James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

Utah State will beat Tennessee in CFB Week 1

If you want a real prediction, here's a +220 dog that will cash.... of this, I have little doubt. If you're scared, that's cool. Roll with the +7.5 points.

Chuckie Keeton is the new college version of Collin Kaepernick. He'S a senior leader who had led his physically inferior team into big games with big boys and given them a run for their money. Keeton is a legit early round draft pick at QB for the next level. He's come so close a couple of times to being a BCS buster, but this one I think he'll finally win.

Tennessee has essentially zero returning starters on both their offensive and defensive lines. Just about 1/3 of their roster has never played one down of college football. They have the size, yes. They have some skilled position players. They have depth, especially compared to Utah State. But they won't be able to stop a playmaker QB like Keeton.

I've been high on this Keeton kid since his freshman year, when I rode him and the Aggies +22 against post Cam Auburn big. Honestly, I didn't know who the kid was back then... I just thought it was a stupid week 1 number to pound. Go back and see how he played in that game as a true frosh, and youll see why I've tracked him ever since. He's an unreal talent that gets even less coverage than Kaepernick got at Nevada. Yes, he is coming off ACL surgery. Obviously, that and the talent gap play a factor. I'm not saying bet the farm on it. But if that line gets moved a little more by SEC public homers, it's something to look into. And if you like a good dog bet in week 1, this one has killer value.
    Last edited by James Marques; 08-01-14 at 01:11 AM.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

James---where you from?

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

I am staying away from this one - Utah State is good but even with Chuckie Keeton back they still lost quite a few contributors elsewhere

Dilo
    Big bets win big money
    Dilo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 953

This is too easy

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

+7.5 is the right side but Utah State lost a lot on defense

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Utah State has no offense to speak of. They return two QB's and that's about it. 5 Seniors graduated from their offensive line so that must be rebuilt. Their ground game is questionable at best. Fortunately for Utah State, Tennessee also does not have much of an offense. Their defenive strengths and weaknesses match up with Utah State's offensive steengths and weaknesses. I look for a low scoring game here. Utah state played Utah and USC tough, but lost both games, as well as a game against BYU. Utah State, like all the MWC teamms simply do not have the talent to go on the road and win games against good "Power 5" competition. The same will hold true here. Tennessee wins this game. A cover? NOt interested. A good game to stay away from. Utah State has never played in an enviornment like they will against Tennessee.

One other thing. You people have to STOP making up your own lines. Tennessee is favored by 6-6 1/2 points, NOT 7 1/2 points. Cut the crap and stop posting false lines. If you want to post lines that are different from the 15-20 Vegas books and the 30-40 off shore books that are easily accessable, you had better tell us which book you got the lines from. Do NOT tell us that you got that line 6 weeks ago, because if that were the case, you would have posted your pick 6 weeks ago. Also, do NOT conviently forget to tell us about the ridiculous vig you give to buy points. Some in here are famous for that. Posting false lines just tells a pro that you do not wager at all, which is probably the case of at least half of you that post in here.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 08-01-14 at 11:29 AM.
    Points Awarded:

existential gave BigdaddyQH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: El Nino

James Marques

It's 7 right now on 5dimes, was 7.5 the other day. Will be back to 7.5 by next week. I haven't placed any bet yet. I'm saying, keep an eye on it. Quit trying to act like some sort of know-it-all. You felt the need to give me a breakdown of a roster yesterday - for a team which I've held season tickets for coming up on 10 years now. If the line moved to 6.5, which i definitely missed... sorry. But it's 7 now, opened at 5, and will keep going up

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Keeton was a baller last year. let's not compare him to Kaepernick. acl and mobile qb, that's a combination i'd have to see succeed before i believe.

Hot Jerry
    Hot Jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4638

TENNESSEE by 2 TDs easy !!

