CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Phil Steele Preview

$18.99 this year ? wasnt it like 10

used 2 be a must for me now its like 75% rehash of his past issues
    Last edited by CWD; 06-04-14 at 12:10 PM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It was $9.99 last year, and not worth it. Half of his magazine is nothing more than wasted wrods to make it look like he knows what he is talking about. Steele and company are getting desperate. I will be getting my advanced copy today. I think he hiked the counter price to $12.95, in which case I would suggest going elsewhere. That rag is certainly NOT worth a $3.00 raise in price. I believe Lindy's and Athelon's magazines are $7.99 each. That is $5.00 cheaper than Steele.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 06-05-14 at 11:46 AM.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I have my preview editions of Lindy's Athlon's and Steele's Magazines. Athlon is easily the best buy for the price. At $7.99 they are much less expensive than Steele, and they give you the same basic information minus about 1000 useless words. Athlon's magazine plus Mark lawrences Playbook should give you all of the information you need.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Completely disagree Big.

Steele's mag destroys the others.

And you can get it for 9.99 on iTunes.

The depth of stats available in Steele's magazine destroys the superficial write ups in Athlon.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Completely disagree Big.

Steele's mag destroys the others.

And you can get it for 9.99 on iTunes.

The depth of stats available in Steele's magazine destroys the superficial write ups in Athlon.
    Sam, Steele's magazine is full of inaccuracies because it goes to print so early. It has about 1000 words that are totally useless. No one gives a crap about what happened to a team in 2010, and Sgteele always leads off every sectikon of a team by telling us what happened years ago. that is just a way to claim that he has so much more information. He does not. Did you ever wonder why Steele is banned in Las Vegas?

pettifogger
    pettifogger's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is he banned in Vegas ?
    Last edited by pettifogger; 06-12-14 at 05:54 PM. Reason: correction

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

It happened many years ago when he was first starting. He and Northcoast got into major trouble for picking both ends against the middle. He would pick team "A" on one of his phone services and team "B" on the other, hoping to get money from some people. He paid a very large fine to the Feds, and was banned in Vegas. It is still up into the air as to whether or not he served time for this. Some say yes. Some say no. At one time he and his cronnies at Northcoast had 21 different services. He now operates out of Cleveland.

If you buy the rags, notice how many of these alleged "Cappers" now team up. Lawrence has 24 that I know of. Jim Feist use to be the king of the 'Cappers but is so broke now, he cannot go it alone. The last I heard, he is with Lawrence and Don Best. The list goes on and on. i remember years ago I was at the Stardust Sports Book. They held the "Hamdicapper of the Year" Contest. Lawrence was going up agaist "Big Al". His last name escapes me now, but he as doing his thing back in those days. I bet that i could beat the both of them. You picked 6 games and a "Super Game". I ended up 4-3 ith a win in my biog game, and that was good enough to beat those two. 4-3 is nothing, but I beat two so called "Experts". Take these guys with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 06-12-14 at 07:12 PM.

mewalke11
    mewalke11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

The problem as I see it is that all these predictions magazines have these little algorithms to make it look like they have the best predictions every year......Althoiugh the consensus from most is Steele is it not?

I dont buy his magazine because I find more often than not his predictions about the PAC-12 are wrong.

For example in 2013 he picked

Oregon-North

USC-South

Any fan of a pac-12 team could have told you USC was probably not going to win the south.....Most people who covered the conference thought it was going to be a 2 team horse between ASU & UCLA and it was. ASU won the south. Stanford the north and everyone knew Oregon has had real problems with Stanford the last couple years.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I hear you. I buy these rags to study the player personnel and the coaches. Pelini has never won more or less than 9 games at Nebraska. Lawrences Mag is very good for the Technical side of 'Capping. Purdue is 0-7 after playing Ohio State. Remember there are three things that go into good handicapping. Functional, which has to do with the actual players. Situational, which has to do with injuries, other distractions, and to some extent, who is playing who when (Sandwich games, etc.) Technical deals with angles and trends. I look for specific information about each type of 'capping in these mags.