BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Teams Playing Where They Do Not Wnat To Be.

This is so simple that even some of you guys in here can figure it out. Fade a team that lost to get into their Bowl Game. Here are some examples:

Duke: Three home games left in the regular season and all Duke had to do was defeat two out of the three teams to win the ACC Atlantic and a probably an Orange Bowl Bid. The teams were Va. Tech (4-5 at the time), North Carolina (5-5 at the time) and Wake Forest. Duke loses to both Va. Tech and UNC and now get to play in Sunny El Paso, just a mile or so from a war zone in Juarez. I'm sure they are really looking forward to that game.

Colorado State: All they needed to do to finish 11-1 and win a bid to the Fiesta Bowl over a two loss Boise State team was to beat the Air Force. After losing a very tough game to the Falcons' Colorado State gets to play in Las Vegas for about 1/10th of the money.

Georgia: The Dawgs had a Peach Bowl invite all but locked up. Then they blew a 4th quarter lead and lost to Ga. Tech. Now UGA IX gets to visit Charlotte and Georgia gets to play in the Belk Bowl. Lucky UGA.

Iowa: Going into their last 4 games, Iowa had a 6-2 record and a shot at the Big 10 West title. Then, after a 1-4 finish that included two straight losses at home, they now get to play after New Years at the Tax Slayer Bowl.

There are others in the same boat. Some teams finished terribly but still got into a Bowl. You can find them yourselves. These are real good teams to FADE.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    This is so simple that even some of you guys in here can figure it out. Fade a team that lost to get into their Bowl Game. Here are some examples:

Duke: Three home games left in the regular season and all Duke had to do was defeat two out of the three teams to win the ACC Atlantic and a probably an Orange Bowl Bid. The teams were Va. Tech (4-5 at the time), North Carolina (5-5 at the time) and Wake Forest. Duke loses to both Va. Tech and UNC and now get to play in Sunny El Paso, just a mile or so from a war zone in Juarez. I'm sure they are really looking forward to that game.

Colorado State: All they needed to do to finish 11-1 and win a bid to the Fiesta Bowl over a two loss Boise State team was to beat the Air Force. After losing a very tough game to the Falcons' Colorado State gets to play in Las Vegas for about 1/10th of the money.

Georgia: The Dawgs had a Peach Bowl invite all but locked up. Then they blew a 4th quarter lead and lost to Ga. Tech. Now UGA IX gets to visit Charlotte and Georgia gets to play in the Belk Bowl. Lucky UGA.

Iowa: Going into their last 4 games, Iowa had a 6-2 record and a shot at the Big 10 West title. Then, after a 1-4 finish that included two straight losses at home, they now get to play after New Years at the Tax Slayer Bowl.

There are others in the same boat. Some teams finished terribly but still got into a Bowl. You can find them yourselves. These are real good teams to FADE.
    While I agree with the premise, I disagree with most of these examples you cited. You can't just assume that any team who struggles down the stretch will find themselves in a bowl they'd rather not be, and hence, be unmotivated to play.

"All Duke had to do was win two out of three games to win the ACC Atlantic..." You make it sound simple enough, but when you're Duke, nothing is taken for granted. This is football, mind you. Sure, things could have went better, but they could have went worse, too. When you play football for Duke, just securing a bowl bid is an achievement in and of itself. Furthermore, they will be pitted against a sexy, PAC 12 team with a high powered offense in Arizona St., whom most people probably expect will dispatch Duke matter-of-factly. Duke is always battling the public perception that they are just a cute story, and not a real football team, and this game will be no exception. They will embrace the underdog role yet again. The question is, will Arizona St. be motivated?

Colorado State is in a similar boat as Duke. Maybe they could have elevated their bowl stock with a win, but they certainly don't think so highly of themselves as to scoff at the chance to play Utah. When do CSU players ever get a chance to play in front of an ABC television audience, with no other games to compete with? Again, Utah is from a power conference, with lofty wins over UCLA, USC, and Stanford. I don't think the Rams players were in a "Fiesta Bowl or bust" state of mind from the outset, so I don't think expect that they are devastated by having to "settle" for Utah in the Vegas Bowl... And as far as the "1/10 of the money" thing, that's irrelevant. That money wasn't going into the players' pockets anyway, and they're the ones who'll be suiting up.

With Georgia, you may have a legitimate point. Playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl probably isn't what they had in mind, but the Cardinals may have UGA's attention nonetheless, considering what they (Louisville) did to another SEC team, in Florida, that was asleep at the wheel in last year's bowl game. It's hard to say where Georgia's head will be at for this game, but I wouldn't doubt that Louisville may be the more motivated team here.

I don't think the Iowa Hawkeyes will simply mail it in because of their rough finish. Let's not kid ourselves, they are a middle of the pack B1G team. Nobody is ready to quit just because they didn't reach the conference title game. They may have been 6-2 heading into the home stretch, but they hadn't played anybody. Even their losses were to scrub teams like Iowa St. and Maryland. Then you have to consider that three of their final four games included Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, so I'd say their record was pretty close to par for the course. If anything, I think Iowa may be motivated to finish the year on a strong note, and prove that they are more like the team that made Wisky sweat, and less like the team that got their asses handed to 'em by Minny. You also have to consider that they drew an SEC team (Tennessee) and schools from perceived inferior conferences always salivate at the opportunity to knock of an opponent from the darling super-conference.

