Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Could we possibly see 2 SEC West Teams in the College Football 4 Team Playoff?

Or is there a bunch of pressure on the committee to have 4 different conferences represented?

SECguru
    SECguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 644

If the other conferences have a champion with 2 losses I don't see how they can keep out two sec west teams. The only problem is every team in the west still has a brutal schedule. Is this a playoff of the best 4 teams or best four conferences?

gwills
    gwills's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

It is a very real possibility.

Microbetter
    Microbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13606

ACC Champ, SEC Champ. Big10 Champ, Then the pressure will be on to name the fourth one in. They will probably name either the PAC 10 Champ or Big 12 Champ even with 2 losses. Whoever they choose, there will be an outcry to expand the playoffs to eight teams.
    With 8 teams you would have the 5 champs, maybe another SEC west team and 2 mid-majors.
    The 8 team playoff will be great for CFB.

M.W.
    M.W.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6270

I think it's possible, and as a fan of a non-SEC team I have no problem with that possibility based on what we know now.

Poison-Nut
    Poison-Nut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

God I hope not. Tired of all the SECk BS hype. Everyone thinks it's quality football, and ESecPN and the rest of the media just fall on their knees for this league. But when it comes to ratings and CF itself, I think it is destroying the tradition of CF. Everything now in CF is about conference alignment. It's a civil war again, with the SECk vs Bigten. It has become a battle of which network can summon more money and get more exposure. It's about SECk teams chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" when they are playing an opponent- WTF is that about.

gwills
    gwills's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

Quote Originally Posted by Poison-Nut View Post
    God I hope not. Tired of all the SECk BS hype. Everyone thinks it's quality football, and ESecPN and the rest of the media just fall on their knees for this league. But when it comes to ratings and CF itself, I think it is destroying the tradition of CF. Everything now in CF is about conference alignment. It's a civil war again, with the SECk vs Bigten. It has become a battle of which network can summon more money and get more exposure. It's about SECk teams chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" when they are playing an opponent- WTF is that about.
    The Big Ten sucks. Sorry dude - it's true. Minnesota? Maryland? Rutgers? Iowa? Illinois? Indiana? That's half the conference right there in crappy teams. Not to mention Michigan who is tanking and penn state. The only thing the Big Ten is good for is basketball.

The Big Ten is the 4th best conference this year - MAYBE.

portetdaspet
    portetdaspet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1008

If there's a 1 loss SEC West team that doesn't win the West and only loses to the SEC Champ it will be very hard to leave them out.

Microbetter
    Microbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13606

I forgot to mention Notre Dame as a possibility for the 4th spot. If they have only one loss, they will be picked over a one loss SEC team. Notre Dame has too much national appeal to be left out.

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

The whole esecpn thing sucks because a decade ago when OSU, ND and Nebraska were winning NC's they didn't have major corporations backing their WHOLE conferences.

the SEC is not the best conference it does have a handful of the best teams
    the rankings have become a joke. God forbid ANY non sec team Loses. They're done

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

High probability two SEC teams make it, there are no set rules regarding conferences, committee could take 4 teams from same conference if it chooses to.

LT Profits

And the SEC is not hype. It is overexposed, I will agree with that. But the reality is that it IS the best conference in the country, and by a pretty big margin.

Magnolia Slim
    Magnolia Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    And the SEC is not hype. It is overexposed, I will agree with that. But the reality is that it IS the best conference in the country, and by a pretty big margin.

swag1982
    swag1982's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2378

What was the best out of conference sec win
    the seriously entitled conference probably is the best conference but if they r so superior to every other conference why do they schedual so week out of conference

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by swag1982 View Post
    What was the best out of conference sec win
    the seriously entitled conference probably is the best conference but if they r so superior to every other conference why do they schedual so week out of conference
    Obviously valid points regarding scheduling, but it has been that way for years and has not prevented them from dominating championships. But I agree, I would love to see more SEC vs. power conference regular season matchups.

All of that aside however, the SEC has at least 4 teams capable of winning the championship this year. No other conference can make that claim, so that in itself still makes the SEC the best for now.

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

I think a 1 loss Sparty gets a slot
    Committee won't overlook the fact they had the stones to schedule Oregon

ReconSnarff
    ReconSnarff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2259

Quote Originally Posted by gwills View Post
    The Big Ten sucks. Sorry dude - it's true. Minnesota? Maryland? Rutgers? Iowa? Illinois? Indiana? That's half the conference right there in crappy teams. Not to mention Michigan who is tanking and penn state. The only thing the Big Ten is good for is basketball.

The Big Ten is the 4th best conference this year - MAYBE.
    Indiana= beat SEC team on the road. Rutgers=1 loss team. Iowa=1 loss team and is far from a crappy team. Minnesota= is a legit team this year and also only has 1 loss. If this is your list of crappy Big Ten teams, then the teams you think are good should all be in the playoff. Such a sensational statement. 4th best conference. LMAO.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by dfish View Post
    I think a 1 loss Sparty gets a slot
    Committee won't overlook the fact they had the stones to schedule Oregon
    It shouldn't matter because the Big Ten is way down this year. And even playing Oregon lost its luster when Oregon lost to Arizona. A one-loss SEC team should get in over Big Ten and Pac-12 champ.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ReconSnarff View Post
    Indiana= beat SEC team on the road. Rutgers=1 loss team. Iowa=1 loss team and is far from a crappy team. Minnesota= is a legit team this year and also only has 1 loss. If this is your list of crappy Big Ten teams, then the teams you think are good should all be in the playoff. Such a sensational statement. 4th best conference. LMAO.
    I think there is a lot more parity this year between the other four major conferences other than the SEC, there really isn't much separation between them. ACC was the worst last year (I know Flordida State overcame that) but they are improved with Clemson seemingly better and the addition of Louisville, while the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12 all seem worse than last year.