James Marques

Their defense returns a solid corps of linebackers. Yes, there are definitely some missing pieces on the defensive line. They picked up 3 JUCOs that should help there, and I think 1 senior returning in that group. Tons of JUCO transfers coming in on offense, a couple at wide receiver. Hill went down in the 3rd game at RB... he's returning. USU has always had a decent scheme to support their running backs so that won't be a problem i don't think. Offensive line? Yes, definitely an issue. A few more JUCOs coming in there as well. Replacing an o-line is a hell of a lot easier to do with 21 year old transfers than it is with redshirt freshmen. Plus, it's the offensive scheme that makes those guys good anyway. I think this is a solid play straight up. If you disagree, take the points. I'd feel more comfortable on that end at 7.5 than I would at 7, but I can assure you... this line will keep going up. Might even catch 8. I live in Georgia, SEC country. All I hear every other day is how Tennessee is going to beat these guys by 3 touchdowns. That's the way people will be betting. You decide if you wanna be on that side.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by James Marques View Post
    It's 7 right now on 5dimes, was 7.5 the other day. Will be back to 7.5 by next week. I haven't placed any bet yet. I'm saying, keep an eye on it. Quit trying to act like some sort of know-it-all. You felt the need to give me a breakdown of a roster yesterday - for a team which I've held season tickets for coming up on 10 years now. If the line moved to 6.5, which i definitely missed... sorry. But it's 7 now, opened at 5, and will keep going up
    You have just proven my point. It is 7 now at 5Dimes, but it is -120. That means 6 1/2 -110. Once again, you have conviently forgot to post the correct vig. That means that you must wager 120 to win 100, NOT 110. I am sure that you will agree that this eventually adds up. Now I have no idea why you think the line will go up, when it has been going down in the past two weeks. It is rather obvious that you do NOT know a lot about the line.

As far as the game is concerned, if you go to SEC games, you know full well that the crowds really get into their football, especially game 1. Utah State has NEVER played in that type of atmosphere. That is worth 5-6 points for Tennessee. Both teams have big time problems with their offenses and both teams have strong secondaries on the defense. Utah State does not play near the caliber of football team week after week that Tennessee does. The MWC is a very weak conference, especially compared to the SEC. You say you live in Georgia. Tell me why you have had Tennessee season tickets for 10 years now. That is a hell of a long ride, no matter where you live in Georgia.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 08-01-14 at 12:15 PM.

James Marques

Utah State opened 2011 at Auburn. 22.5 point underdogs. They dominated Auburn for about 3 quarters. I think it was a kickoff return TD that saved Auburn that day. Don't tell me they'll be scared.
    Last edited by James Marques; 08-01-14 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Nevermind, it was an onside kick

James Marques

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    As far as the game is concerned, if you go to SEC games, you know full well that the crowds really get into their football, especially game 1. Utah State has NEVER played in that type of atmosphere. That is worth 5-6 points for Tennessee. Both teams have big time problems with their offenses and both teams have strong secondaries on the defense. Utah State does not play near the caliber of football team week after week that Tennessee does. The MWC is a very weak conference, especially compared to the SEC. You say you live in Georgia. Tell me why you have had Tennessee season tickets for 10 years now. That is a hell of a long ride, no matter where you live in Georgia.
    I live in Georgia. I went to Georgia Tech. I have had season tickets for Georgia Tech for 10 years. I could give a fukk about Tennessee, or the SEC in general for that matter.

This whole paragraph is just asinine. Of course the SEC is on a different level than the MWC. Thank you for that insight. Of course, Tennessee is a bottom-dweller in that conference, and Utah State will be competing to win the MWC. So that might shore up the perspective a little bit. College football is all about quarterback play. Underdogs with substantially better quarterbacks can have a fighting chance, even with size and speed disadvantages. What you fail to recognize is scheme. Utah State has played well against a lot of tough games because they have an offensive scheme that plays to their strengths. They run fantastic option plays. Their O-linemen are trained to get up field and block linebackers. It's very much a team game. Keeton is just a bonus. He has a strong arm that can catch you off guard and out of position, probably because you'll drop a man in coverage to spy him. While I agree it will probably be low scoring, I won't be drinking the SEC kool-aid on this one.

Did they lose to some tough opponents? Yes. But I would argue each one of those teams would beat Tennessee as well.
    Last edited by James Marques; 08-01-14 at 12:35 PM.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Tennessee has lost a home game to a MWC before

2008 they lost to Wyoming

Utah State has the ability to do so but needs to play good defense. If anything the UNDER should be the play here. Utah State's offense will suck even with Keeton back, pretty sure they only scored 14 at USC with him last year. USC last year was better than Tennessee will be this year.

Tennessee returns no OL or DL so that is in Utah State's favor. This has all the makings of a 20-17, 21-14 type game.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I live in Georgia. I went to Georgia Tech. I have had season tickets for Georgia Tech for 10 years. I could give a fukk about Tennessee, or the SEC in general for that matter.
    Wow. 10 years. I have to give you credit. It takes a true fan to hang in for 10 years just to see their team get their tails kicked every year (except one) by Georgia. I mean, 1-12 in the last 13 games is rough.

