Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Bo Pelini's Record Dissected

Bo Pelini went 26-25 against opponents that finished with winning records.

40-2 against opponents .500 or less.

Never won a conference championship and lost at least 4 games every season.

Below are listed some of the pathetic non conference mutts he padded his record against. Excuse the formatting.

In conference doormats (which are not listed) like Iowa State and Kansas (Big 12) and Purdue and Indiana (Big 10) added another 12 wins or so to his career tally.

To describe his tenure as mediocre is being quite generous.

Western Michigan MAC W 47 24 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 6, 2008 Sat Nebraska San Jose State WAC W 35 12 2 0 W 2
    3 Sep 13, 2008 Sat Nebraska New Mexico State WAC W 38 7 3 0 W 3

Florida Atlantic Sun Belt W 49 3 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 12, 2009 Sat (22) Nebraska Arkansas State Sun Belt W 38 9 2 0 W 2
    3 Sep 19, 2009 Sat (19) Nebraska @ (13) Virginia Tech ACC L 15 16 2 1
    4 Sep 26, 2009 Sat (25) Nebraska Louisiana-Lafayette Sun Belt W 55 0
    Western Kentucky Sun Belt W 49 10 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 11, 2010 Sat (6) Nebraska Idaho WAC W 38 17 2 0 W 2
    3 Sep 18, 2010 Sat (8) Nebraska @ Washington Pac-10 W 56 21 3 0 W 3
    4 Sep 25, 2010 Sat (6) Nebraska South Dakota State Non-Major W 17 3 4 0 W 4

Chattanooga Non-Major W 40 7 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 10, 2011 Sat (10) Nebraska Fresno State WAC W 42 29 2 0 W 2
    3 Sep 17, 2011 Sat (11) Nebraska Washington Pac-12 W 51 38 3 0 W 3
    4 Sep 24, 2011 Sat (9) Nebraska @ Wyoming MWC W 38 14 4 0 W 4

Southern Mississippi CUSA W 49 20 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 8, 2012 Sat (16) Nebraska @ UCLA Pac-12 L 30 36 1 1 L 1
    3 Sep 15, 2012 Sat Nebraska Arkansas State Sun Belt W 42 13 2 1 W 1
    4 Sep 22, 2012 Sat (25) Nebraska Idaho State Non-Major W 73 7 3 1

Nebraska Wyoming MWC W 37 34 1 0 W 1
    2 Sep 7, 2013 6:00 PM Sat (22) Nebraska Southern Mississippi CUSA W 56 13 2 0 W 2
    3 Sep 14, 2013 12:00 PM Sat (23) Nebraska (16) UCLA Pac-12 L 21 41 2 1 L 1
    4 Sep 21, 2013 3:30 PM Sat Nebraska South Dakota State Non-Major W 59 20 3 1 W 1

f Pts Opp W L Streak TV Notes
    1 Aug 30, 2014 3:30 PM Sat (22) Nebraska Florida Atlantic CUSA W 55 7 1 0 W 1 Big Ten Network
    2 Sep 6, 2014 12:00 PM Sat (19) Nebraska McNeese State Non-Major W 31 24 2 0 W 2 ESPN U
    3 Sep 13, 2014 10:30 PM Sat Nebraska @ Fresno State MWC

Memo to all the talking heads on sports radio:

STOP WITH THE 9 WIN PER SEASON WHINE. If half you big mouths would do your homework instead of regurgitating what every other idiot on the air is blathering you might be worth listening to.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-02-14 at 04:25 PM.
    Points Awarded:

shopbar picks gave Isaiah 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Even worse is his record vs top 25 teams.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

Always thought he was just an excuse maker...... never his fault....

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6319

Well most coaches that are considered great have bad records against the top 25, I like to look at games they lost that they should have won and vice versa. Like to look at the talent on the team as a whole, Braska this year basically a two man offensive team with a qb that cant really pass and a defense that is bad, record this year should be worse than what it is. Riley's 61, what exactly are they expecting.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

they made a lateral move with a guy whos older

meader99

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Well most coaches that are considered great have bad records against the top 25, I like to look at games they lost that they should have won and vice versa. Like to look at the talent on the team as a whole, Braska this year basically a two man offensive team with a qb that cant really pass and a defense that is bad, record this year should be worse than what it is. Riley's 61, what exactly are they expecting.
    You don't win championships by beating up on bottom feeders. Sooner or later you gotta beat the big boys too. If his defense stinks and his offense is a 2 man band with a qb that cant throw, who's fault is that? Who recruited the garbage? Oh yeah, Pellini did.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    You don't win championships by beating up on bottom feeders. Sooner or later you gotta beat the big boys too. If his defense stinks and his offense is a 2 man band with a qb that cant throw, who's fault is that? Who recruited the garbage? Oh yeah, Pellini did.
    Check out the current coaches records who are considered very good against the top 25 might be shocked, yes he recruited them and that happens from time to time just saying I dont see how Riley is such a better improvement if an improvement at all and he's 61.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

I agree with Toler, you have to get a guy whos clearly better if you fire Pelini. I really dont understand the move even a little.

