EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

More Proof of Illogical UT Boosters/Fans

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ie-strong-hire

The parts I bolded I think highlight the lunacy surrounding UT football. I don't think it was a superb hire, but it was solid. The funny thing is these same boosters/fans who thought they could get anyone they wanted, thought UT was still a good program - one of the top two or three according to bumblefart McCombs. If that was true, then why did they accept being a mediocre team under Mack Brown? Fun read.

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Texas coach Charlie Strong dishes on his departure from Louisville, his first priority with his new team, preparing for the media attention that accompanies the Longhorns' job, what makes Teddy Bridgewater special and more.

"So I don't know what the big rush was. I was kind of pleased that [Texas athletic director Steve] Patterson already said that he'd like to get it done in the middle of January. That seemed logical to me. I'm a team player, but I think they went about it wrong and made the selection wrong."

Texas named its McCombs School of Business after the benefactor, and he has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. McCombs has donated more than $100 million to UT and is a close friend to Brown.
    McCombs said he was certain Patterson couldn't go wrong on the hire during an interview with the San Antonio Express-News last week.

"I don't see how they can miss," McCombs told the paper. "They can get anyone they want. They can close their eyes and go 'Eeny-meeny-miny-moe' and end up with someone good."

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

how much do you think this guey would have "chipped in" to sweeten the pot for a coach he approves of?

how many hundred dollar handshakes does this gueye make with players?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68219

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    how much do you think this guey would have "chipped in" to sweeten the pot for a coach he approves of?

how many hundred dollar handshakes does this gueye make with players?
    Not as many as he used too.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

When are you folks going to learn that the Alumni controls the programs at just about every successful College. Where would Oklahoma State be today without the help of T. Boone Pickens? What about Oregon and the President of Nike? Where do yo think the money to give Nick Saban a raise came from? What happened to Miami (FL) when their money eople turned their back on the program? Never underestimate the power of the Alumni.

inTomWeTrust
    inTomWeTrust's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    When are you folks going to learn that the Alumni controls the programs at just about every successful College. Where would Oklahoma State be today without the help of T. Boone Pickens? What about Oregon and the President of Nike? Where do yo think the money to give Nick Saban a raise came from? What happened to Miami (FL) when their money eople turned their back on the program? Never underestimate the power of the Alumni.

Which is another reason why you have no clue about the Washington Huskies... they are going to be a total force to be rekkon with $ pouring in

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it was a bold statement by the new AD Steve Patterson to hire Strong. Essentially, I think he went after his guy which I think is why Strong was the only person who you ever saw confirmation that actually met with Patterson. All the other names were rumors, etc. by the spin doctors and boosters likely. Maybe even some by Patterson to poof up interest.

But from everything I have seen, the top boosters at UT didn't have very much time to bend Patterson's ear. A lot of the big dogs were Mack Brown guys and all of them are also old White Boys. I said it before, this is Patterson's legacy hire. If Strong fails, he'll get buried. If he succeeds - Patterson will be untouchable like Dodds was during most of his tenure.

JerseyRobby
    JerseyRobby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4442

I heard McCombs wanted Bud Kilmer but somebody had to tell him that he's not real.