TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Where to get best information???

Have my copy of Phil Steele ordered but it is taking forever. Any free sites or magazines that do anything close to what Phil Steele does?

H8ERS GONNA H8
    H8ERS GONNA H8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 276

I picked up the Athlon magazine preview about a month ago and really like it. Not as detailed as Steele but does a better job of summarizing each team and less useless info to work around.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Steele rehashes the same crap every year. He has a lot of info but when I turn to the OU section have the article has been the same for the last 10 years. He is still talking about how he pegged hem as a surprise team in 2000.

He picks like 15 surprise teams a year. It's not shocking he sometimes gets a few right.

As for ordering the magazine, I've always wondered why people order them. Aren't they sold pretty much everywhere?

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Steele rehashes the same crap every year. He has a lot of info but when I turn to the OU section have the article has been the same for the last 10 years. He is still talking about how he pegged hem as a surprise team in 2000.

He picks like 15 surprise teams a year. It's not shocking he sometimes gets a few right.

As for ordering the magazine, I've always wondered why people order them. Aren't they sold pretty much everywhere?
    The info is the meat of the magazine and I haven't seen it sold in stores. I would love to but if now though

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Steele's rag is not sold out here. No one carry's it. I have seen Athelon, Lindy's, and the Sporting News, but no Steele. His rag is $3.00 more than the others, and they just did not sell out here last year, so the stores just stopped ordering them and the wholesalers stopped carrying them. I agree with H8ters and BigD.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Steele's rag is not sold out here. No one carry's it. I have seen Athelon, Lindy's, and the Sporting News, but no Steele. His rag is $3.00 more than the others, and they just did not sell out here last year, so the stores just stopped ordering them and the wholesalers stopped carrying them. I agree with H8ters and BigD.
    He has several sets of rankings, names like 10 mid majors that could surprise and list like 20 teams that could win the title.

He then copies the same language in his team write ups year after year. He really only adds like 5 sentences that are new. How is that any different than any of the other magazines like Athlon, Lindys, etc?

My thing is this. I could name 15 teams that I think might win the national title and one of them would.

I could also name 10 mid-majors that might surprise and one might pan out.

Is he really giving us insight we don't have?

According to Steele if OU beats Texas and gets by Baylor and Oklahoma State, they have a decent shot at making the playoff. Well no shit Sherlock.

Did you know that Auburn was Steele's number 7 surprise team last year and in 2004 they were his #3 surprise team? If you didn't, he will let you know in his magazine. He constantly talks about being right about shit that happened a decade ago. Congrats on picking Auburn, LSU, Texas, and USC as surprise teams every year. Some years they're good.

13 of Steele's 15 models call for FSU to go undefeated....lol. Ok. So if try do to you had two models that said they would lose. Got all angles covered.

Lol

His magazine is more expensive this year. I think it may be like 11.99 as opposed to 9.99 or whatever.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 08-24-14 at 03:24 PM.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    He has several sets of rankings, names like 10 mid majors that could surprise and list like 20 teams that could win the title.

He then copies the same language in his team write ups year after year. He really only adds like 5 sentences that are new. How is that any different than any of the other magazines like Athlon, Lindys, etc?

My thing is this. I could name 15 teams that I think might win the national title and one of them would.

I could also name 10 mid-majors that might surprise and one might pan out.

Is he really giving us insight we don't have?

According to Steele if OU beats Texas and gets by Baylor and Oklahoma State, they have a decent shot at making the playoff. Well no shit Sherlock.

Did you know that Auburn was Steele's number 7 surprise team last year and in 2004 they were his #3 surprise team? If you didn't, he will let you know in his magazine. He constantly talks about being right about shit that happened a decade ago. Congrats on picking Auburn, LSU, Texas, and USC as surprise teams every year. Some years they're good.

13 of Steele's 15 models call for FSU to go undefeated....lol. Ok. So if try do to you had two models that said they would lose. Got all angles covered.

Lol

His magazine is more expensive this year. I think it may be like 11.99 as opposed to 9.99 or whatever.

his info is still top notch. I dont pay attention to his predictions. He details every positional unit for every team which is incredibly useful

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Steele's advantage is his quick-reference, detailed stats. That info is very good, but there's not much else that's useful in there. You can find better team summaries online.

Billy Connelly writes a series of team previews every year for SB Nation that are very solid, including a good balance of general information and more detailed breakdowns on team strengths & weaknesses. Here are his articles on Arkansas, Michigan State, and Stanford, to give you an idea of what they're like.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Steele's advantage is his quick-reference, detailed stats. That info is very good, but there's not much else that's useful in there. You can find better team summaries online.

Billy Connelly writes a series of team previews every year for SB Nation that are very solid, including a good balance of general information and more detailed breakdowns on team strengths & weaknesses. Here are his articles on Arkansas, Michigan State, and Stanford, to give you an idea of what they're like.

very useful information indeed. That is close to what I'm looking for. I'll probably use that until the mag gets here. Just like everything being right in front of me