Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

Minnesota @ Indiana - Line Is Way Off

IU grad here and I guarantee Minnesota (veteran O-line) will absolutely own the line of scrimmage....ripping off 5+ a run all day long. Indiana will have to over commit people to the line and they can't cover the pass either. Who knows how the weather will be next Saturday but it can only hurt a finesse passing team like Indiana. They can score on anyone but the Gophers D isn't that bad and Indy will be lucky to hold the ball for 25 minutes. Last but def not least....Indy is not well coached...D is always out of position (750 yds to Michigan) and stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. There's a very good chance Minnesota wins SU....line should be no more than 3.5 and I've seen every IU game and nearly all of Minnesota's.

rolltideroll0
    rolltideroll0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Yeah I dont understand the line either. Anyone have a case to make for Indiana?

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

I feel like Indiana rolls here due to the fact the line is so high....everyone gonna jump on Minny IMO

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    I feel like Indiana rolls here due to the fact the line is so high....everyone gonna jump on Minny IMO
    I feel you are correct as well, but Minnesota has surprised me the past two weeks, so I am not going to touch it.

Fred The Hammer

Showers/high of 54 predicted for Bloomington on Saturday. Any kind of bad weather just makes it easier for Minnesota. Minny ran for a ton vs Nebraska and the Huskers have much better athletes than IU on defense. Hell...pick a random junior college and they have better athletes on D than Indiana. You'd think Indy would come off their bye ready to roll but thats what I thought about Nebraska last Sat. too.

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Showers/high of 54 predicted for Bloomington on Saturday. Any kind of bad weather just makes it easier for Minnesota. Minny ran for a ton vs Nebraska and the Huskers have much better athletes than IU on defense. Hell...pick a random junior college and they have better athletes on D than Indiana. You'd think Indy would come off their bye ready to roll but thats what I thought about Nebraska last Sat. too.
    Good info with the weather. Will keep an eye on that

JabooFootball
    JabooFootball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Minny ML

Husker36
    Husker36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

I agree the line is too high. I have these 2 teams as even.

curtrambus
    curtrambus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4799

Over 66 ship the whip

Eric22174
    Eric22174's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3599

Minnesota coming off a huge win over a team they haven't beaten in 50 years. Who knows what team shows up. The first quarter if they come out flat Indiana may have already hung 14 on them.

Fred The Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Eric22174 View Post
    Minnesota coming off a huge win over a team they haven't beaten in 50 years. Who knows what team shows up. The first quarter if they come out flat Indiana may have already hung 14 on them.
    Indiana went thru the same thing earlier when they beat Penn State for the 1st time. Minnesota just seems like a more veteran team that just grinds it out. From what I've seen a week off is great in the NFL but college teams seem to come out flat. I'd be more scared of Indiana putting together a big run of points in the 2nd half but Minn is just too physical on the O-line and their QBs run the ball too. Nebraska couldn't stop the run between the tackles and then when Minn went to play-action their receivers were completely wide open. If they wouldn't have dropped so many passes they would've put up 50 on Nebraska. Who knows if IU gets 40+ then Minn will have a hard time covering but I see long long drives for Minn....kind of like when Navy beat Indiana earlier as 13-14 pt dogs. Indy rallied but lost 41-35
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Eric22174

funky
    funky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

I think this game is like the Wisconsin -10 against Northwestern, where NW got smashed

Mayonnaise
    Mayonnaise's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 412

i think minn wins this game out right... they have somthing to prove for some reason... and we get 10 points?

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    Indiana went thru the same thing earlier when they beat Penn State for the 1st time. Minnesota just seems like a more veteran team that just grinds it out. From what I've seen a week off is great in the NFL but college teams seem to come out flat. I'd be more scared of Indiana putting together a big run of points in the 2nd half but Minn is just too physical on the O-line and their QBs run the ball too. Nebraska couldn't stop the run between the tackles and then when Minn went to play-action their receivers were completely wide open. If they wouldn't have dropped so many passes they would've put up 50 on Nebraska. Who knows if IU gets 40+ then Minn will have a hard time covering but I see long long drives for Minn....kind of like when Navy beat Indiana earlier as 13-14 pt dogs. Indy rallied but lost 41-35
    I like this assessment and I think Minny hangs in this game. They will grind that run game all day which will shorten the game and keep the Indiana offense on the sidelines. I will say, however, that the Gopher secondary will be exploited. They will go after #31... he's a liability. Should be high scoring if weather permits.

Jakenv21
    Update your status
    Jakenv21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6714

Quote Originally Posted by funky View Post
    I think this game is like the Wisconsin -10 against Northwestern, where NW got smashed

I am thinking this as well. I think Indiana rolls. Line SHOULD be closer to -2 or -3. I like the home team.

Husker36

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenv21 View Post
    I am thinking this as well. I think Indiana rolls. Line SHOULD be closer to -2 or -3. I like the home team.
    I think this game is like Nebraska -11 where Minnesota won outright. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT INDIANA!! Not Wisconsin, Ohio State, or a half way decent team. Indiana got smacked by Michigan, Michigan State, and Mizz. They had ONE good game this year.... against Penn State.

RavensFan2k3

Quote Originally Posted by Husker36 View Post
    I think this game is like Nebraska -11 where Minnesota won outright. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT INDIANA!! Not Wisconsin, Ohio State, or a half way decent team. Indiana got smacked by Michigan, Michigan State, and Mizz. They had ONE good game this year.... against Penn State.
    But can Minny really win 3 in a row as double digit dogs?

Husker36

Comparing this game to the NW Wisc game is crazy. Northwestern had their hearts ripped out by Ohio State and then had to go to Wisc. Minnesota is riding high after beating Nebraska for the first time since 1960 and they are playing inspired football for their head coach who has medical issues and is not on the field.