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22563

As a lifelong husker. This is a good move. I hope he will bring a better front man for the program. He has head coaching experience. Won the gray cup in the cfl. Bo was an experiment. And not received well by alot of fans here. Most of us don't need to win the Nat Championship game. Just don't lose to the badgers by 40 every time.

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22563

And at least the skers AD had the balls to shed a 9 and 2 coach. Stoops has been at OU far too long.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by shopbar picks View Post
    And at least the skers AD had the balls to shed a 9 and 2 coach. Stoops has been at OU far too long.
    Is that balls, stupidity, or caving into pressure? Nebraska got rid os Solich hasnt been so great afterwards days of Osborne are long over. Not sure exactly what you guys are expecting down there. Coaches turn down the job knowing 9-10 wins isnt good enough heck Frank won 12 so what his record wasnt good against top 25 on the road. I think Nebraska has become proof that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

meader99

Check out the current coaches records who are considered very good against the top 25 might be shocked, yes he recruited them and that happens from time to time just saying I dont see how Riley is such a better improvement if an improvement at all and he's 61.
    He's 9-17 against AP top 25 teams. I'm not debating the new hire vs. Pellini, I'm simply stating 9-17 at a football program like Nebraska simply wont cut it. Pellini is what he is, he can beat teams he's supposed to beat and that's it.

jtoler

He's 9-17 against AP top 25 teams. I'm not debating the new hire vs. Pellini, I'm simply stating 9-17 at a football program like Nebraska simply wont cut it. Pellini is what he is, he can beat teams he's supposed to beat and that's it.
    Again go check the current coaches that are considered good, check out their all time record against top 25, Not many with a record even as good as 9-17, I heard Cowherd talking about this yesterday 89% of the top level college coaches have a losing record against ranked opponents. Riley is 14-41 against the top 25.
    Last edited by jtoler; 12-05-14 at 10:00 AM.

irishstuey
    irishstuey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1654

Again go check the current coaches that are considered good, check out their all time record against top 25, you would be hard pressed to find one with a record as good as 9-17, I heard Cowherd talking about this yesterday and every coach's record he said had records worse than that percentage I believe, except Saban and maybe Oklahoma's coach.

No, you look at their record against the top 25 the last few years. Thats all that matters...what have you done lately. And in football, lately means something different.

Bo Pelini would have been gone sooner if he didn't have some powerful supporters. The naysayers finally won out. Bo has terrible sideline demeanor (look at the coach many fans remember, tom osborne) not saying thats right or wrong, but the people want someone with a little class. You really don't think Carl Pelini wasn't up to the same stuff at NU? I think there is a lot more that went into this firing.

Frank Solich: You can look up the rumors, but if there is any truth, you can see why the University let him go.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by irishstuey View Post
    No, you look at their record against the top 25 the last few years. Thats all that matters...what have you done lately. And in football, lately means something different.

Bo Pelini would have been gone sooner if he didn't have some powerful supporters. The naysayers finally won out. Bo has terrible sideline demeanor (look at the coach many fans remember, tom osborne) not saying thats right or wrong, but the people want someone with a little class. You really don't think Carl Pelini wasn't up to the same stuff at NU? I think there is a lot more that went into this firing.

Frank Solich: You can look up the rumors, but if there is any truth, you can see why the University let him go.
    Lol who cares about any of that stuff, thats mainly what Cowherd was talking about yesterday with Nebraska wanting a nice coach, think he said nice coaches dont win lol, anyway Braska is unrealistic, guys have come through there like Solich and did well and they let him go, not like Im some fan of Pellini but he was winning 9 games, just saying it could be worse, I know their history and its storied no doubt, but that coach is gone and they need to be more realistic, yes everyone wants to win and win big, but if a guy is winning fairly well I think you need to be encouraging him and maybe the wins go up some not tearing him down. Same thing seems to go on at Georgia every year, Richt is talked about being on the hot seat and the guy wins 9 or 10 games every year, yet there's still crazy talk going on, I dont get it, I love when they let these guys go and then their program goes rock bottom, I hope Braska bellies up from now on. Nothing against Riley, like him but I cant stand Nebraska with how they do coaches.