To answer you question though, I think you have to start with TCU and Baylor. You can't say with absolute certainty that these two teams will be lethargic or apathetic in their respective games, but the end to the year certainly raises questions as to the mindset of the team. They were thinking playoff berth and national championship, right up until the time they realized they were the 5th and 6th teams, and thus, the first two teams left out. That's a tough pill to swallow, and will test the mental resolve of any player, as well as the ability of the coaching staff to keep players focused.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

STANFORD must be really fired up about earning a bus ride to Santa Clara to participate in the prestigious Foster Farms bowl. Oh boy 3 extra weeks of practice! You can feel the electricity in the air!

HOUSTON, without their fired head coach, is no doubt ecstatic about taking the bus to Fort Worth to play in the Armed Forces Bowl. Wow it doesn't get any better than that!
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-09-14 at 11:57 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    While I agree with the premise, I disagree with most of these examples you cited. You can't just assume that any team who struggles down the stretch will find themselves in a bowl they'd rather not be, and hence, be unmotivated to play.

"All Duke had to do was win two out of three games to win the ACC Atlantic..." You make it sound simple enough, but when you're Duke, nothing is taken for granted. This is football, mind you. Sure, things could have went better, but they could have went worse, too. When you play football for Duke, just securing a bowl bid is an achievement in and of itself. Furthermore, they will be pitted against a sexy, PAC 12 team with a high powered offense in Arizona St., whom most people probably expect will dispatch Duke matter-of-factly. Duke is always battling the public perception that they are just a cute story, and not a real football team, and this game will be no exception. They will embrace the underdog role yet again. The question is, will Arizona St. be motivated?

Colorado State is in a similar boat as Duke. Maybe they could have elevated their bowl stock with a win, but they certainly don't think so highly of themselves as to scoff at the chance to play Utah. When do CSU players ever get a chance to play in front of an ABC television audience, with no other games to compete with? Again, Utah is from a power conference, with lofty wins over UCLA, USC, and Stanford. I don't think the Rams players were in a "Fiesta Bowl or bust" state of mind from the outset, so I don't think expect that they are devastated by having to "settle" for Utah in the Vegas Bowl... And as far as the "1/10 of the money" thing, that's irrelevant. That money wasn't going into the players' pockets anyway, and they're the ones who'll be suiting up.

With Georgia, you may have a legitimate point. Playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl probably isn't what they had in mind, but the Cardinals may have UGA's attention nonetheless, considering what they (Louisville) did to another SEC team, in Florida, that was asleep at the wheel in last year's bowl game. It's hard to say where Georgia's head will be at for this game, but I wouldn't doubt that Louisville may be the more motivated team here.

I don't think the Iowa Hawkeyes will simply mail it in because of their rough finish. Let's not kid ourselves, they are a middle of the pack B1G team. Nobody is ready to quit just because they didn't reach the conference title game. They may have been 6-2 heading into the home stretch, but they hadn't played anybody. Even their losses were to scrub teams like Iowa St. and Maryland. Then you have to consider that three of their final four games included Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, so I'd say their record was pretty close to par for the course. If anything, I think Iowa may be motivated to finish the year on a strong note, and prove that they are more like the team that made Wisky sweat, and less like the team that got their asses handed to 'em by Minny. You also have to consider that they drew an SEC team (Tennessee) and schools from perceived inferior conferences always salivate at the opportunity to knock of an opponent from the darling super-conference.

To answer you question though, I think you have to start with TCU and Baylor. You can't say with absolute certainty that these two teams will be lethargic or apathetic in their respective games, but the end to the year certainly raises questions as to the mindset of the team. They were thinking playoff berth and national championship, right up until the time they realized they were the 5th and 6th teams, and thus, the first two teams left out. That's a tough pill to swallow, and will test the mental resolve of any player, as well as the ability of the coaching staff to keep players focused.
    Good post.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Hey bigdouche how did you do in the BTP contest you phony queer?

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    T

Some teams finished terribly but still got into a Bowl. You can find them yourselves. These are real good teams to FADE.
    BigDouche is the perfect fade, here is the wannabe sharp's ranking in BTP contest

580 rob 30-39-0 43.48 % W 3 -127.5 -15.24 -
    581 leslieteam 24-33-3 42.11 % W 1 -18.5 -15.35 -
    582 LtDementia 31-38-1 44.93 % W 2 -8.5 -15.66 -
    583 GP 24-36-0 40.00 % W 2 -47.5 -16.12 -
    584 pinnerpsk 28-38-2 42.42 % L 3 -69.0 -16.23 -
    585 BigdaddyQH
    29-39-2
    42.65 % W 1 80.0 -16.30 -
    586 agharah1 29-41-0 41.43 % L 4 -66.5 -16.40 -
    587 p0kerdynamix 29-38-2 43.28 % W 2 28.5 -16.66 -
    588 mugsey15 26-38-1 40.63 % W 1 55.5 -16.66 -
    589 NYSportsGuy210 32-36-2 47.06 % L 1 -44.0 -16.71 -
    590 Honeybadger44 28-42-0 40.00 % L 1 -17.5 -16.72 -
    591 PSD999 30-38-2 44.12 % L 1 36.0 -16.73 -

What a fukking loser

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Demo,

BTP is not a good indicator of capping ability.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Demo,

BTP is not a good indicator of capping ability.
    Mind your own business MR. 54 points

53 defense
    53 defense's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5221

I will say this about the site........ There is a lot of love on these pages... kind of gets me misty like watching the Lombardi Doc........

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Sun Bowl gives rings.. it's tied for second-oldest bowl
    don't bet against Duke.. they want this..
    would be great for their improving football program.