KornhuskerJ
    KornhuskerJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

New to handicapping, any useful sources

Hey guys! I am new (well sort of) to handicapping this year but going to give it a try! I am sure I will suck but, trying to soak up all the information I can. Anyone know of any good resources that I can look at that may help me develop a winning strategy? Do I need some crazy algorithm & a calculus degree to really end up being a winner at this??? From what I've read there seems to be a lot of different schools of thought. Would love any advice/opinions you all might have.

Thanks & GL all!

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Tough question to answer.

You could ask 20 different guys this question and get 20 different answers.

There are so many different types of bettors--- guys who chase steam, guys who create their own systems, guys who are "feel" bettors,---you have to find out what type of bettor you are.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

welcome... no you don't need anything too complex to do ok. but the more knowledge the easier it is to find value... I would personally start with power ratings (sagarin is the gold standard, but not sure he has 2013 ratings out yet. he may just go off end 2012 ratings). or phil steele has ratings. get to know philsteele.com, the blog (he has 2, make sure you find the right one)

Vegasman702
    Vegasman702's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Go buy Phil Steele's College Football Preview. Focus on one or two conferences to start. Start with what you know the best, with your handle I assume you are a Nebraska fan so maybe you know big 10 or b12 the best.

EzekielMowatt
    EzekielMowatt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Exactly what i was going to say pick a conference, and go nuts start digging.

SuperHappyTime
    SuperHappyTime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by KornhuskerJ View Post
    Hey guys! I am new (well sort of) to handicapping this year but going to give it a try! I am sure I will suck but, trying to soak up all the information I can. Anyone know of any good resources that I can look at that may help me develop a winning strategy? Do I need some crazy algorithm & a calculus degree to really end up being a winner at this??? From what I've read there seems to be a lot of different schools of thought. Would love any advice/opinions you all might have.

Thanks & GL all!
    There is no such thing as a "perfect winning formula". The reality is that some underdogs have phenomenal games and pull off a huge upset, or a favorite completely shits the bed, or sometimes the referee places the ball an inch short and a team doesn't make a game/bet winning touchdown.

Here are the best pieces of advice I can give:
    1. Betting is a recreational hobby, not a way of life.
    2. Never place your entire betting allowance on a single game.
    3. Good luck and Bad luck happen, accept it.
    4. If you ever get ahead, cash your initial investment out and play for free.
    5. Learn your hobby and reread Rules #1-3.
    6. Labby Lines and Chases are only strategies for eventually winning, so they require more on time and money than on luck, so don't break Rule #1.

Good Luck to you!

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

I agree with the advice on a conference.... and up to you as to how major the conference. major conference = more interesting, more info etc.. minor conference = more opportunity generally. and basing it on your USA region will make it a lot easier too. ............. fire me a private message if you have more specific questions

Vegasman702
    Vegasman702's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

I disagree with number one. This is true for some but not all.

Here are the best pieces of advice I can give:
    1. Betting is a recreational hobby, not a way of life.
    2. Never place your entire betting allowance on a single game.
    3. Good luck and Bad luck happen, accept it.
    4. If you ever get ahead, cash your initial investment out and play for free.
    5. Learn your hobby and reread Rules #1-3.
    6. Labby Lines and Chases are only strategies for eventually winning, so they require more on time and money than on luck, so don't break Rule #1.

Good Luck to you![/QUOTE]

KornhuskerJ
    KornhuskerJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Wow! Thank you all for the information. Overwhelmed with all the willingness to give advice to some newb that probably has no clue on what to do. I REALLY appreciate it! I will definitely not be betting large sums of money. I am going to start with 2% of my bank roll each game and won't be betting 20 games a week... or even 10. I want to do this as a hobby and build a bankroll overtime. I know its definitely not a get rich quick gig.

Going to focus on Big 10 and I think the MAC for my two conference this season. Any thoughts on that??? I know the Big 10 and I chose the MAC since its not a big conference so I assume there is a little more value. Would be open to another of the "smaller" conferences that you all think has better value in lines to replace the MAC.

Thanks again!!!!!

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasman702 View Post
    Go buy Phil Steele's College Football Preview. Focus on one or two conferences to start. Start with what you know the best, with your handle I assume you are a Nebraska fan so maybe you know big 10 or b12 the best.
    I usually buy Powersweep from Phil Steele....if they're still putting it out there? I haven't got it in a few years. They'll usually send you 2-3 free ones or give you the code to look at it online for free for a few weeks (Northcoast sports). His picks aren't always good but it gives you key info....kind of like buying a racing form when you go to the horsetrack.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Quote Originally Posted by KornhuskerJ View Post
    Wow! Thank you all for the information. Overwhelmed with all the willingness to give advice to some newb that probably has no clue on what to do. I REALLY appreciate it! I will definitely not be betting large sums of money. I am going to start with 2% of my bank roll each game and won't be betting 20 games a week... or even 10. I want to do this as a hobby and build a bankroll overtime. I know its definitely not a get rich quick gig.

Going to focus on Big 10 and I think the MAC for my two conference this season. Any thoughts on that??? I know the Big 10 and I chose the MAC since its not a big conference so I assume there is a little more value. Would be open to another of the "smaller" conferences that you all think has better value in lines to replace the MAC.

Thanks again!!!!!
    Sounds like you're not a rookie....very smart to key in on the conferences you know. I'm an Indiana grad and we had 14 straight overs from mid 2011-mid 2012 season. Big 12 has even worse defenses and more passing than the B10....lot of overs. My buddy cleaned up on the MAC Overs but too many midweek games for me...I have to make time for the rest of my life sometime.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

killer sports and winning points are good newsletters, study line history and keep records