Husker36

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    But can Minny really win 3 in a row as double digit dogs?
    Maybe. But they should be around in the 4th quarter.

curtrambus
    curtrambus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4799

Minn will rumble on offense. They now run a crappier version of the Badgers offense with jet sweeps and crap because they couldn't figure out for themselves how to be successful. It will work against Indiana who couldn't hold a moderate high school team under 21. Over people

funky
    funky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

I love Indiana, it's a must win for a bowl game for them. Minnesota doesn't need this win.

Mcsmush
    Mcsmush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

The line could go either way you want to. Indiana backers will talk about, big play passing and Minny not being able to hang in the long run with their 121st ranked passing attack. Minny backers will talk about clock control and pounding the rock against the 113th ranked run d. Both are right.

Fred the hammer's opinion seems legit, but this line is has too many arguments for either side. Thinking Navy game could be the best way to look at it even though Navy statistically has a way better Pass D than Minny does...

Short story long this game should sail over 65.5 mark covers has it at. Each teams offense plays to each teams defensive weakness. Think Navy!! to close to call on the ats side but a 35-41 score will win the over set at 65.5 100% of the time.

If this post doesnt make any sense, it's not you its the fact that I'm all jacked up on mountian dew.

Edit: That is a sweet first post! I thought ive posted here before.....Allow me to intorduce myself. My name is Mcsmush, and I am in the same week to week griand as you all. Good luck fellas!

Eric22174
    Eric22174's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3599

1) So your defense is a rotten fish-head sitting on top of a bed of dog poo...what do you do in that situation?

For all the crap I'm giving IU's defense, if IU's offense is lighting up the Gopher secondary, one good stop could very well be all that is needed to create a loss (and possibly a pretty good sized one). If IU's offense proves mortal, then their defense could be the reason the Gophers keep a small but insurmountable lead through the second half.
    2) MEMORIAL STADIUM WAS BUILT ON A PET CEMETERY WHICH SITS ATOP A FORMER MURDER HOUSE WHICH WAS BUILT BY DESECRATING AN INDIAN BURIAL GROUND.

In case you are unaware, the Gophers have had some issues with playing on the road at Indiana in recent years.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

3. Indiana is undefeated @ Home vs. the Gophers this year. Hoosiers win this game by 17-20.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

4. Minnesota cannot put up points with Indiana. Sure their D is respectable but they won't be able to match Indiana on the scoreboard when it's all said and done. Yeah, I mean maybe they go all Tim Jennings and get a bunch of pick 6s but I just don't see it.

jscene
    jscene's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1460

Quote Originally Posted by funky View Post
    I love Indiana, it's a must win for a bowl game for them. Minnesota doesn't need this win.
    Why doesn't Minnesota need this win to still have a shot at winning the conference?

JabooFootball
    JabooFootball's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jscene View Post
    Why doesn't Minnesota need this win to still have a shot at winning the conference?
    Do you watch football? They're 4th in their division.

jscene
    jscene's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1460

Quote Originally Posted by JabooFootball View Post
    Do you watch football? They're 4th in their division.
    Yeah I watch football. I know they are 2 games out of first place in their division with 4 games remaining and that includes a game with the current first place team MSU. Why are they out of it?

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I've got this a field goal game...either way.

I would never give points (two scores) on a team that gives up 530 ypg.

Mcsmush

All in they eye of the ticket holder man......One could also say its hard to go against a team that posts 42.4 points a game and only sits behind Baylor and Oregon in scrimmage plays over 40+ yards.

I got curious and ran some numbers to find out that the with top 10 scoring offenses (Baylor, Oregon, FSU, TAMU, OSU, Fresno,IU,Michigan,Houston) when the O/U is set at 70 or less the over is 43-9.

Houston is the worst of them at 4-3
    IU is 5-1 in that scenario.

Pick a side if you have to, but the over makes a lot of sense here.

WorkHorse

Good info Mac.........

If you had taken your research a step further...you would have found that the top 10 scoring offenses you listed are 44-19-3 against the spread.

Knowing that...I still wouldn't bet Indiana and give 10 points.

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Hey, Michigan State has only given up more than 20 points in any games this year and that team was Indiana, they scored 28. Indy was in that game all the way down to the last two minutes. If they can put up 28 on MSU I'm quite sure they can put up 35 on Minny. This is a good game to stay away from but Indy at home -8.5 is not totally absurd. One thing Indy can do is score. I want no part of this one. GL to all

Mcsmush

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Good info Mac.........

If you had taken your research a step further...you would have found that the top 10 scoring offenses you listed are 44-19-3 against the spread.

Knowing that...I still wouldn't bet Indiana and give 10 points.

Very good point you make kind sir, and I have been on both sides of eating that chalk for sure. Where I agree 100% is that of those top 10 scoring offenses the worst defense as far as points allowed is by far IU ranked at an ugly 112th in the nation giving up an average 37.1 ppg. Thats just putrid. Hence me playing the over. Score and get scored on here!

If a side HAD to be picked, I would have a hard time laying my fun money on Minny. At the same time IU probably wouldn't give me that warm feeling inside either.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: WorkHorse

WorkHorse

Mac....some of my gang think you have some football smarts....they are asking where you are from.

I'm not asking that but would like to know what part of the country. South...North...East...West?

I'm from the south....would be informative to know your area if you don't mind.

Mcsmush

Thanks WH. It is a solid balance of smarts and hair brained decisions over here.

Mid-Atlantic here, I am a Terp through and through.

Looking forward to future communcations my man! Good luck!

12 Last