M.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Slim View Post
    So that's Chucky Mullins. Never saw him without a helmet. RIP.

M.W.

Right now three of the top four are probably SEC West: Ole Miss, State, and Auburn. Number four would be Baylor, Florida State, or Notre Dame.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
    Right now three of the top four are probably SEC West: Ole Miss, State, and Auburn. Number four would be Baylor, Florida State, or Notre Dame.
    Only thing is State and Auburn may lose two games, and if that happens, committee would favor one-loss Big Ten Champ / one-loss Oregon or one-loss Notre Dame over them. I think Florida State needs to go undefeated, they should be out if they lose a game (easiest schedule of conference champs if they win ACC with one loss).

ReconSnarff
    ReconSnarff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2259

I think there is a lot more parity this year between the other four major conferences other than the SEC, there really isn't much separation between them. ACC was the worst last year (I know Flordida State overcame that) but they are improved with Clemson seemingly better and the addition of Louisville, while the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12 all seem worse than last year.
    I hope we can at least agree that top to bottom, the ACC is the worst of the Power 5.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Real simple guys. If there are more than two teams in other conferences that have one loss or less, the SEC does NOT get more than one team in the playoff. As far as SEC West teams are concerned, the loser of the Ole Miss-Miss. State game is OUT. The loser of the Alabama-Auburn game is OUT. LSU, A&M and Arkansas are already OUT. If UGA loses another game, the entire SEC East is OUT.

It is obvious that none of you know very much about the committeee and how they will choose the teams. If at all possible, there will be 4 teams from 4 different conferences (or Notre Dame) in the CC game. The SEC plays a very weak non-con schedule, and that is going to hurt them with the SOS issue. It is just as possible that no SEC team gets in as two.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 10-18-14 at 11:27 AM.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Real simple guys. If there are more than two teams in other conferences that have one loss or less, the SEC does NOT get more than one team in the playoff. As far as SEC West teams are concerned, the loser of the Ole Miss-Miss. State game is OUT. The loser of the Alabama-Auburn game is OUT. LSU, A&M and Arkansas are already OUT. If UGA loses another game, the entire SEC East is OUT.

It is obvious that none of you know very much about the committeee and how they will choose the teams. If at all possible, there will be 4 teams from 4 different conferences (or Notre Dame) in the CC game. The SEC plays a very weak non-con schedule, and that is going to hurt them with the SOS issue. It is just as possible that no SEC team gets in as two.
    None of that is true except for the easy non-conference schedule. The SEC will be given every benefit of the doubt in tiebreaker cases. I suspect that is the very reason for the loose wording in their instructions to just select the "best" four teams irregardless of conference.

LT Profits

You can now cross off Big 12 champ from Playoff.

SECguru
    SECguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 644

The sec plays a weak out of conference schedule BC they play the toughest in conference schedule than any other league. The sec west is brutal. There might be one or two other teams in the country that could get out of that schedule with one loss but I doubt it. When you play 3-5 teams ranked in the top 15 every year why do you need to play a good out of conference team? Do you honestly believe florida State or anyone else would be undefeated playing Alabama, LSU, miss st, miss, A&M, and Auburn in the same year?

LT Profits

And it is official, if the season ended right now there would be THREE SEC teams in the Playoff. So if Florida State loses to Louisville (which I think they will) and Oregon (currently #5) loses to Stanford (possible), we could conceivably see ALL FOUR playoff spots being SEC next week!

College Football Playoff Rankings
    RK TEAM RECORD
    1 Mississippi State 7-0
    2 Florida State 7-0
    3 Auburn 6-1
    4 Ole Miss 7-1
    5 Oregon 7-1
    6 Alabama 7-1
    7 TCU 6-1
    8 Michigan State 7-1
    9 Kansas State 6-1
    10 Notre Dame 6-1

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

I really hope its gets changed to 8 team playoff in the future.

Magnolia Slim

Quote Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
    So that's Chucky Mullins. Never saw him without a helmet. RIP.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

And it is official, if the season ended right now there would be THREE SEC teams in the Playoff. So if Florida State loses to Louisville (which I think they will) and Oregon (currently #5) loses to Stanford (possible), we could conceivably see ALL FOUR playoff spots being SEC next week!

College Football Playoff Rankings
    RK TEAM RECORD
    1 Mississippi State 7-0
    2 Florida State 7-0
    3 Auburn 6-1
    4 Ole Miss 7-1
    5 Oregon 7-1
    6 Alabama 7-1
    7 TCU 6-1
    8 Michigan State 7-1
    9 Kansas State 6-1
    10 Notre Dame 6-1
    Ole Miss plays auburn so I doubt it. It'll work itself out...sec will get 2 in, max

Magnolia Slim

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Ole Miss plays auburn so I doubt it. It'll work itself out...sec will get 2 in, max
    I think Alabama and somebody else but I'm not sure bama will play in the sec championship game..

J_On_A_Roll
    J_On_A_Roll's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1698

Notre Dame sneaks in guarantee it!! They can beat any team in the nation with that D-Line and Elite Q.B of theirs.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Right, I forgot Old Miss plays Auburn. But it is still POSSIBLE for 3 SEC teams to get in. Suppose GEORGIA (currently not on top 10) wins SEC Championship Game? Oh the horror!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

People want networks to stop talking about the SEC how about going to teams like Purdue, Texas Tech, Virginia, and Cal and telling them to not suck so bad. Every conference has a good team or two at the top, but the 4th on down teams in the SEC are no comparison. Put Auburn, LSU, Georgia against the Iowa's, Utahs, Boston College, and Oklahoma States of the world and the SEC curb stomps them.

12 Last