James Marques

Wow. 10 years. I have to give you credit. It takes a true fan to hang in for 10 years just to see their team get their tails kicked every year (except one) by Georgia. I mean, 1-12 in the last 13 games is rough.
    Is that meant to be some childish attempt at a putdown? Wow. A real zinger there too. My admiration for my childhood-favorite college football team, my alma mater, and the most tradition-rich school in both my hometown city and my state is really quite pathetic. I should hold my head in shame that my school, while better in literally every single endeavor it pursues against said rival (both athletic and academic) minus football, struggles to win college football games because they'd rather recruit players who could actually graduate than seek out mercenaries for hire.

It's unfortunate that the academic arm of my school holds more power than the athletic arm. Moreover, it's even more unfortunate that the "old money" Tech alums refuse to add the majors and the classes required to recruit better players, as they view the additions would devalue their Tech degrees. In fact, virtually all endeavors to expand the liberal arts programs at Georgia Tech (a school of journalism, physical education, communications, etc) seem to somehow always get thwarted at the Board of Regents level (which happens to be the UGA-dominated governing body of higher education in this state). Georgia Tech has one of the highest APR ratings in all of college football. The kids that come to Tech come to graduate. Some are pretty good, and move on to the NFL. The ones that don't... graduate. They get good jobs. They, as fellow graduates, make you proud to have cheered for through thick and thin. I can't speak for everyone, but that makes me proud.

But yeah, what a bunch of pussies. Can't even beat Georgia. Losers.... I should pick a new team to root for. Who's got the new Phil Steele? I'll just go with his #1, and change it up week by week.
    Last edited by James Marques; 08-01-14 at 04:04 PM.
    Points Awarded:

buddha gave James Marques 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Joe_Shabadoo
    Joe_Shabadoo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1184

Watch out, James. You shall be smoted with the CAPS-lock soon enough.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

i wonder if this game will be a sellout...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Game 1 in Knoxville? Absolutely. Wait until they start losing games. This season that starts on 9/13, when they go to OU. After a week off, they go to Georgia. Then home to Florida and Chattanooga. Then a game at Ole Miss, and home to Alabama. The following week they go to South Carolina After that 1-6 run, their wil be plenty of tickets for Kentucky and Missouri.

mintpicks79
    mintpicks79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

Benjamin Lee eckstein aka Ecs and bacon. Has a play on this one. He's a great fade. He's on Utah state as well.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11102

16 new starters on Utah state. ML I
    Is a bad play

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Is that meant to be some childish attempt at a putdown? Wow. A real zinger there too. My admiration for my childhood-favorite college football team, my alma mater, and the most tradition-rich school in both my hometown city and my state is really quite pathetic. I should hold my head in shame that my school, while better in literally every single endeavor it pursues against said rival (both athletic and academic) minus football, struggles to win college football games because they'd rather recruit players who could actually graduate than seek out mercenaries for hire.

It's unfortunate that the academic arm of my school holds more power than the athletic arm. Moreover, it's even more unfortunate that the "old money" Tech alums refuse to add the majors and the classes required to recruit better players, as they view the additions would devalue their Tech degrees. In fact, virtually all endeavors to expand the liberal arts programs at Georgia Tech (a school of journalism, physical education, communications, etc) seem to somehow always get thwarted at the Board of Regents level (which happens to be the UGA-dominated governing body of higher education in this state). Georgia Tech has one of the highest APR ratings in all of college football. The kids that come to Tech come to graduate. Some are pretty good, and move on to the NFL. The ones that don't... graduate. They get good jobs. They, as fellow graduates, make you proud to have cheered for through thick and thin. I can't speak for everyone, but that makes me proud.

But yeah, what a bunch of pussies. Can't even beat Georgia. Losers.... I should pick a new team to root for. Who's got the new Phil Steele? I'll just go with his #1, and change it up week by week.
    Interesting reply, considering that 82% of Georgia Football Players graduate and only 63% of Georgia Tech players graduate. That according to the 2013 graduation rate of schools participating in NCAA Bowl games. I suppose you will blame that on the school curriculum. Care to respond?

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Interesting reply, considering that 82% of Georgia Football Players graduate and only 63% of Georgia Tech players graduate. That according to the 2013 graduation rate of schools participating in NCAA Bowl games. I suppose you will blame that on the school curriculum. Care to respond?
    The self-appointed Forum Oracle has spoken!

