irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

Wisconsin getting points from Arizona St, whats up with that????????????

I know that the badgers have played two push overs but they are ranked 20 and the Sun Devils are not ranked. I'll have to look into this game a little deeper. Anyone know of any injuries or suspensions? Badgers +5.5 hm?

J_smiff
    J_smiff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16095

Rankings don't mean shit but ASU received the most votes of anyone not ranked, so they're basically #26. They're a solid team, and Big Ten teams historically struggle heading West. I think ASU wins SU, but 5.5 looks a little high so it's a no play for me.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

devil's advocate as 5.5 points does stand out to me a bit too.

but the two power ratings i checked (phil steele and sagarin) both have ASU a point or two better than wisconsin.

both are probably big HFA teams. meaning whatever people think of wisconsin is probably overstated due to HFA. same with ASU BUT ASU is at home this week...

so ASU 1 or 2 points better and 3-4 points HFA = 5-6 point spread........ wisconsin = better program = wisconsin by 2 points neutral minus 4 points HFA = ASU by 2 and great value on the current spread.

seems like any way you splice it ASU should be favourite. unless you are huge wisconsin bull.

biggedge
    biggedge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 362

As for the HFA, it is going to be HOT. Wisc has huge (fat) linemen and ASU runs up-tempo.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by biggedge View Post
    As for the HFA, it is going to be HOT. Wisc has huge (fat) linemen and ASU runs up-tempo.
    isn't ASU a crazy "kids from LA" alcohol fuelled school?...... ooops, maybe it's UA, not ASU. was thinking nicole richie and a kardashian....

anyway, agree on the hot weather........... was shocked to find out awhile back that ASU is the largest campus (most students) in the entire USA.......

biggedge

Yeah, it definitely has that reputation. Routinely voted #1 party school in the nation w/ a lot of Cali kids. Also correct on the enrollment. As a result, they set a record in student tickets sold last week and are sold out for the year (I believe). Fan base is expecting a very special year.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by biggedge View Post
    Yeah, it definitely has that reputation. Routinely voted #1 party school in the nation w/ a lot of Cali kids. Also correct on the enrollment. As a result, they set a record in student tickets sold last week and are sold out for the year (I believe). Fan base is expecting a very special year.
    biggedge, thanks......... it's kinda funny that a state i think of as having tons of old people has the largest university campus in america.... i guess though tons of non-elderly moved there the last 20 years too.

gojetsgomoxies

was it asu or ua that hosted that chargers monday night game because of wildfires, maybe 10 years back? that was a crazy environment.

do UA and ASU routinely sell out?... for some reason, i picture apathy too. see arizona cardinal attendance at times.

biggedge

No worries. There are definitely alot of snowbirds here in the winter, but the area is growing with transplants from all demographics bc of the low COL. As for fans, Sun Devil Stadium used to sell out every game in the 70's during the Kush era. There has been some apathy since then as PHX has since gotten all 4 pro sports. In the last 15 yrs or so there has been a lot of disappointment and apathy has crept in. When the product is good and there is hope, the fans turn out though. This game is not yet a sellout but very close.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

Nothing shocking about this line at all. Like a previous poster stated, rankings mean jack squat. The top 25 isn't assembled by a team of Vegas oddsmakers, and most of the spots in any poll are virtually interchangeable. That being said, I love Arizona St. here. They return an abundance of starters on both sides of the ball including All-American DT Will Sutton. I think ASU's front seven will be up to the challenge of slowing Wisconsin's power running game, and any time you put Wisconsin in a situation where they HAVE to throw as opposed to throwing at their own leisure, they struggle mightily. I also like ASU's spread offense with dual-threat Taylor Kelly at the trigger and they've upgraded at the WR position since last year particularly with JC transfer Jaelen Strong. In fact I'm going to go ahead and make this selection my first Potatohead pick this week. Sun Devils -5.5.........See you at the cash register.

gojetsgomoxies

biggedge, thank you!

frank kush??..... there's a name i haven't heard in awhile. vaguely remember (and now i've googled it) him being with hamilton in canadian football league after ASU. i was correct that his leaving ASU was controversial.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Wisconsinn has not defeated a Pac 12 team outside of Madison in years. It will be in the 90's at gametime, and Wisconsin is NOT used to that kind of heat. I think 5 points is a bit low. ASU has a much better offense than Wisky has.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by irish1 View Post
    I know that the badgers have played two push overs but they are ranked 20 and the Sun Devils are not ranked. I'll have to look into this game a little deeper. Anyone know of any injuries or suspensions? Badgers +5.5 hm?
    You think Vegas sets the line based on where they are ranked in the AP Poll?

