BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Coaches who are (or should be) on the Hot Seat in 2014

Here is a list of Head coaches who should be on the Hot seat in 2014. These are the Head Coaches from the 5 Major Conferences:

Mike London...Virginia. It is hard to understand why this man is still the HC of Virginia. In 4 years he has amassed a record of 18-31. That includes an 8-5 season in 2011. His team is currently on a 10 game losing streak, and went 0-8 in ACC Conference play in 2013. They are 1-15 in ACC play in the past two years. With 7 starters on offense and 9 on defense returning, London must win at least 7 games in 2014 to keep his job. The schedule will not help. Non-con games vs UCLA and at BYU, along with games against Louisville and at Florida State plus the ACC plus the very tough ACC Coastal Division make a must win season very doubtful for London.

Darrell Hazell...Purdue. Season #1 was a unmittigated disaster for Hazell, going 1-11 with a team that returned 5 starters on offense and 8 on defense. Hazell loses 7 players on both sides of the ball this season. In 2014, Purdue hosts Western Michigan,, Central Michigan, and Southern Illinois in non-con games. Even if Purdue wins those games, they are going to have to win a couple of Conference games or Hazell may be in major trouble.

Bo Pelini...Nebraska. For the 6th season in a row, Pelini's Nebraska team lost 4 games. He has never lost more, or less, since becoming the HC of Nebraska. The question is simply this. How much longer are Nebraska fans going to put up with good seasons, but seasons with no championships. A game against Miami at home is the only hurdle in the non-con schedule. Games at Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa will be major challenges for a team that returns 8 on defense, but only 4 on offense.

Brady Hoke...Michigan. Hoke has failed to make Michigan a legitimate Big 10 contender. His 26-13 record is acceptable for some teams, but not Michigan. Last season Hoke's team started out 5-0 and finished 2-6 including a 31-14 rout by Kansas State in their Bowl game. Did this team give up on Hoke? Michigan returns 6 starters on both sides of the ball. The schedule includes the two newcombers to the Big 10, Maryland and Rutgers. It also includes games at Notre Dame, Michigan State, Northwestern and Ohio State. How many years without a Big 10 title will Michgian fans put up with?

Dana Holgorsen...West Virginia. Horgorsen has had plenty of trouble since West viorginia jumped to the Big 12. His two year conference record is 5-13. His offense was hit hard by graduation last year, but loses only two starters this season. The defense loses 5 starters. Opening against Alabama is ccertainly no help, and they also play at Maryland. West Virginia recruiting has been suffering of late. While no one epects a Big 12 championship this season, West Virginia is going to have to win 6 games this season or Holgorsen is inn real trouble.

Will Muschamp...Florida. The natives are getting very restless in Gainesville. Last year's 4-8 record was totally unacceptable. He is 22-16 overall at Florida, and that includes his 11-2 season in 2012. Muschamp's problems have always been on offense. Lack of scoring has been a major issue. Florida will return as many as 8 starters on offense, and 7 on defense. The schedule is not easy, but most tough games are at home. Florida goes to Alabama and Florida State, but gets, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU and Missouri at home. If Florida is NOT competitive this season, Muschamp is in trouble.

Bret Bielema...Arkansas. When will Bielema learn that his brand of football will not work in the SEC? He went 0-8 in SEC play last season. he loses 4 starters on offense and defense, but three of those starters on defense come from the line. The schedule is not much help. A non-con loss at Texas Tech would be disasterous. Bielema is going to have to win some SEC games and the schedule is no help at all.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree that Brady Hoke is on the hot seat. He's got the confidence of the school moving forward, I think. MSU was the only team that beat them soundly, with their other four conference losses all being by 4 points or less. Not great, but not a reason for Michigan to really doubt him.

Bielema was a horrible hire from day 1. He should be gone immediately, but probably will stick for another 2+ years with Arkansas likely preferring patience over the revolving door of HCs.

Muschamp has been severely hampered by lots of graduating players, a general lack of quality in starting QBs, and injuries across the board. Driskel needs to never see another snap for the Gators.

Virginia and Purdue have severe problems with a culture of failure across the program. No enthusiasm at all. Coaching changes would be a positive move, but not really a solution that will pay benefits anytime soon.

Somehow I think Pelini is safe despite the mediocre results.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

The problem with Hoke is that the school is NOT moving forward. His team regressed terribly last season. They started out 5-0 and finished 2-6. They are hopelessly mired in the middle of the Big 10 East, behind Ohio State and Michigan State, both of which have much better head coaches. With a schedule that takes them to Notre Dame, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Ohio State, I do not see anything less than three losses for this team, and three losses is NOT being competitive for Big 10 honors.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Muschamp is on a tight lease. He is supported by one of the best AD's in the country but we all know that will only go so far. Half of Muschamp's wins came in one season. Anything not getting the Gators to a bowl and he is up to his ass in real gators.

Looking at the schedule, he has four guaranteed wins built in. Idaho, Eastern Michigan State, Eastern Kentucky and Kentucky. Talk about SOFT! Florida should be damn good defensively again this season but the Gators need some offense. Probably an understatement.

WorkHorse

regarding Arkansas' Bielema..........

