lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Why are college football coaches getting paid so much?

Yeah I know they deal with kids but so do nfl guys. I can't believe the deal saban got. The guy could NOT cut it at the pro level but he is gonna get over 5 mil to coach children. Pretty sad state of afffairs. Like schools can't spend that money elsewhere.

therocket
    you cant teach passion
    therocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Football programs finance the rest of the athletic departments. Takes money to make money. Duh

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Because they don't have to pay the kids.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Pay coach 6 million a year and generate...

Expenses: $31,580,059, Revenue: $76,801,800, Profit: $45,221,741
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

lakerboy

Pay the players as well then.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Pay the players as well then.
    The players at Alabama that are worth a shit are all paid. If you think they aren't you're mistaken. Also get a 50k education for free.

lakerboy

Listen deuce I just don't think coaches should get paid that much to coach college athletes. I don't follow sports much but how many of sabans players are good nfl players?

WalkingLuckCharm
    WalkingLuckCharm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2947

? Supply and demand. Dumb question.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Listen deuce I just don't think coaches should get paid that much to coach college athletes. I don't follow sports much but how many of sabans players are good nfl players?
    Problem is people put asses in seats and spend money. Donors donate. Ego's thrive off college ball. It is what it is. Nothing will change but the price that keeps going up and up.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

b/c colleges have turned football into a business like dan snyder of the redskins. it's all about the money.... and alabama wants to continue making that money so they kept their coach. right or wrong... it's all a business.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Stupid thread

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I can't believe the deal saban got... over 5 mil to coach children.

Closer to 7+ Million

Somewhere this week Sammy read a breakdown of Saban's salary v. income generated for UA since his hire...

UA is way ahead... Like 25:1... Outstanding investment

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Agreed, this is a stupid thread.

The profit a coach like Saban helps bring to any university he works for would justify this money.

A great coach is a huge asset and no one is better than Saban and the only one that really compares from a COACHING STANDPOINT is Steve Spurrier.

Also, anyone that says "pay the kids" is a Jay Bilas-level of asshole.

These kids get scholarships to go to school and that should be good enough. The really good players are getting paid under the table anyways, and the ones that aren't really good don't have a chance in the NFL so they should be very grateful for that scholarship.

Paying college athletes is about the dumbest shit ever.

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    Agreed, this is a stupid thread.

The profit a coach like Saban helps bring to any university he works for would justify this money.

A great coach is a huge asset and no one is better than Saban and the only one that really compares from a COACHING STANDPOINT is Steve Spurrier.

Also, anyone that says "pay the kids" is a Jay Bilas-level of asshole.

These kids get scholarships to go to school and that should be good enough. The really good players are getting paid under the table anyways, and the ones that aren't really good don't have a chance in the NFL so they should be very grateful for that scholarship.

bubblebuttluv

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Closer to 7+ Million

Somewhere this week Sammy read a breakdown of Saban's salary v. income generated for UA since his hire...

UA is way ahead... Like 25:1... Outstanding investment
    Yep, Saban might make as much as Bill Belichick (who makes 7.5 million http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf4...ill-belichick/) now and I have no problem with that.

I like college sports a whole hell of a lot more than pro sports.

lakerboy

I love americans. They always defend there OWN things. Saban is a bum just like spurrier. Ncaaf has allowed the schools to outgrow the sport. If college players don't get paid neither should coaches. If alabama told saban to go take a hike its not like he could go to the nfl.

Sam Odom

Depends... IMO every kid on scholarship should get 'walking around' $$$ - SAME $$$ FOR EVERY PLAYER be it Utah or Ala (Div I)

The amount each week (52 wks a yr) is negotiable

Sam Odom

I love americans. They always defend there OWN things. Saban is a bum just like spurrier. Ncaaf has allowed the schools to outgrow the sport. If college players don't get paid neither should coaches. If alabama told saban to go take a hike its not like he could go to the nfl.

