alabasterf
    alabasterf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 635

How bad is Purdue?

Purdue looks pretty poor this year on paper. They often play conference foes pretty close,though ( ly in Columbus ). Week one looks like a blowout to me at cinci. I'm thinking cinci covers -13. Would appreciate some feedback.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

a service i really like has them #114 for forecasted performance vs. last year... and doing this from memory but last wasn't so good.

nickeydyme
    nickeydyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 420

They might be worst in big ten this year.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

I totally disagree, and I feel they will be very similar to last years team, not great but very competitive. They have a good coach coming in Darrell Hazell who did a remarkable job at Kent State. On offense they have an excellent running back coming back who is going to be the key figure in the offense, and a senior quarterback who is not the greatest but is a steadying force. They also have a freshman quarterback who is going to be getting some snaps who is suppose to be quite impressive in throwing the ball, which will make there ground attack even more effective.

On defense they return 8 starters, among them a strong core of linebackers. They return there entire secondary which was a weak spot for them last year, but they did gain a years experience. They also have a couple of incoming freshman who could strengthen the backfield play from a year ago. The problem with the defense this coming year, as it was last year, is that they have to find a way to get to the quarterback, or they will be facing another year where the backfield will be torched.

With all this being said, they do have a very difficult schedule.
    Last edited by Urbanwildlife; 07-27-13 at 07:57 PM.

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanwildlife View Post
    I totally disagree, and I feel they will be very similar to last years team, not great but very competitive. They have a good coach coming in Darrell Hazell who did a remarkable job at Kent State. On offense they have an excellent running back coming back who is going to be the key figure in the offense, and a senior quarterback who is not the greatest but is a steadying force. They also have a freshman quarterback who is going to be getting some snaps who is suppose to be quite impressive.

On defense they return 8 starters, among them a strong core of linebackers. They return there entire secondary which was a weak spot for them last year, but they did gain a years experience. They also have a couple of incoming freshman who could strengthen the back field play from a year ago. The problem with the defense this coming year, as it was last year, is that they have to find a way to get to the quarterback, or they will be facing another year where the backfield will be torched.

With all this being said, they do have a very difficult schedule.

nickeydyme

An excellent rb? The guy rushed for 350 ly as the backup. He might be decent in new coach system but he is unproven as "the guy". Also, henry the senior qb hasn't started since 2010 and then it was only 7 games. Their top returning receiver didn't have 500 yds ly. Only positive on offense is 3 lineman back but they are gonna be even more ugly to watch this year than last on offense.

They do return 5/6 top tacklers, so that is good. Decent secondary with 3/4 back.

Looking at their schedule I see only 3 for sure wins (Indy st, Iowa, Illinois), home against niu is toss up and at Indiana is toss up but most likely loss.

I'll say 4-8 on season and 2-6 conference.

Urbanwildlife

The Purdue running back is a very talented back who when provided the opportunity showed great speed and running ability, and also showed great ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Despite the fact of not getting a lot of playing time, he did make the best of his opportunities, gained valuable experience, and if he stays healthy, WILL HAVE a great season, and his ability should not be overlooked when handicapping Purdue.

I suggest you nickeydyme, wager on every team that is playing Purdue this year, I am sure you will be making many strolls to the pay window!
    Last edited by Urbanwildlife; 07-27-13 at 09:08 PM.

nickeydyme

No need to be defensive, I could care less about this team but I've been studying this season since March so thought I'd chime in.

My point is hunt may or may not become good but going into season its a fair assessment to say he is unproven as the every down back. Just cause Kent st had great running game ly does not translate that Purdue will have the same this year. Their offense is a bunch of unproven players.

Urbanwildlife

Quote Originally Posted by nickeydyme View Post
    My point is hunt may or may not become good but going into season its a fair assessment to say he is unproven as the every down back. Just cause Kent st had great running game ly does not translate that Purdue will have the same this year. Their offense is a bunch of unproven players.
    and your post is correct, and I also pointed out the talent they have returning, and why I felt they will not finish last in the Big Ten.

nickeydyme

Ok, fair enough, you are right...Iowa/ Illinois will be equally bad if not worse

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the truth on Purdue lies somewhere in the middle. Probably closer to Urban's analysis.

Urbanwildlife

Quote Originally Posted by nickeydyme View Post
    Ok, fair enough, you are right...Iowa/ Illinois will be equally bad if not worse
    I am surprised you do not have Minnesota in this group, however as I posted the other day, I think Minnesota is going to be a serious team to look at as a dog, as I feel they are going to be very competitive this year with this being Head Coach Jerry Kills third year, which he has always been very successful in in the past, and the fact Minnesota has many returning starters, and some very good recruits coming in.

nickeydyme

I think Minnesota is slightly ahead of those three based on their schedule alone, they are the most likely to get to a bowl this year. They should start 5-0.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Purdue has maor problems this season. The return only 5 starters on offense, and must find a new QB. Rob Henry has the inside track, and he spent time as a RB and WR. RB hunt is talented, but very small at 5'9, 185. Who knows about their WR's and the offensive line. The defense was going to have to lead this team, but they took a serious hit when they lost starting DT Taylor. I can't see this team winning more than 4 games this season. They can finish ahead of Illinois in the "Leaders" Division, but that's about it.