FightForCalifornia
    FightForCalifornia's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cal spring game thoughts...

Just got back from the Cal spring game, some thoughts:

-James Montgomery looked sharp, and had a very nice long touchdown run where he ran right up the gut then evaded several defenders and cut to the sideline and dove at the pylon.

-Nate didn't look as sharp as I had hoped, doesn't look like he's improved his arm much in the off season, still babies a lot of his throws and underthrew a few balls and is still very immobile in the pocket. He looks like he's improved his reads though, which will be critical, he was very good at finding open WRs down the list when he got time in the pocket.

-DeSean Jackson had a couple of explosive runs and 2 TD's, looked good

-Lavelle Hawkins had some nice grabs, should be the #2 guy behind DJ

-Boateng looks big, strong and fast but he dropped a couple of balls... I think he's ineligible this year anyway though, so he could develop into a nice player for the future.

-Defese was ahead of the offense, as expected. D-line looked better, I don't know who will start at corner opposite of Syd but they didn't look that great.

-Punting was awful, Andrew Larson is out due to Academics and if he can't make grades, we're screwed.

-Tom Schneider looked sharp as always on FG's and kickoffs, he's got a shot at the LG award this year.

-A couple of monster hits by Follet, but other than that the linebackers didn't look nearly as good as last year... they should be insane once they come together though.

-D line looked to be much improved over last year, aggressive pass rush and clogged up a lot of runs.

-Mike Tepper looked great at right tackle, nice to see him healthy again

-Kevin Riley was out because he broke his finger, Brian Van Meter looked good in the pocket but lacks the arm strength on a lot of throws... showed a lot of athleticism escaping the rush though. Cory Smits looked good too until he threw a late pick, definitely has presence at the line and in the huddle though. Kyle Reed did not impress at all.

-Justin didn't get the ball much, and didn't get much blocking when he did, but he displayed some pretty solid moves.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

fight,

appreciate the cal spring game update...is it on youtube or anywhere else that we can watch it?...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too appreciate this info bud.

I also caught some of the Florida spring game earlier today, it's not going to be easy to replace those 15 starters they lost.

pags11

fight,

what do you know about this stud RB recruit Cal has?...apparently he's still in high school but will be enrolling in school this fall...

FightForCalifornia

Shane Vereen or Jahvid Best? Both are supposedly real fast...

pags11

fight, not sure on that one...just heard that they had at least one truly legit RB coming in...will do some further research...

FightForCalifornia

Well, both Shane Vereen and Jahvid Best are supposed to be pretty good but I haven't seen them yet since they won't be here until Summer... James Montgomery was a redshirt freshman last year and he looks solid and of course Justin will do very well.

gridironguy
    gridironguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great info, here. Thx.

pags11

saw that Lynch went pretty high today in the draft...