Biff41
    Biff41's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4769

Syracuse Notre Dame

Here are some excellent comments from Bleacher Report; SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Stats don’t tell the entire story as Notre Dame football prepares to face Syracuse, which amassed 589 yards of total offense last week against Maryland. The Orange, despite outgaining Maryland by 220 yards, coughed up two turnovers, failed to convert twice in the red zone and surrendered three sacks in a 34-20 loss to the Terrapins at home Saturday. “Certainly if you just looked at the statistics, you would wonder how they didn't win that football game,” Irish head coach Brian Kelly said Tuesday. The 3-0 Irish now face the 2-1 Orange at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday night. Let’s analyze the Irish opposition and consider what prompted the gap between the squad that nearly touched 600 yards and the one that lost by 14 points. In addition to the aforementioned miscues against Maryland, Syracuse committed eight penalties for 69 yards, allowed a blocked punt and missed a 25-yard field goal. “I think the biggest theme on both sides, including the kicking game, is finish,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said this week in an interview with Matt Park of Cuse.com. "We have to finish better. We have to finish the play better.” Syracuse failed to finish drives against the Terrapins. Most notably, Orange senior quarterback Terrel Hunt tossed an interception that was returned 88 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. Syracuse had just used a monster 51-yard gain to power inside the red zone before the pick. “You can’t win games where you turn the ball over,” Shafer said to Cuse.com. “I felt like we really couldn’t be stopped unless we stop ourselves, and that’s exactly what happened.” The misfire was Hunt’s first interception of the season. But the dual-threat quarterback has completed only 59 percent of his passes. If Notre Dame disguises looks and forces Hunt to be more of a thrower, the Irish could confuse the quarterback and create takeaways. Notre Dame ranks eighth in the nation with its six interceptions, five of which have come in the last two games. Following the bye week, the secondary is resolidifying from the rash of injuries and an ejection that depleted the ranks against Purdue. With cornerbacks Cody Riggs and Cole Luke manning the perimeter and safeties Max Redfield, Elijah Shumate and, potentially, Austin Collinsworth flying around the center of the field, the athletic Irish secondary should be able to close quickly on the Orange receivers. If Notre Dame can find a pass rush, too, that could hurry Hunt to force throws with an attacking Irish defense waiting. Prolific Rushing Ability Nick Lisi/Associated Press Terrel Hunt Hunt played the lead role in Syracuse’s 370-yard rushing outburst against Maryland. The senior gained 156 yards and notched two scores on 23 attempts, putting him in some elite company among Orange quarterbacks. Through three games, Hunt has stockpiled 273 rushing yards. The Orange have 795 as a team—good for 265 per game. “I think our offensive coaches have done a nice job staying with what we wanted to be on offense,” Shafer said to Cuse.com. “I think our offense is starting to get a rhythm,” he later added. Notre Dame, for its part, has looked stout against the run, especially in its last two games, as Michigan only mustered 100 yards on 35 carries and Purdue scratched out 26 carries for 56 yards. Can the Irish keep tabs on Hunt throughout the game? The Irish handled dual-threat Rice quarterback Driphus Jackson (61 rushing yards) and Michigan signal-caller Devin Gardner (five yards). Hunt figures to get his share, but don’t expect him to gash the Irish. Notre Dame’s defense is too talented and has had too much time to prepare for Hunt and the Orange. Bullough’s Defensive Scheme In his weekly look at the opponent, Kelly heaped praise on Syracuse defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough. “[He] does a very good job of mixing things up, gets you in third down. … They do a great job of bringing different pressures out of their third-down packages and confuse the quarterback and make it difficult for you,” Kelly said. Kelly said Notre Dame must do a great job with its protections and ensure the downs and distances remain manageable. All of that seems doable, of course, for an offense that has scored at least 30 points in each of the first three games. But with Bullough dialing up different pressures, it will be interesting to watch how Notre Dame’s offensive line responds. While no changes are finalized yet, Kelly said, this week’s depth chart revealed a shakeup along the line. Nick Martin could move from center to left guard, with Matt Hegarty stepping in at center, and Christian Lombard could swap outside to right guard.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dan Kelly

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14055

Thanks for the War & Peace noval Biff.

Biff41

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    Thanks for the War & Peace noval Biff.
    It is pretty long. I' ll just post a link next time.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14055

Naw it's good. I'm just joking. I do that to ease the worry about the USA going down the toilet.

