire Oregon State coaching staff over Pelini and his high school coaches.

2012 - Nebraska loses to UCLA at home. Oregon St beats UCLA at UCLA
    Nebraska loses to Wisconsin 70-31. Oregon St beats Wisc 10-7

I guarantee Neb has way more talent. (but not on the coaching side)
    How you liking that Oregon State coaching staff wearing Nebraska red now genius?

Mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers drubbed by 1-6 Purdue today. Now they won't even make to a bowl game. 3 wins 6 losses and counting.

Purdue hangs 55 on the might "blackshirts"...they need to change their nickname to the "PINKSHIRTS".