rolltideroll0
    rolltideroll0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Chased my losses to risk-of-ruin point

This is my first time posting in here. I usually follow the threads but never signed up for an account. Was just hoping to hear from other posters’ experiences with this (big win, followed by modest lost, followed by huge chase attempt à fail). I had a huge win last week in NFL (6-team parlay). Was feeling invincible placing my bets but today started off horribly. First, I had Nebraska -10 on most of my 2-4 team parlays. I also had them on my teaser at -1.5. Needless to say those were busts. Second, a bunch of my straight bets ended up being pushes: Georgia tech -10, san jose st -7, nc st + 32 and Ohio -25. Lastly, I had a huge huge 3-teamer with UCLA +23.5 as the last leg. First half is perfect, game is tied and I am up +23.5 on the spread. I am actually thinking that UCLA might just win outright. And then the second half came and I felt my whole penetrating soul being crushed from my body. UCLA gets shutout. I lose. My last hope of recovering on the day goes. I feel like throwing my laptop but don’t want to incur any further financial losses. I look at all the results and keep seeing that ranked teams covered. I keep saying to myself “why the penetrate did I try to be a sharp this week.” Any other team and I would win. I then look and see Fresno st. still hasn’t started. I can even get -8.5 (it had been at -9.5 at my local book). At this point, I had already had took a bigger than expected loss even if I won my Stanford -4 bet. So I thought about it, and put ALL of my online bankroll on Fresno -8.5. Game is slow. Then late in the game fresno is +14. I felt I would at least get this win and recover most of my losses on the day. Then SDSU pulls a miracle and ties the game only to lose in overtime by a touchdown. Fresno doesn’t cover. I lose. So that is where I am at. My online bankroll completely gone. Cash bankroll down to about 25%. All I have is my outstanding NFL bets that can hopefully get me recovered somewhat. All season I grow my bankroll conservatively and slowly. I take a few shots once and now I am on the brink of busto. Just sick … I cannot believe how stupid I was.

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13998

money mgmt. is so critical also dont chase losses wait another day hang in there kiddo

TexasJayhawk
    TexasJayhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

Been there man. All a learning process. Best thing I can say is research the living hell out of your picks (stats, situation, home/away, injuries, discuss with SBR forum, etc) then use your gut/instinct to make a solid and informed decision.

For example, I did well this weekend but could have done MUCH MUCH better had I listened to my gut and not teased V. Tech down to -6 in 2 of my teasers.
    That V Tech decision was retarded because I ONLY added them so I could have a 4 game teaser and a bigger payout. Now am kicking myself for that stupid decison.

Btw, F*** Logan Thomas.

ChrisInTheMist
    ChrisInTheMist's Avatar Become A Pro!

Has happened to me except it was the opposite I was winning and wanted more and got fukked

wildcorndog
    wildcorndog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Make life easier on your self... Pick a few teasers from my diamonds.

rockmvp1209
    rockmvp1209's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3931

how much did u lose like 200

TiredPro
    TiredPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Put a sign up on your wall..........It's a business. It's about money. It's NOT about action...........look at it every time you consider making a play.

rolltideroll0
    rolltideroll0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Thanks for all the replies. I didn’t pull any miraculous comeback in NFL. Bankroll is down to approximately 30% from where it was the prior week. To be honest, thoughts were racing through my mind of placing ALL my remaining bankroll on a “perfect, absolutely 100% sure” 3-team parlay to “get even” with the books. But after calming down, I realize that the books would LOVE for me to do that. In fact, I suspect a large percentage of books’ revenue come from tilt bets. Nobody gets revenge on books in one swoop. Looking at my situation I am still in good shape and most importantly I am still up considerably from my initial bankroll from the start of the season. It just FEELS like a massive loss since I got lucky with that 6-team parlay and had all that cash in my hand. So my game-plan for the week is to actually reduce my risk and the overall games that I handicap. For college, I am only capping 6 games, absolutely no over/unders, and no inter-week games (although Oregon St. -5 is awfully tempting). Still plenty of weeks left to grow my roll. Best of luck guys.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Quote Originally Posted by TiredPro View Post
    Put a sign up on your wall..........It's a business. It's about money. It's NOT about action...........look at it every time you consider making a play.
    Probably the best advice EVER posted on this whole website.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

This can actually be a glass half full type of situation if you let it/learn from it. Stuff like this happens to most gamblers EARLY in their gambling careers. At least you didn't go completely bust. Next time you have a god awful day and lose your arse off, don't go chasing trying to win it all back. You have experienced what it's like to lose big chasing. You won big, lost big, and learned a valuable lesson. Like an above poster mentioned, money management is the most important thing in this game. You can be the best handicapper in the world and not win anything if you have poor money management.