bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder expected to retire

he's it's about 3 years too late, if you ask me.

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder expected to retire

November 15, 2005
    MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- Kansas State coach Bill Snyder will retire after this season, according to several newspaper reports.

Snyder took over a downtrodden program in 1989 and orchestrated one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history. After winning the Big 12 championship in 2003, the Wildcats have dropped off recently, going 8-13 the last two years.

Snyder, 66, told his players of his decision Monday night, according to reports in newspapers including The Kansas City Star, The Wichita Eagle, The Salina Journal and The Topeka Capital-Journal. All cited sources that were not named.

He was expected to announce his retirement Tuesday. Messages left with Kansas State sports information officials by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

Snyder went 1-10 in his first season, but his team steadily improved. In 1993, the Wildcats appeared in a bowl game for the second time in school history, defeating Wyoming in the Copper Bowl.

By the late 1990s, with Michael Bishop at quarterback, they were a national championship contender.

Snyder, 135-68-1 at Kansas State, had his team on the brink of playing for a national title in 1998 before Texas A&M upset the previously undefeated Wildcats in the Big 12 championship game. Kansas State then opened 9-0 the following season before being routed at Nebraska in 1999.

The Wildcats made 11 straight bowl appearances before the streak ended last year -- and they won't be eligible this year, either. Kansas State (4-6, 1-6 Big 12) plays its final game of the season Saturday against Missouri.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah, these guys have really dropped off as of late...this guy was a good coach for a long time though...

bigboydan

when El roberson left, K-State's rain was over pags.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Big news here in Kansas, but I still haven't heard the reason why. Just tired of it?

pags11

El Roberson, him and Darren Sproles were legit...

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan
    Big news here in Kansas, but I still haven't heard the reason why. Just tired of it?
    my guess is it's because there football program has really gone down hill in the past few years. plus, sense he's 66 years old.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Steam on K-State tonight, from 1 to 2.5 at some places

bigboydan

there play Mo. so, and Mo. sucks on the road. so, it makes sense

jentude
    jentude's Avatar Become A Pro!

THANK YOU Bill Snyder, You made me a lot of money for about 3 years there! Didn't matter what the spread was they were going to try their best to cover. You will be missed~

bigboydan

Bill Snyder sure did like to run it up, when given the chance.

pags11

yeah, it always seemed like he knew the number, especially at home...

bigboydan

i remember quite a few times he ran up that score delibertely. the only reason i even remember it pags, is because he said so in his post game interviews when he was asked about the national rankings.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan
    Steam on K-State tonight, from 1 to 2.5 at some places
    Dont forget what happened to Wisconsin and Alvarex this weekend....His team couldn't have played any worse. People need to realize that the coach's last game means very little to the books.

pags11

any word on who'll be taking his place?...

bigboydan

i haven't heard any speculation on k-state's next coach yet pags.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I've heard Jim Harbough is a candidate

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

In Oklahoma City here its major headlines.

Most likely Brent Venables, OU def man. He played for Snyder and coached with him alongside stoops during the begginning stages of the Manhattan miracle. Stoops loses a co-ordinator every 2 years. 99-01-03. 05? That has nothing to do with venables but im pretty sure hes the main man.

Snyder offered him the job of d-cord in 98 but he came to ou instead to be ou's co d-cord with mike stoops.

he is young, energetic, should be able to recruit. He himself is from Salina Kansas.
    Being with OU for 7 years now will help him gameplan for UT and OU and every other big 12 team.

This K state job to me is better than the Arizona job Mike took. The Big 12 north is very very weak and they are just a few players from being a north contender. Not too much rebuilding at k state as was the case with mike and mangino in lawrence kansas.