gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

phil steele favorite teams for 2014.

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/AUG14/DBAugust10.html

ones that seem very interesting to me....

georgia
    tulsa
    air force
    army
    idaho
    nevada

this is largely off-topic but amongst the bottomfeeding type teams do programs ever decide to go much more aggressively into JC players than they ever have before..... in canadian college football i have seen an incredibly massive improvement from an analogous situation. and that was one of the few years pinnacle offered lines on canadian college football (which is really small time)....

basically wondering why phil steele likes idaho... the rest make sense. in many cases starters back, teams that were much better a few seasons ago than last season (air force, florida) or a new coach that really makes sense for program (army)

gojetsgomoxies

memphis was a really trendy most improved pick last year. can't remember how that worked out. i'm thinking not great and not bad. somewhere in-between i think.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Memphis was 5-6 ATS last season. As far as Steele's picks go, strictly Mickey Mouse. Let's see what he says. Remember this is Steele, the king of the double talk.

georgia...3-8-1 ATS.
    tulsa...3-9 ATS.
    air force...3-9 ATS.
    army...4-7 ATS.
    idaho...2-9 ATS
    nevada...4-7 ATS.

Steele was really brave to pick these teams to improve ATS wise this season. How much worse can they get? Steele is nothing more than a double talking phony.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

I pay Steele for his information not his projections.

Idaho has been horrible lately....they have won 4 games in the last 3 years.

I suppose a jump to 2-3 wins would be a dramatic improvement for them, but I don't even see that. Their 2 most likely wins at Western Michigan at home, and New Mexico State at home.

gojetsgomoxies

bigdaddy, i read it that he thinks these teams will have good ATS records this year NOT that they'll be improved ATS-wise from last year...

i agree that when he does his straight-up win-loss improvement that it is hard for an 0-12 team not to improve. especially one like USM that has had good seasons and that is right in the middle of football talent hotbed

gojetsgomoxies

if anyone cares, my cursory analysis suggests idaho went very heavy on JC players and hadn't done so in previous seasons. and some of their recent recruiting classes before this year were very highly ranked in the WAC...... so perhaps a bunch of maturing past recruits plus immediate help with JC guys (they had the highest rated non-BCS JC recruit this year, i think) and petrino's brother is the coach......

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    bigdaddy, i read it that he thinks these teams will have good ATS records this year NOT that they'll be improved ATS-wise from last year...

i agree that when he does his straight-up win-loss improvement that it is hard for an 0-12 team not to improve. especially one like USM that has had good seasons and that is right in the middle of football talent hotbed
    I was talking ATS. My 3 year old great granddaughter could make those picks. I predict that a 2-9 Idaho team will improve ATS. We can all do that. I can say that UTEP will improve on their 2-10 ATS record of last year. How about Northwestern improving on their 3-9 ATS record of last season. This is just vintage Steele, trying to prove how good he is, when he really is not. He is the king of the double talkers. When it comes to making predictions, I would trust just about anyone in here over him.
    Points Awarded:

existential gave BigdaddyQH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

gojetsgomoxies

he suggests in the writeup that he's expecting these teams to do worse than other experts, and then he gives the link to the basic data he's using i.e. the stassen site.

anyway, if anyone cares here are some teams that he has worse than the other experts.. i did them by eye. hopefully this is representative..

texas
    ark state
    buffalo
    unlv
    texas
    kstate
    duke
    psu
    oregon
    south carolina
    stanford
    clemson

sory they aren't sort alphabetically

Briefcase
    Briefcase's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    I pay Steele for his information not his projections.
    this