Biff41

Notre Dame likely to win but point spread is hard to predict. Opening at -13 might make Syracuse interesting but at -9 the fighting Irish look interesting. If Syracuse shows strong teamwork on def they could make it close. I would expect consistent play from ND. Syracuse could be the surprise here, for better or worse.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I did not know this game is in New Jersey Meadowlands

I think Notre Dame should overpower them in a high-scoring game

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

At least break it down in paragraphs for us

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

I don't have time to read

Too much work

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!
    PickoMoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 919

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

I feel the same way! Cuse couldn't handle Maryland at home last week and I don't think they'll be able to handle ND either! I'm feeling a two touchdown or more points win!

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Of all the great 'fade posts' I've ever read on SBR this is the greatest. To wit = It's succint, in just the first 4 words you're notified the poster knows nothing, and then - BAM - he hits you with his opinion stated in such a smooth literary manner as to assure you that his confidence, predicated on years of hard work and thorough analysis of this game, is greater than a 17 year old's notion of his own immortality. And, of course, the 'piece de resistance' is the author.
    This post is a work of art, a true classic, a definite 'Fade Post Hall of Fame' inductee. And jj, I know you are smart enough to fade yourself.

FADE - SYRACUSE and the UNDER.

BOL

P.S. A great writeup Biff

Biff41

Much Grass on the nomination DK.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Damn, can I get the cliff notes?

Who are you backing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff41 View Post
    Here are some excellent comments from Bleacher Report; SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Stats don’t tell the entire story as Notre Dame football prepares to face Syracuse, which amassed 589 yards of total offense last week against Maryland.
    The Orange, despite outgaining Maryland by 220 yards, coughed up two turnovers, failed to convert twice in the red zone and surrendered three sacks in a 34-20 loss to the Terrapins at home Saturday.
    “Certainly if you just looked at the statistics, you would wonder how they didn't win that football game,” Irish head coach Brian Kelly said Tuesday.
    The 3-0 Irish now face the 2-1 Orange at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday night. Let’s analyze the Irish opposition and consider what prompted the gap between the squad that nearly touched 600 yards and the one that lost by 14 points.
    In addition to the aforementioned miscues against Maryland, Syracuse committed eight penalties for 69 yards, allowed a blocked punt and missed a 25-yard field goal.
    “I think the biggest theme on both sides, including the kicking game, is finish,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said this week in an interview with Matt Park of Cuse.com. "We have to finish better. We have to finish the play better.”
    Syracuse failed to finish drives against the Terrapins. Most notably, Orange senior quarterback Terrel Hunt tossed an interception that was returned 88 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. Syracuse had just used a monster 51-yard gain to power inside the red zone before the pick.
    “You can’t win games where you turn the ball over,” Shafer said to Cuse.com. “I felt like we really couldn’t be stopped unless we stop ourselves, and that’s exactly what happened.”
    The misfire was Hunt’s first interception of the season. But the dual-threat quarterback has completed only 59 percent of his passes. If Notre Dame disguises looks and forces Hunt to be more of a thrower, the Irish could confuse the quarterback and create takeaways.
    Notre Dame ranks eighth in the nation with its six interceptions, five of which have come in the last two games. Following the bye week, the secondary is resolidifying from the rash of injuries and an ejection that depleted the ranks against Purdue. With cornerbacks Cody Riggs and Cole Luke manning the perimeter and safeties Max Redfield, Elijah Shumate and, potentially, Austin Collinsworth flying around the center of the field, the athletic Irish secondary should be able to close quickly on the Orange receivers. If Notre Dame can find a pass rush, too, that could hurry Hunt to force throws with an attacking Irish defense waiting.
    Prolific Rushing Ability