LB , stop this stupid shitt

You mad bro

He could easily go to the nfl ...you really are dumb

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Colleges in general are a the biggest money making scam in America.

did you know some kids even choose the college they go to b/c they grew up a fan of the Football team.

Crazy thing is a college football team only plays about 7 or 8 home games per year. So basically kids are paying 30,000 tuition a year to a school and setting themselves up for years of debt.

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    He could easily go to the nfl ...you really are dumb
    Yeah I'm dumb. We saw what he did in the nfl.

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Colleges in general are a the biggest money making scam in America.

did you know some kids even choose the college they go to b/c they grew up a fan of the Football team.

Crazy thing is a college football team only plays about 7 or 8 home games per year. So basically kids are paying 30,000 tuition a year to a school and setting themselves up for years of debt.
    They have a right to choose whatever school they want you fukkin idiot

You mad bro

In 2 years he was 15-17

some me sample size I tell you

bubblebuttluv

Obvious troll is ALWAYS OBVIOUS.

Calling Saban a bum is beyond laughable.

Who cares if a college coach doesn't do well in the pro's?

If he is top notch at his chosen profession (being a COLLEGE football coach) that is all that should matter.

And if you aren't going to pay the coaches, who else don't you pay?

The athletic director? The people who work at the stadium? The tutors who the program provides to the players? The professors who help out the players when they are struggling? The professors who teach basket weaving to guys like Jadeveon Clowney?

Are you mad that winning coaches get paid so much? Because when the football program brings as much profit to the schools as they do, the school can dole out as much of that profit that they want, too to the coaches.

Like I said, this obvious troll is ALWAYS obvious.

Go find some more Nazi avatars (if you haven't gone through all the field marshals by now).

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

They have a right to choose whatever school they want you fukkin idiot
    sure they do. And i was answering Lakerboys question about why Saban gets paid so much. If it wasnt for Saban Alabama football would suck and kids wouldnt be paying out of state tuition to go there.

lakerboy

In 2 years he was 15-17

some me sample size I tell you
    Yeah he couldn't fix it though. He left.

You mad bro

Lakerboy is an idiot

You mad bro

Yeah he couldn't fix it though. He left.
    Why fix something that can't be fixed? Miami absolutely sucked .. He wins in college and could win in the nfl

Sam Odom

Interesting... Joe Robbie told Bear Bryant the NFL Miami Job was his... Just write the check for what you want

Coach Bryant declined because he knew college ball is where he was meant to be... Later Bryant said, after Shula had that great run, he didn't think Robbie had any remorse

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

If you wouldn't pay someone $1 to net $7.5+, then yeah, you're dumb.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

making money off someone elses labour and not paying them their dues is the definition of a sweatshop

that goes for both coaches and players

players put people on the stands, players sell merchandise, players bring money in. and they put their health on the line every single day

college sports programs = glorified sweatshops

but as long as there are desperate people you can take advantage off, hey why not, its called the american dream

and yeah i know that some go on to make million in the nfl, but most dont make it to the pros, and then you have these people with no marketable skills and no education, cause when they were at university they were too busy playing football instead of studying, they have all sorts of health issues and cant afford a doctor cause the university did think they deserve to get paid for putting their ass on the line for the program every single day
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 12-14-13 at 09:06 AM.

bubblebuttluv

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    making money off someone elses labour and not paying them their dues is the definition of a sweatshop

that goes for both coaches and players

players put people on the stands, players sell merchandise, players bring money in. and they put their health on the line every single day

college sports programs = glorified sweatshops

but as long as there are desperate people you can take advantage off, hey why not, its called the american dream

and yeah i know that some go on to make million in the nfl, but most dont make it to the pros, and then you have these people with no marketable skills and no education, cause when they were at university they were too busy playing football instead of studying, they have all sorts of health issues and cant afford a doctor cause the university did think they deserve to get paid for putting their ass on the line for the program every single day
    Calling College Sports a glorified sweatshop is hilarious.

