daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

BYU to the Big 12?

BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall said his school "would love to be in the Big 12."

"We would love to be in the Big 12," Mendenhall said told the Austin American-Statesman. "I would love to be a member of that conference. I think that would make a lot of sense. In fact, if that was your headline, that would be great." BYU left the Mountain West Conference four years ago and has been an independent since, but it now appears as though their end-game is membership in a BCS conference. The Cougars probably would have been a better fit in the Pac 12, but that conference opted for Utah and Colorado. "Our attendance is high enough. And our winning percentage is high enough," Mendenhall said. "We have the entire Salt Lake City and Utah market as well as a worldwide following because of the church. There’d be a ton to offer the Big 12, because it’s a money-generated world right now. You’re talking about an amazing kind of brand."

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

This would be crazy. Having West Virginia and BYU in the same conference? Good luck.

This conference has gone to sh*t since bigger schools stood up and said they are tired of Texas taking all the money. Until the Big 12 changes how they allocate the moneys the revolving door won't stop.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

The Big 12 is kicking themselves aftering taking in TCU so they're probably going to be very careful the next school they take in. They're finding even TCU's football program isn't exactly up to the standards of the top tier Big 12 teams, and the rest of TCU's sports programs are crap

Microbetter
    Microbetter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13606

This would be a great fit. With the new playoff system, BYU would never have a chance for a National Championship. Their only chance of greatness is with joining a major conference. The Big 12 benefits because BYU has a worldwide audience with their Mormon roots. BYU is to Mormons as Notre Dame is to the Catholics. They have a built in following.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Fukk those 30 year old, magic underwear wearing, fukks.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10957

Quote Originally Posted by hostile takeover View Post
    This would be crazy. Having West Virginia and BYU in the same conference? Good luck.

This conference has gone to sh*t since bigger schools stood up and said they are tired of Texas taking all the money. Until the Big 12 changes how they allocate the moneys the revolving door won't stop.
    west virginia can join from the east coast but byu cannot join from the rockies? byu much much closer to the traditional big 12 schools in oklahoma and texas

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    The Big 12 is kicking themselves aftering taking in TCU so they're probably going to be very careful the next school they take in. They're finding even TCU's football program isn't exactly up to the standards of the top tier Big 12 teams, and the rest of TCU's sports programs are crap
    TCU baseball team is in the Super Regionals this weekend.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    TCU has had a few down years in football but from about 2005 to 2011 they could play within anyone. 12 and 13 have been down years yes

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The problem is that the Big 12 would have to find a 12th team. Since Texas would rather die and burn in hell than allow another team from Texas into the Conference, the pickings would be very slim. Cincinnati is probably the only other viable candidate at this time. BYU's problem is that they are totally screwed in the Bowl Picture. Unles they qualify for one of the 4 playoff spots, they are relegated to the crap Bowls. BYU thought that they would be the next Notre Dame. What they are is the net BYU. Conceited, old fashioned, living with ridiculous old codes, and turned down by every other conference they tried to get into.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    If you believe in Space Jesus......

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

All these conferences are silly

I think BYU would be overmatched

I don't even know who's in anyone's conference anymore they keep changing

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Booze will do that to you.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The problem is that the Big 12 would have to find a 12th team.
    Cincinnati seems like the only choice. They're a link in between WV and the rest of the Big 12. Only other option outside of Texas I can think of is Boise. Keep hearing UCF & USF too...

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Cincinnati seems like the only choice. They're a link in between WV and the rest of the Big 12. Only other option outside of Texas I can think of is Boise. Keep hearing UCF & USF too...
    Boise will recruit enough to compete

BYU not so

homie1975

The problem is that the Big 12 would have to find a 12th team. Since Texas would rather die and burn in hell than allow another team from Texas into the Conference, the pickings would be very slim. Cincinnati is probably the only other viable candidate at this time. BYU's problem is that they are totally screwed in the Bowl Picture. Unles they qualify for one of the 4 playoff spots, they are relegated to the crap Bowls. BYU thought that they would be the next Notre Dame. What they are is the net BYU. Conceited, old fashioned, living with ridiculous old codes, and turned down by every other conference they tried to get into.
    No they dont. The big 10 added penn state twenty years ago and played with 11 teams. The only way they need a 12th team is if they absolutely think they need a conf title gm

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    No they dont. The big 10 added penn state twenty years ago and played with 11 teams. The only way they need a 12th team is if they absolutely think they need a conf title gm
    Here is the problem with that. Part of the Big 12's argument for staying at 10 teams is that they do not need a CC game because they play a round robin schedule. By adding just one team, they would not be able to play a round robin schedule, and still have no CC game. It is a lose, lose situation for the Big 12. Also, when Penn State joined the Big 10, no one had CC games.

homie1975

Here is the problem with that. Part of the Big 12's argument for staying at 10 teams is that they do not need a CC game because they play a round robin schedule. By adding just one team, they would not be able to play a round robin schedule, and still have no CC game. It is a lose, lose situation for the Big 12. Also, when Penn State joined the Big 10, no one had CC games.