jtoler

Against the top 25

Rich Rodriguez: 10 games below .500
    Bret Bielema: 10-20
    Dabo Swinney: 9-13
    David Cutcliffe: 8-25
    Kirk Ferentz: 19-34
    Bill Snyder: 23-43
    Mark D'Antonio 12-25
    That's just a few, only a few have decent to good records, its rare, Nebraksa isnt an elite program anymore, accept it, be happy and grateful for 9 wins, if you get 10 wins be very happy, it could be alot worse.

irishstuey

Lol who cares about any of that stuff, thats mainly what Cowherd was talking about yesterday with Nebraska wanting a nice coach, think he said nice coaches dont win lol, anyway Braska is unrealistic, guys have come through there like Solich and did well and they let him go, not like Im some fan of Pellini but he was winning 9 games, just saying it could be worse, I know their history and its storied no doubt, but that coach is gone and they need to be more realistic, yes everyone wants to win and win big, but if a guy is winning fairly well I think you need to be encouraging him and maybe the wins go up some not tearing him down. Same thing seems to go on at Georgia every year, Richt is talked about being on the hot seat and the guy wins 9 or 10 games every year, yet there's still crazy talk going on, I dont get it, I love when they let these guys go and then their program goes rock bottom, I hope Braska bellies up from now on. Nothing against Riley, like him but I cant stand Nebraska with how they do coaches.
    Well, your are listening to Cowherd.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547974
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323360275
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322800194

It's these completely and utterly massive beat downs that show this NU team, just isn't very good. They play 3 terrible teams every year, much like a sec schedule, and schedule one decent to good team. Then they play against this division below in the big 10. Tell me how 9 wins is performing well?
    #13 Wisconsin 7-1 10-2
    Minnesota 5-3 8-4
    Nebraska 5-3 9-3
    Iowa 4-4 7-5
    Illinois 3-5 6-6
    Northwestern 3-5 5-7
    Purdue 1-7 3-9

jtoler

Well, your are listening to Cowherd.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400547974
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=323360275
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=322800194

It's these completely and utterly massive beat downs that show this NU team, just isn't very good. They play 3 terrible teams every year, much like a sec schedule, and schedule one decent to good team. Then they play against this division below in the big 10. Tell me how 9 wins is performing well?
    #13 Wisconsin 7-1 10-2
    Minnesota 5-3 8-4
    Nebraska 5-3 9-3
    Iowa 4-4 7-5
    Illinois 3-5 6-6
    Northwestern 3-5 5-7
    Purdue 1-7 3-9
    What game this year did Nebraska lose that they were supposed to win? You can argue Minnesota since it was at home, but Minny is a better team, close loss. Close loss against Michigan State on the road also. Braska doesnt have much talent it seems yet they won 9 games, defense is bad, RB mainly leaned on and he got hurt and qb who is a better runner than passer, IMO they overachieved this year.
    Last edited by jtoler; 12-05-14 at 10:38 AM.

irishstuey

What game this year did Nebraska lose that they were supposed to win? You can argue Minnesota since it was at home, but Minny is a better team, close loss. Close loss against Michigan State on the road also. Braska doesnt have much talent it seems yet they won 9 games, defense is bad, RB mainly leaned on and he got hurt and qb who is a better runner than passer, IMO they overachieved this year.
    After 7 years the defense is bad? Isn't that why Pelini was brought in? Listen, I'd like to see him stay. I hate NU living in the area and working with fans that lived thru the 90's, it is fun watching some dude pile up 408 yards when NU knows it's coming.

I don't see the knock against Riley. He's been coaching the Kansas of the west coast and had some success. If the rumor is true and he can bring along Orgeron to recruit. I think this is a serious upgrade. Also, a possibility of bringing on Frost as OC and coach in waiting.

jtoler

After 7 years the defense is bad? Isn't that why Pelini was brought in? Listen, I'd like to see him stay. I hate NU living in the area and working with fans that lived thru the 90's, it is fun watching some dude pile up 408 yards when NU knows it's coming.

I don't see the knock against Riley. He's been coaching the Kansas of the west coast and had some success. If the rumor is true and he can bring along Orgeron to recruit. I think this is a serious upgrade. Also, a possibility of bringing on Frost as OC and coach in waiting.
    I never knocked Riley, I like him mainly because he has Bama ties, just saying it could get worse from here. Pellini had a 67-27 record, thats better than Osborne had his first 7 years, Solich in his 6 years was 58-19 also better than Osborne's record after first 6 years. Pellini could have went on to do even better we will never know now, but 9 wins is 9 wins, not to mention the bowl game where he could have gotten win number 10, just seems to me that youd think Braska would have learned their lesson by now and be a little more humble, but I forgot this is college football and everybody isnt just trying to keep up with the Jones's they think they are the Jones's. Now you have a guy who's 61, where do you think his mindset is, do you think he's really that concerned about getting fired at 61, he could give two turds, so I expect he'll coach 4-6 years, make multiple millions, get fired because either he just doesnt do well there or Braska will start bitching about 8 or 9 wins again and saying he's too old and the game has passed him by. Cant wait to watch this screw up of a program for years to come.