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Wisconsinn has not defeated a Pac 12 team outside of Madison in years. It will be in the 90's at gametime, and Wisconsin is NOT used to that kind of heat. I think 5 points is a bit low. ASU has a much better offense than Wisky has.
    Still pretty hot in Wisconsin in August and September. Heat indexes close to 100 this week.

andco1
    andco1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2715

Gary Anderson is awesome at getting his teams ready for
    Big games. Coached Utahs d in the win over Alabama. Took lowly Utah St on the rode in big games and they played way over their heads. He ran the uptempo and he knows how to stop it

curtrambus
    curtrambus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4799

Badgers are definetly coming to play game is a tossup imo. Senior defense haven't even brought out 1/4 of what Aranda is going to throw at ASU. Just be careful boys Badgers come to play in big games.

SilverTongueFox
    SilverTongueFox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5303

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    was it asu or ua that hosted that chargers monday night game because of wildfires, maybe 10 years back? that was a crazy environment.

do UA and ASU routinely sell out?... for some reason, i picture apathy too. see arizona cardinal attendance at times.
    I remember a few years ago when Georgia went out west to play ASU with Stafford, Knowshon, AJ Green. Georgia fans wanted tickets ASU was selling season ticket packages for $99 dollars and Georgia fans scooped them up just for the one game ticket. Couldnt sell out that game it tells me they are not selling out. I will say that ASU might have the best looking girls in the country though. When I was living in Chicago I would go to Joes on Weed Street to watch the ASU games bc of the girls in their alumni club in Chicago. Amazing. lol. No opinion on the game, it's a coin flip.
    Last edited by SilverTongueFox; 09-10-13 at 11:57 AM.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Large amount of points here due to the Big 10's traveling trend. When Big 10 teams travel West for night games, they struggle. Body clock thinks it's a 9PM game. It's almost the NFL version of the West Coast teams traveling East and playing the early game. ASU 8-0 against Big Ten opponents in Tempe dating back to the 90's I thought I heard today on local radio.

That being said, I expected to see ASU -3 max. It will be hot and humid here, but it shouldn't be a dramatic change from the weather the Midwest has been hit with this summer. I will take the o-line/d-line advantages and the better running game with the +5.5. As far as home field advantage, as some posters above mentioned, it's doubtful ASU sells this out. Tons of transplants and lots of midwest/Wisky fans here. Went to a Brewers game and there were plenty of fans there. ASU running commercials and trying to get fans in the stadium, but the kids don't care about that football team, although interest improves with an improving team. Most of the college kids will be drunk on Mill Ave. by halftime. Not a real hardcore student fan base.

irish1
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    You think Vegas sets the line based on where they are ranked in the AP Poll?
    Not at all just thought Wisconsin was supposed to be good but with a new coach and inexperienced QB, and the loss of at least nine players I guess they are not proven. The Sun Devils do have a high potent offense. Wisky and points is always tempting.

irish1
    Update your status

Hey Sam, I opened a draftsking account for BTP but everything is free, just make 5 picks and thats it?

goodlucky30
    goodlucky30's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

I couldn't believe it when I saw Wisconsin was getting points here. I don't see them losing until they play the buckeyes, which will most likely be their only loss of the season. Their defense is talented with yet to give up a point in two games. The game isn't till night anyway so the heat will have also dropped. Play Wisconsin they're the better pick at +5.5.

luckyutah
    luckyutah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2565

Quote Originally Posted by curtrambus View Post
    Badgers are definetly coming to play game is a tossup imo. Senior defense haven't even brought out 1/4 of what Aranda is going to throw at ASU. Just be careful boys Badgers come to play in big games.
    Wisconsin is 0-3 in their last three rose bowls. They played tough opponents, but to say Wisky comes to play in big games is misleading. Also, last time they came west for an early regular season game was a 10-7 loss to Org. State last year. This will be their first road game under a new coaching staff, and while I like Anderson, I like ASU more in year #2 under Graham. They have too many playmakers on the outside. Grice will go off and ASU wins by double digits.

BroncosBettor
    BroncosBettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

This line has caught my eye and I think there is tremendous value on the underdog Badgers. Arizona State has a good team and a good coach but so does Wisconsin. I definitely think a Big 10 team that plays great defense and runs the football so well will be able to cover the 5.5. We don't need Wisconsin to win, just lose by 5 or less. That's a good bet in my opinion.