good points Big Daddy

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I think that BYU realizes that with the new College Football Playoff system and the alignment of Bowls to Conferences, they are screwed. This season they get to play in the Miami Beach Bowl. After that, it is anyone's guess. One thing is for sure. They will not crash any "Premier" or Tier Two Bowl games. In some ways, they are worse off than teams in the "Group of Five" (AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, and Sun Belt Conferences) because the group of five is guaranteed one representative in one of the "Primier" Bowl games. BYU is odd man out. They face a future of scheduling post season Bowl Games like the Miami Beach Bowl, the Fight Hunger Bowl, the Pointsettia Bowl, and other bowl games that feature at least one slot from a Group of Five Conference. The Armed Forces teams are guaranteed a Bowl if they win 6 or more games. BYU cannot even say that.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Here is an update. The Big 12 wants no part of expansion now. They will wait it out for a year or two and see how things are working out with the new College Championship series. For the next four years, it appears that BYU is stuck with the Miami Beach Bowl, The Pointsettia Bowl, an undetermined Bowl, and the Pointsettia Bowl again. Good work BYU. You got what you paid for.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

BYU beat the hell out of Texas last year.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    BYU beat the hell out of Texas last year.
    So did Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Oregon. Texas was lucky to get past Iowa State (31-30).

mewalke11
    mewalke11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

It would be a good move for Both BYU and the Big 12.....

As a PAC-12 fan I would take BYU over Colorado any day of the week. Colorado is a fine school etc but all the PAC-10 teams has natural in-state rivalries like Utah-BYU. BYU was supposed to come to the PAC but they are not a research university which was a problem and Berkley hates any school who isn't Full Blown Left......almost communist like. When the were holding prelim votes etc a few years back Cal just was going crazy about not letting BYU in. Its absurd.
    Last edited by mewalke11; 06-15-14 at 04:53 AM.

mewalke11

Boise as a football team= good

Boise as a school= not good

That is their problem with joining a better conference

Believe it or not its not just all about football.

mewalke11

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    WOW you stay classy.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by mewalke11 View Post
    It would be a good move for Both BYU and the Big 12.....

As a PAC-12 fan I would take BYU over Colorado any day of the week. Colorado is a fine school etc but all the PAC-10 teams has natural in-state rivalries like Utah-BYU. BYU was supposed to come to the PAC but they are not a research university which was a problem and Berkley hates any school who isn't Full Blown Left......almost communist like. When the were holding prelim votes etc a few years back Cal just was going crazy about not letting BYU in. Its absurd.
    This is true, but Cal would have been outvoted if it were not for all of the other baggage BYU carries, like archaic rules about consentual sex between students and their refusal to play any type of athletic event on Sunday. To the best of my knowledge, none of that has changed. BYU's ONLY hope is that the Big 12 takes them as a "Football Only" team, and that still leaves the need for a 12th team.

mewalke11

This is true, but Cal would have been outvoted if it were not for all of the other baggage BYU carries, like archaic rules about consentual sex between students and their refusal to play any type of athletic event on Sunday. To the best of my knowledge, none of that has changed. BYU's ONLY hope is that the Big 12 takes them as a "Football Only" team, and that still leaves the need for a 12th team.
    Archaic rules? Come on now. You may not agree with the rules but the idea that the PAC wouldn't let byu in because their religious beliefs (waiting till marriage for sex) is absurd....How can the PAC say that with a straight face when Colorado just had a huge rape scandal a few year ago? Whats worse waiting until marriage to have sex or the football team raping half the campus? A slight exaggeration (maybe) but I think you get my point.

But I defiantly think you have a point with the no sunday play..... which works for them in the conference they are in now...with other religious schools pepperdine etc.

The big 12 already has a few religious schools like TCU and Baylor...both private christian colleges. So i think BYU might fit well there. I do think they need to join a conference in the next few years or they are going to get left behind. Notre dame barely pulls it off and they may have the biggest fan base in the country.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by mewalke11 View Post
    Archaic rules? Come on now. You may not agree with the rules but the idea that the PAC wouldn't let byu in because their religious beliefs (waiting till marriage for sex) is absurd....How can the PAC say that with a straight face when Colorado just had a huge rape scandal a few year ago? Whats worse waiting until marriage to have sex or the football team raping half the campus? A slight exaggeration (maybe) but I think you get my point.

But I defiantly think you have a point with the no sunday play..... which works for them in the conference they are in now...with other religious schools pepperdine etc.