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Night-Tripper View Post
    The self-appointed Forum Oracle has spoken!
    And received a response from the Texas Hick who knows nothing about football. Start your own thread or butt out boy. Show us that you learned something more than how to toss tortillas at Texas Tech and smoke. Try it sober sometime. I see that you are still trying to get your degree in Texas Dumb-Arsery.

homie1975

And received a response from the Texas Hick who knows nothing about football. Start your own thread or butt out boy. Show us that you learned something more than how to toss tortillas at Texas Tech and smoke. Try it sober sometime. I see that you are still trying to get your degree in Texas Dumb-Arsery.
    Big Dad why did you get banned by covers? where else did you get banned from? eog? capping the game? anywhere else?

i particularly want to know about the covers ban, because that one is confirmed

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Big Dad why did you get banned by covers? where else did you get banned from? eog? capping the game? anywhere else?

i particularly want to know about the covers ban, because that one is confirmed
    She was also banned from the Rx Pharmacy, so she created another identity, Junk47.
    Last edited by Night-Tripper; 08-02-14 at 01:27 PM.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Not a chance.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thariteonebaby

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The high school players SEC teams recruit can play in any west coast team without experience. It's an advantage for Tennessee having new players cause they don't have tape on them. Game will be a cake walk for Tennessee.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Before you go unloading on Utah State, you may want to know that two WR's, starter Bruce Natson, and back up Ronald Butler may be suspended for that game and others, due to some type of "legal problems". They are officially listed as "Questionable", which normally means that the Utah State legal eagles have not figured out what to do with these two. Remember it is a non-con game and Utah State is in a "have not" Conference, meaning that the best they can do is get a good MWC finish and corresponding Bowl game. There non-con record will not matter.

govolz
    govolz's Avatar Become A Pro!

tenn by 3 td... not even close... tennesee is on the rise and have a long way to go to be back at the top but i gurantee you butch jones aint losing to utah st... i dont even know if dooley could do that....

mewalke11
    mewalke11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by govolz View Post
    tenn by 3 td... not even close... tennesee is on the rise and have a long way to go to be back at the top but i gurantee you butch jones aint losing to utah st... i dont even know if dooley could do that....
    Proud program "on the rise" getting upset at home? Ask Michigan its happened to them a handful of times over the last few years.

And Utah St usually plays well in these games. They took Auburn too the wire a few years ago and same with Wisconsin and USC.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by mewalke11 View Post
    Proud program "on the rise" getting upset at home? Ask Michigan its happened to them a handful of times over the last few years.

And Utah St usually plays well in these games. They took Auburn too the wire a few years ago and same with Wisconsin and USC.
    The dude saying tenn by 3 tds is off base but so are u. Who has mich lost to in a major upset at hm lately? App state beat them in 2007. Last yr mich pulled out the game v akron. And the Utah State teams that almost beat aub and wisky and usc were way more veteran than this and had a coach named Gary Anderson

wufpakman21
    wufpakman21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3649

Sorry but those percentages don't mean jack. Look at UNC Chapel Hill. They've had high graduation rates for years simply because all their athletes clustered into "African American Studies" which is now being investigated by the NCAA because those classes required no work and no attendance. Not saying Georgia has a similar scheme working but any school can create an "easy' degree program to keep athletes eligible and create a high graduation rate. I seriously doubt Georgia is recruiting smarter players than GT.

wufpakman21
    wufpakman21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3649

Tennessee still has a lot to prove before they are considered one of the SEC's powerhouse teams. They're recruiting well and on paper have more talent than Utah State but QB play means a whole lot on game day and Utah State has a "huge" advantage here. Utah State is gonna score points. This will be a close game.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by wufpakman21 View Post
    Tennessee still has a lot to prove before they are considered one of the SEC's powerhouse teams. They're recruiting well and on paper have more talent than Utah State but QB play means a whole lot on game day and Utah State has a "huge" advantage here. Utah State is gonna score points. This will be a close game.
    I absolutely agree with the Tennessee statement. I disagree with the QB statement. Remember, Utah State plays in the MWC, which is known for it's terrible defenses. The fact is that both of these teams lose a lot on offense. Neither one has a proven offensive line. Both defenses are weak on their lines. These two teams are very similar this season. The major difference is that the game is being played at Neyland Stadium and Utah State does not win games on the road against "Power 5" teams. They cover a lot, but they are 0-14 S/U against Power 5 rivals since 2003. They are 9-5 ATS in those games, but they were dogs in every game and dogs of 20 or more in 11 of those games. The current line is Tennessee between 6 and 6 1/2, no matter what people in "Fantasyland" want to tell you. Caviat emptor.

1234 ... Last