Opening road trip to Auburn will be difficult. After a scrimmage with Nicholls State, then out to Texas Tech. After Northern Illinois comes Texas A&m, Alabama, Georgia, scrimmage with UAB, then at Miss State, home vs LSU, Ole Miss and a road trip to Missouri.

I see another tough year for the former Wisconsin coach....especially in the conference.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I agree. Perhaps the most damaging thing that can happen to Bielema is a loss at Texas Tech. That will hurt both him and the SEC, with the new system in place. T-Tech will be a middle-of-the-road Big 12 -2 team.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 01-29-14 at 12:13 PM.

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Hoke's gone if we finish behind Michigan State again.

We can't be worse than that program.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    Hoke's gone if we finish behind Michigan State again.

We can't be worse than that program.
    If that is the case, start looking for a new HC now. The game is at Michigan State. Michigan is 1-5 in their last 6 games against MSU, and that win was a 12-10 yawner. Then Michigan finally gets a win against Ohio State and proceeds to lose two more in a row, leaving them at 1-9 in their last 10 games against their alleged "arch rival". Hoke is 1-2 against both MSU and OSU and with both of those games on the road in 2014, 1-3 is on the way.

goblue12

Ah, the Big Ten screwed us with back-to-back trips to EL.

See that the giant killers Utah and Appalachian State are back on the schedule and we visit our 3 biggest rivals.

I'll just tune out this year until Hoke gets fired. Should have never fired Rich Rod.

WorkHorse

BigDaddy didn't list him (probably because no one cares) but Charlie Weis who is entering his third season at Kansas needs to get something going with the Jayhawks. Kansas folks are tired of playing second fiddle to rival Kansas State every year.

If Big Charlie is going to make a statement, he better do it this year. Kansas has the most returning starters in the Big 12 with sixteen, including 9 on defense. I have my doubts..............

WorkHorse

BD, not trying to hijack your thread my friend but pretty dead over at the other place.

Another coach (10-26 in three years) who some dismiss is Indiana's Kevin Wilson. One thing I like about Wilson is he is showing improvement each year (1-11, 4-8, 5-7) and has a chance to really surprise some people this season. He has 18 starters returning including 10 on defense and all five offensive lineman are back.

I'm not trying to say Indiana will go to the Rose Bowl but they are one of my early teams to watch against the spread.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I don't think things are right at Georgia Tech. Paul Johnson may be on it...or he may want to be on it. They've only beaten Georgia once in like 12 years. PJ needs to change that to stick around.

I'll throw out a sleeper in Dan Mullen. He's pretty much made chicken salad out of chicken sht at Miss St, but in the coat throat SEC sometimes that's not good enough.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Florida has a stretch of

@ Alabama
    @ Tennessee
    vs. LSU
    vs. Missouri
    Georgia

Then wraps up November vs. South Carolina and @FSU

GL Muschamp

WorkHorse

Dane, one of the most difficult places to win in the SEC is Mississippi State. Dan Mullen is 36-28 heading into his sixth year in Starkville. I don't think Mullen is in trouble mainly because they are selling out every game and now enlarging the stadium. Beating Ole Miss last year also helped.

The Bulldogs have a chance to be pretty good this season with eight starters back on both sides of the ball. Quarterback Dak Prescott is back and he's a damn good player. The schedule is favorable so Mullen better take advantage of all the pluses he has going for him this year. Expectations are high in Bulldog land.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Dane, one of the most difficult places to win in the SEC is Mississippi State. Dan Mullen is 36-28 heading into his sixth year in Starkville. I don't think Mullen is in trouble mainly because they are selling out every game and now enlarging the stadium. Beating Ole Miss last year also helped.

The Bulldogs have a chance to be pretty good this season with eight starters back on both sides of the ball. Quarterback Dak Prescott is back and he's a damn good player. The schedule is favorable so Mullen better take advantage of all the pluses he has going for him this year. Expectations are high in Bulldog land.
    I agree with all that, but there were whispers of Dan Mullen getting canned if he lost to Ole Miss last season. Don't know how much truth there was to that. If there was, you don't just go from "lose this game and get canned" to being off the hot seat. Mississippi State should be glad he hasn't bolted somewhere else yet imo and just be glad he's there.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Work, the reason why I left Fat charlie off the list is because Iansas has been so bad, a three win season is considered a step forward. After this season (another 3 win season), then he will be on the hot seat.

Work, I hear the other place is losing posters hand over fist. It serves them right.

Dane, Paul Johnson does NOT know how to coach unless he has three RB's in the bavkfield at all times. He had one of the greatest WR of all time in Calvin Johnson and did NOTHING with him. Paul Johnson's offense is easy to defend. Just stop option 1 and the other two fold up. Johnson has not lost less than 5 games in the past 4 years. It may be getting old in Atlanta. He has a super spft schedule this season, with three cream puffs for non-con opponents and home games against Miami, Duke and Clemson at home. He gets hit hard on the defense by graduation, so he will still find a way to lose 4 or 5 games.

goblue12

Megatron left long before Paul Johnson arrived on campus.

He did also churn out two, Top-50 picks at WR in Demaryius Thomas and Stephen Hill.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

I stand corrected, but Johnson still does not have the offensive mentality needed to win the ACC Conference.