Seems like an odd fit

Bet10Heinekens
    Bet10Heinekens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5044

Mike Riley didn't win shit at Oregon St., why would Nebraska hire him

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Braska desperate, I wonder what some of the schools are thinking with these hires, surely you can do better Braska, nothing against Riley, I like him.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

A guy I thought should have been canned replaces a guy who won 9 games a year cant make this shit up, awful hire

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

This guy can coach circles around Pelini. Good hire.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

A very weak hire. Arkansas coach Brent Bielema was offered the job and he turned it down.

This reminds me of the Bill Callahan hire. Nebraska's idiot AD at the time, Steve Pederson, kept getting turned down by big time coaches and he was desperate to hire a "name" coach. He ended up hiring Callahan and complete disaster followed. The demise of Nebraska's once powerful football program will continue with this lame hire.

All in all it's been a sad spectacle to behold. R.I.P. Cornhuskers.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    This guy can coach circles around Pelini. Good hire.
    Wouldn't know it by the Win/Loss record

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    A very weak hire. Arkansas coach Brent Bielema was offered the job and he turned it down.

This reminds me of the Bill Callahan hire. Nebraska's idiot AD at the time, Steve Pederson, kept getting turned down by big time coaches and he was desperate to hire a "name" coach. He ended up hiring Callahan and complete disaster followed. The demise of Nebraska's once powerful football program will continue with this lame hire.

All in all it's been a sad spectacle to behold. R.I.P. Cornhuskers.
    This is all a load of horseshit... Bielema was nevered offered the job. A rumor simply started and caught fire. Bielema was not the target. I have a hunch that Nebraska's A.D. had Riley firmly in his sights from the get-go.

You have to really understand the logic to appreciate the hire. It goes beyond win/loss record. Do you really think Riley couldn't have posted at least the same record as Bo Pelini if he was in Pelini's shoes? At NU, Riley will have far more support, both financial and institutional, while having access to better facilities and thus, a greater ability to recruit. Riley has proven to be strong in player development, and given greater resources, he may prove to be a great coach.

He will no longer have to play second fiddle to an in-state rival, and should be able to woo an impressive staff. The guy is well respected in the coaching community and resurrected an OSU football program that was floundering for years before his arrival. This guy has a lot of untapped potential and a fresh start may be just what Riley needs to get the wheels humming.

Pelini was a fvcking bum. Period.

Isaiah

This is all a load of horseshit... Bielema was nevered offered the job. A rumor simply started and caught fire. Bielema was not the target. I have a hunch that Nebraska's A.D. had Riley firmly in his sights from the get-go. .
    You are entitled to your "hunch" but most of us prefer facts. See http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-nebraska-job/

Football insider Gil Brandt knows much more about the situation than you do.

Eddy Munny

Nope, he was never offered. Nebraska put the feelers out to a number of coaches, but Bielema was never offered the position. That's hearsay. Bielema's agent just drummed up a little positive publicity for his client, that's all. Don't be so gullible.

I know more than Gil Brandt.

53 defense
    53 defense's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5209

Mike Riley is a great hire for the Cornhuskers, he will bring a solid plan to a team that has not been able to get the best out of their talent level. 8 wins a year won't cut it and that was Bo's downfall. Too much chaos in the program under Pellini with not much to show for it. He has a quite presence that commands respect, and that itself will have a calming effect. Go Big Red
    Points Awarded:

shopbar picks gave 53 defense 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Isaiah

Nope, he was never offered. Nebraska put the feelers out to a number of coaches, but Bielema was never offered the position. That's hearsay. Bielema's agent just drummed up a little positive publicity for his client, that's all. Don't be so gullible.

I know more than Gil Brandt.
    Yeah okay. You've convinced us that you have superior football knowledge than Gil Brandt and all the rest of the forum. Now go do you homework and get then get to bed it's a school night.

Eddy Munny

Ok, was that supposed to be funny? Listen, if you worship at the altar of Gil fvcking Brandt, then by all means, continue. I'm just stating facts here. If these facts don't jive with your fantasy realm, where Gil Brandt is the god of breaking news, then you may be forced to retreat into the land of make-believe, where authenticity won't obstruct your desire to stroke Brandt's sausage, and ejaculate erroneous blurbs.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

A mediocre 61 year old coach that was 93-80 in his time at oregon st, on what planet is this a good hire? Guy had losing season 3 of the last 5 years.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7671

Blue bombers baby

Isaiah

This is all a load of horseshit... Bielema was nevered offered the job. BLAH BLAH BLAH...

This guy has a lot of untapped potential and a fresh start may be just what Riley needs to get the wheels humming.
    Riley has a "lot of untapped potential" and needs a fresh start".

The guy will be 62 years old when he coaches his first Nebraska game. You'd think he would have "tapped" some of that "potential" by now.
    Probably just a late bloomer eh?

Thanks for the comic relief!

Oh and by the way Sparky, coaching offers are never "officially" made until the job is certain to be accepted. That's the process. Offers go through surrogates so the parties involved can retain "plausible deniability" if the offer is declined. When Nebraska fired Frank Solich they offered the job to at least 3 coaches all of whom turned it down. To this day Nebraska is still lying and saying no offers were made other than to the guy they hired - Bill Callahan. Complete bullsh*t and they know it but they must save face.

At first I thought you were just a troll but you are the real deal. You really are as stupid as your postings indicate. Nonetheless keep posting your illogical drivel we all need the giggles.

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    A mediocre 61 year old coach that was 93-80 in his time at oregon st, on what planet is this a good hire? Guy had losing season 3 of the last 5 years.
    Only on the planet Dumb Ass where Eddy Munny lives.

Aside from the guy's record think about recruiting. Yeah a 61 year old white guy is really gonna be able to connect with the fellas from the hood! This is going to turn into a debacle. Riley will "retire" after 5 years of mediocrity and the current AD will have left for greener pastures by then.

But don't fret Huskers fans five seasons will go by in a blink of an eye.

Maybe in 2020 Nebraska University will get it right.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

Nebraska is getting an excellent coach and a tremendous man! I have never seen anyone do as much with so little when it comes to coaching. Coach Riley knows how to beat top teams with predominantly second tier players. Couple that with the kind of work ethic he will bring and the future potential is through the ceiling. You will never have to worry about NCAA investigations or shady stuff. He is in the same character mold as Coach Osborn. Great hire for Nebraska! Good luck OSU trying to find someone that will do it better than he did.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Guy just looks boring. Perfect Nebraska hire

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nebraska will always be good but not great

They are overmatched somewhat in the big 10

Eddy Munny

Guy with the kitten avatar must really, really want to believe Bielema turned down Nebraska.

If you follow the timeline of events, the alleged Bielema offer makes no sense whatsoever, but far be it for me to undermine your fairy tale with facts.

The post-Solich coaching search is irrelevant... that was two athletic directors ago. Everyone knows Bill Callahan wasn't the original target, or even plan B, C, or D for that matter. The "surrogates" were effectively bypassed when Eichorst forwent a search firm and conducted the process largely on his own.

You're kidding yourself if you think Bielema said "no" on Tuesday, and by Wednesday, NU had Riley buying red neckties.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Nebraska is getting an excellent coach and a tremendous man! I have never seen anyone do as much with so little when it comes to coaching. Coach Riley knows how to beat top teams with predominantly second tier players. Couple that with the kind of work ethic he will bring and the future potential is through the ceiling. You will never have to worry about NCAA investigations or shady stuff. He is in the same character mold as Coach Osborn. Great hire for Nebraska! Good luck OSU trying to find someone that will do it better than he did.
    4-14 lifetime against top 25.