Let's talk about the path of a college athlete and more specifically a football player.

First when they are younger they play pop warner and stuff. Then ultimately they play in high school and hope that they play well enough to get recruited for college. Now when they get to college they know, THEY ABSOLUTELY KNOW, that all they should expect to get is scholarship money (assuming they are scholarship players, not a regular student hoping and praying he can walk-on). If they are freak athletes they may get under the table money, but that is only because someone has an angle and that angle is big enough to pay some teenage kid a few bucks. The only thing college football players expect to get is scholarship money and not a damn thing more. Finally the college players hopes they play well enough in college to be able to play in a pro league somewhere.

The only reason Jay Bilas talks about college players getting paid is because he is so fukking bitter that his biggest accomplishments were done in college and he wasn't good enough to make good money in the NBA. He is just a bitter son of a bitch.

You know what these college football players need to do? Unless the player is some sick athlete who will get paid good NFL money (like the player almost knows they will get drafted in the first round), these college players need to stop getting so many communications and physical training degrees.

No one wants to listen to some second string UGA offensive lineman talk about sports on a sports radio station and there will only ever be so many physical training jobs out there.

People need to shut the fukk up about paying amateur athletes. It is never going to happen.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It's important in college
    Good recruiters win

X and O's not as important

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

People need to shut the fukk up about paying amateur athletes. It is never going to happen.
    amateur athletes? what drugs are you taking?

do they work when they are not playing football? no
    do they study when they are not playing football? no

they dont even have time to work or study because football takes up most of their time and energy

they are by definition professional athletes, its theire main job

their games are broadcasted on tv, people buy their merch and people pay ridiculous amounts of money to come see them

they are pros in every sense of the way

only people calling them amature athletes are morons who dont know the definiton of the word, and people that have an interest for people to consider them amature so that they dont have to pay them

only reason why these kids do it for free so that these universities/coorporations can make millions is because they are desperate and hope they can get an nfl contract, and ncaa and colleges make sure the take advantage of the desperation and the dreams of these kids

and now we come to people on this board, only reason why a lay person would object to these men getting paid for doing something so horrible such as playing football is jealousy, you just cant stand it that a 20 year old is worth more money than you, and that makes you a sad person
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: swordsandtequila, and stealthyburrito

Vince Lombardi
    Vince Lombardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19401

You are a penetrating idiot. Saban didn't win big with the Dolphins. Who has in YEARS?? Like many of the best colege coaches, Saban prefers to coach young men who are developing their talent and for the most part play the game for the love of the game - Not just for the money.

I'm a high school coach who chooses to coach high school kids bacause of the rewards and not just the money. I've had many opportunities to coach college ball. Many high school coaches choose to stay where they are. I've got kids in school and prefer not to move all over the country while they are in school and drag them around with me. On the same note, many college coaches choose to stay in college rather than coach a bunch of spoiled, prima donas who make more money than they do and don't think that they need to listen to anybody.

Being in the NFL doesn't make you a better coach or mean that you are one of the better coaches in the country. The NFL isn't coaching heaven. It's just another venue and just like I enjoy watching college football much more than the NFL, many of them choose to coach college ball for the same reasons. Look at some of the coaches in the NFL and never been a high school or college head coach but now they are head coaches in the NFL - Jason Garrett for example, has never been successful really at any level as a head coach but he has one of the "best" jobs in the league but some standards. What has he ever done? He doesn't generate any money for the Cowboys. AND he can't win shit. Dave Campo was Head Coach of the Cowboys too and he was a laughing stock. What did he do to get that job?

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer both came from college ball and won superbowls with the Boys. Don't act like college coaches aren't good enough for the NFL or that if a coach is worth getting paid they would be in the NFL. Many stay out because it's actually better in a good college program than in most NFL teams.

123 Last