The big 12 already has a few religious schools like TCU and Baylor...both private christian colleges. So i think BYU might fit well there. I do think they need to join a conference in the next few years or they are going to get left behind. Notre dame barely pulls it off and they may have the biggest fan base in the country.
    The Pac 12 used the "waiting for sex until marriage" as part of the reason for denying BYU membership. It certainly was not the most important reason, but it just added to all of the other reasons to deny them. I agree that BYU is dead in the water now and will have to "sink or swim" in the next two to three years. The longer it takes them to join a Conference, the worse recruiting is going to be for them. Who wants to play for a school shooting for the Pointsettia Bowl every year?

mewalke11

The Pac 12 used the "waiting for sex until marriage" as part of the reason for denying BYU membership. It certainly was not the most important reason, but it just added to all of the other reasons to deny them. I agree that BYU is dead in the water now and will have to "sink or swim" in the next two to three years. The longer it takes them to join a Conference, the worse recruiting is going to be for them. Who wants to play for a school shooting for the Pointsettia Bowl every year?
    Yea I agree with you that they have a few years to join one of the bigger conferences or they are going to be left out. I guess well see.....conference championship games bring in a ton of cash so Im sure the big 12 will be wanting to get back at it soon.

luckyutah
    luckyutah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

BYU has already agreed to play in the Poinsettia Bowl in 2016 and 2018. This is a joke. Why would anyone want to play for a school with a self-imposed ceiling of the Poinsettia Bowl? Even if they pulled off a miraculous undefeated season, they're still stuck in the Poinsettia Bowl. Ridiculous.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by luckyutah View Post
    BYU has already agreed to play in the Poinsettia Bowl in 2016 and 2018. This is a joke. Why would anyone want to play for a school with a self-imposed ceiling of the Poinsettia Bowl? Even if they pulled off a miraculous undefeated season, they're still stuck in the Poinsettia Bowl. Ridiculous.
    Ther is a contingency clause in case BYU miraculously gets invited to the Playoff. That will never happen, but if BYU can get into a "Big 5" Division, at least they can qualify for a good bowl game, like the Alamo or Russel Athletic Bowl if they can get into the Big 12.

wufpakman21
    wufpakman21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3649

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    If you believe in Space Jesus......

Are you guys 12 years old? What the hell is wrong with you. I know plenty of Mormons and they are some of the kindest, most service oriented people you'd ever want to meet. Besides, this is a football discussion, not a religious discussion. Grow the fukk up.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by wufpakman21 View Post
    Are you guys 12 years old? What the hell is wrong with you. I know plenty of Mormons and they are some of the kindest, most service oriented people you'd ever want to meet. Besides, this is a football discussion, not a religious discussion. Grow the fukk up.
    Obviously you should not be discussing football because you do not have a clue about the game. One of the major reasons why BYU was turned down by the Pac 12 was because of their refusal to play any type of athletic event on a Sunday. That has EVERYTHING to do with their religion. There are other religious beliefs that Mormons have that the vast majority of other Universities do not have. All of this keeps BYU in the shadows and on the background of NCAA Football. The SEC has already said that scheduling BYU will NOT satisfy their newly adopted requirement of having SEC teams play at least one team from the "Premier 5" Conferences.

No one is knocking people who are Mormons. I am sure that the vast majority of Mormons are fine people. The fact is that their religion and BYU's insistance to adhere to those policies will keep them out of any of the Top 5 Conferences and any decent bowl game. Now if you do not understand that, then do not waste our time posting in here. You really are showing your total ignorance about this subject.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

buried

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

Approximately 75% of BYU's players are traditionally Mormon. Growing up in the Mormon church, I can testify to you that's its a big deal to be accepted to BYU. They will always have a pipeline for good players around the country. Also, a lot of their players serve 2 year missions, so they normally have an age advantage over the competition. This won't transfer to national prominence, but they will always be competitive. I'm sure BYU will find a conference, but I guarantee you that they won't compromise their moral standards to do it.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Approximately 75% of BYU's players are traditionally Mormon. Growing up in the Mormon church, I can testify to you that's its a big deal to be accepted to BYU. They will always have a pipeline for good players around the country. Also, a lot of their players serve 2 year missions, so they normally have an age advantage over the competition. This won't transfer to national prominence, but they will always be competitive. I'm sure BYU will find a conference, but I guarantee you that they won't compromise their moral standards to do it.
    Just which conference will accept BYU? Obviously the Pac 12 refused them and it appears that the Big 12-2 is not interested at this time. We can safely rule out the ACC, Big 10+4 and SEC. It is highly unlikely that the MWC will allow them back in to their conference, now that they have 12 teams. So who do we have left? The AAC has teams as far west as TExas, but really does not need BYU. CUSA is also a possibility, but they have 13 teams already. Ditto the MAC. That leaves the Sunbelt, who needs a 12th team. BYU is hung out to dry. At best, they can catch on with a bottom feeder conference. Unless BYU makes drastic changes, they will never be taken by one of the "Primary" Conferences. The best they can hope for is a spot in one of the "Group of 5", and the very remote possibility of going to a New Years Bowl Game. There is no chance of them going to a Tier Two Bowl, such as the Gator, Capital One, Alamo, etc...