irishstuey

I never knocked Riley, I like him mainly because he has Bama ties, just saying it could get worse from here. Pellini had a 67-27 record, thats better than Osborne had his first 7 years, Solich in his 6 years was 58-19 also better than Osborne's record after first 6 years. Pellini could have went on to do even better we will never know now, but 9 wins is 9 wins, not to mention the bowl game where he could have gotten win number 10, just seems to me that youd think Braska would have learned their lesson by now and be a little more humble, but I forgot this is college football and everybody isnt just trying to keep up with the Jones's they think they are the Jones's. Now you have a guy who's 61, where do you think his mindset is, do you think he's really that concerned about getting fired at 61, he could give two turds, so I expect he'll coach 4-6 years, make multiple millions, get fired because either he just doesnt do well there or Braska will start bitching about 8 or 9 wins again and saying he's too old and the game has passed him by. Cant wait to watch this screw up of a program for years to come.
    Pelini would still be NU head coach had it not been for the way he acts. You can say it doesn't matter, but it does to some. Also, getting embarresed on the big stage plays a major factor. Doesn't change the fact that he was brought in as a head coach that could turn the defense around. Outside the years of maybe the most dominant DL player in CFB history, the defenses have been average to very poor. He didn't do the job he was brought in to do, like any other industry you're not going last with poor performance (outside state and federal jobs).

Could things go downhill with Riley, absolutely. They could get better too and stay the same. All possibilites are on the table.

jtoler

Pelini would still be NU head coach had it not been for the way he acts. You can say it doesn't matter, but it does to some. Also, getting embarresed on the big stage plays a major factor. Doesn't change the fact that he was brought in as a head coach that could turn the defense around. Outside the years of maybe the most dominant DL player in CFB history, the defenses have been average to very poor. He didn't do the job he was brought in to do, like any other industry you're not going last with poor performance (outside state and federal jobs).

Could things go downhill with Riley, absolutely. They could get better too and stay the same. All possibilites are on the table.
    What is better? 10 wins? Pellini won at least 9 every year, or is better not getting embarrassed or beating Michigan State and/or Ohio State once in a while even if you finish with 8 wins, is it really about bragging rights or does win count not matter? So for Riley to do better he'd need to win 10 games, I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt get to 10 wins while at Nebraska, in fact Id bet he doesnt if there was such a bet, Im sure the majority would say the same thing.

irishstuey

Clearly not going to agree on this topic. I'm going to miss that cry baby mother trucker.
    Attached Images  

jtoler

Are you an Notre Dame fan?

meader99

Again go check the current coaches that are considered good, check out their all time record against top 25, Not many with a record even as good as 9-17, I heard Cowherd talking about this yesterday 89% of the top level college coaches have a losing record against ranked opponents. Riley is 14-41 against the top 25.
    Once again, I'm not sure why you keep bringing Riley up, has nothing to do with him. You either accept mediocrity or you make changes. That's all NU did. Maybe some folks are happy going to a bowl game and never even getting in the championship discussion. You can keep those losers.

irishstuey

Are you an Notre Dame fan?

Sure am. Same situation going on, except they have far out recruited NE nearly every single year.

BK gets a full compliment of players next year. He'll be gone if there isn't any change.

jtoler

Once again, I'm not sure why you keep bringing Riley up, has nothing to do with him. You either accept mediocrity or you make changes. That's all NU did. Maybe some folks are happy going to a bowl game and never even getting in the championship discussion. You can keep those losers.
    Well he's the one who took the job so its kinda relevant. Do you or do you not think Riley will do better?

jtoler

Sure am. Same situation going on, except they have far out recruited NE nearly every single year.

BK gets a full compliment of players next year. He'll be gone if there isn't any change.
    Kinda ironic that youd bring up sideline demeanor then seeing who's your coach.

meader99

Well he's the one who took the job so its kinda relevant. Do you or do you not think Riley will do better?
    I have no opinion on Mike Riley. Just that Pellini is gone cause he couldn't beat good teams. That and the fact that he challenged Nebraska to fire him last year.

irishstuey

Kinda ironic that youd bring up sideline demeanor then seeing who's your coach.
    Yeah, I actually want kelly gone this year, but that's not gonna happen. He looks like a complete tool, along with Pelini. Going for 2 against NW was the last straw on my part. Then he couldn't man up at press conference and say it was friggin stupid.