Nick Lisi/Associated Press
    Terrel Hunt
    Hunt played the lead role in Syracuse’s 370-yard rushing outburst against Maryland. The senior gained 156 yards and notched two scores on 23 attempts, putting him in some elite company among Orange quarterbacks.
    Through three games, Hunt has stockpiled 273 rushing yards. The Orange have 795 as a team—good for 265 per game.
    “I think our offensive coaches have done a nice job staying with what we wanted to be on offense,” Shafer said to Cuse.com.
    “I think our offense is starting to get a rhythm,” he later added.
    Notre Dame, for its part, has looked stout against the run, especially in its last two games, as Michigan only mustered 100 yards on 35 carries and Purdue scratched out 26 carries for 56 yards. Can the Irish keep tabs on Hunt throughout the game?
    The Irish handled dual-threat Rice quarterback Driphus Jackson (61 rushing yards) and Michigan signal-caller Devin Gardner (five yards). Hunt figures to get his share, but don’t expect him to gash the Irish. Notre Dame’s defense is too talented and has had too much time to prepare for Hunt and the Orange.
    Bullough’s Defensive Scheme
    In his weekly look at the opponent, Kelly heaped praise on Syracuse defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough.
    “[He] does a very good job of mixing things up, gets you in third down. … They do a great job of bringing different pressures out of their third-down packages and confuse the quarterback and make it difficult for you,” Kelly said.
    Kelly said Notre Dame must do a great job with its protections and ensure the downs and distances remain manageable. All of that seems doable, of course, for an offense that has scored at least 30 points in each of the first three games.
    But with Bullough dialing up different pressures, it will be interesting to watch how Notre Dame’s offensive line responds. While no changes are finalized yet, Kelly said, this week’s depth chart revealed a shakeup along the line. Nick Martin could move from center to left guard, with Matt Hegarty stepping in at center, and Christian Lombard could swap outside to right guard.

Biff41

I'm not making a play on this one, ND is the better team but too many unknowns on Cuse.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Cuse covers. ML worth a shot. Wish I got the 12 when it came out though.

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Cuse covers. ML worth a shot. Wish I got the 12 when it came out though.
    Weren't you heavy on cuse against MD last week? Rule #1: never gamble as a fan!

ND and it ain't gonna be close!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Perfect weather tonight
    Has to go over

Is Syracuse any good

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Perfect weather tonight
    Has to go over

Is Syracuse any good
    They lost at home by 14pts to Maryland last week.
    You tell me!

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

Quote Originally Posted by PickoMoff View Post
    You tell me!
    First off, Maryland is not a bad team bro...lots of weapons on offense,but also lots of injuries on D, so their overall game performance is not consistent because of the sketchy defense, but they can make big plays and put up points, overall decent team man. Anyways, ND is coming off a week of rest. And while the Syrcause QB is not bad(better runner than thrower) Goldson is better. I would normally take a look at the dog here in the old "look-ahead" game for ND with Stanford coming up next week...but Syracuse upset ND two seasons ago in a heartbreaker. I also love teams that don't turn the ball over and don't commit a lot of penalties, and ND is one of the best in both measurements in the country. Expect ND to roll tonight in MetLife.

Cuse0323

Weren't you heavy on cuse against MD last week? Rule #1: never gamble as a fan!

ND and it ain't gonna be close!
    Last week I let it be known that I didn't feel good about that game and if I had to bet I would take Maryland. I lost some games and said fck it and put what I had left on my team. Against CMU, I told people that we would destroy them. I do just fine gambling as a fan. This game I don't have any great feeling really, just think Cuse covers though.

Cuse0323

You tell me!
    Obviously you didn't watch any of the game. If you look at the stats you would think Syracuse won. It was one of those games were a team beat themselves but was better for the majority of the game. A penalty bringing back a TD which was BS and the killer, a pick 6 inside the red zone and a fumble in their own territory. Three plays were all that mattered in that one.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19455

Down to 8.5 now and I'm down big on ND; the Irish should roll.

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by mdunlap3 View Post
    First off, Maryland is not a bad team bro...lots of weapons on offense,but also lots of injuries on D, so their overall game performance is not consistent because of the sketchy defense, but they can make big plays and put up points, overall decent team man. Anyways, ND is coming off a week of rest. And while the Syrcause QB is not bad(better runner than thrower) Goldson is better. I would normally take a look at the dog here in the old "look-ahead" game for ND with Stanford coming up next week...but Syracuse upset ND two seasons ago in a heartbreaker. I also love teams that don't turn the ball over and don't commit a lot of penalties, and ND is one of the best in both measurements in the country. Expect ND to roll tonight in MetLife.
    Noted!

PickoMoff
    No Risk No Reward!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Last week I let it be known that I didn't feel good about that game and if I had to bet I would take Maryland. I lost some games and said fck it and put what I had left on my team. Against CMU, I told people that we would destroy them. I do just fine gambling as a fan. This game I don't have any great feeling really, just think Cuse covers though.
    Fair enough!

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

dirtycash66
    dirtycash66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18610

cuse had this game circled, they will bring it today. line is going down for a reason

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Syracuse has looked up and down. THey're a hard team to predict. Notre Dame is coming off a bye week, but has a look ahead game next week vs. Stanford. Hard to tell what they'll be like. Notre Dame should cover, but I may look for a tease with something else. THinking of teasing it with Navy.