teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Explain to me how Dan Hawkins went from the king at Boise to coaching in the cfl

Seriously ok I get it his team was terrible at Colorado but damn cfl really...also surprised to see Noel Devine poor guy to bad he's a smurf and fumbles he has skills. I'm guessing Hawkins is getting paid well for this.

teaserpleaser

Johnathan Compton is in the cfl wtf dude you started at a major cfb program in the sec

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

The next Barry Sanders can't even cut it in the NFL.

Has he even scored 1 TD yet?

teaserpleaser

Almost he broke a long kick return got caught from behind and fumbled....Fukked up huh, getting caught from behind in the cfl

teaserpleaser

Devine just fumbled again hold on to the damn ball....he must have lil baby hands or something I lost count how many times I've seen him fumble since college

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Seriously ok I get it his team was terrible at Colorado but damn cfl really...
    Read The Peter Principle by Lawrence Peters. In short, The Peter Principle "is a proposition that states that the members of an organization where promotion is based on achievement, success and merit will eventually be promoted beyond their level of ability. The principle is commonly phrased, "Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence."

Hawkins was out his league at Colorado. Big 12 schedule and recruiting versus mickey mouse schedules he had at Boise State. He is just one of many examples of the Peter Principle.

The coaching profession is replete with examples (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA BB, NCAA FB).

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Great point about the Peter Principle.

Some coaches that come to mind...

Tyrone Willingham. Was average at Stanford, and then laid waste to Notre Dame and Washington.

On the other side of the fence...

How about Larry Coker? From Miami to.....UTSA.

Terry Bowden had an undefeated season at Auburn and is now at Akron.

And-- How about Frank Solich. Did more than Pelini has done, yet Solich gets booted, and is anchored at Ohio.

Oh, and let's not forget Dennis Franchione. Took big money from Alabama, left for A&M, and is now at a Sun Belt program.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

former offense coordinator at LSU and Oregon is the OC for Winnipeg, whose offense has been completely inept since he got there......... no all his fault.

hawkins was awful at colorado... sort of surprised to see him in montreal. and bad hire by montreal. i see calvillo (sac state QB who may begreatest CFL player ever with a ton of frustration this season)

good point on solich. thought he and also callaghan when he was there did a good job...

also dennis erickson. thought he's done a good job everywhere (could be wrong) and seems like he goes lower with jobs in time. maybe he doesn't want to main man in highly stressful program anymore.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Seriously ok I get it his team was terrible at Colorado but damn cfl really...also surprised to see Noel Devine poor guy to bad he's a smurf and fumbles he has skills. I'm guessing Hawkins is getting paid well for this.

Heres the anwser... Jim Popp and Hawkins are buddies, Popp gave him a shot.

Isaiah

Two of the three firings you list had more to do with internal politics than competency.

Solich's firing was ridiculous, the result of an idiot AD named Steve Pederson who almost destroyed Nebraska's football program through his incompetency.

Bowden was fired because of one very influential alumni who he clashed with. Can't recall the guy's name but he gave millions to the Auburn football program and that gives one LOTS of influence. Additionally, Bowden was screwing around with female staff members in the athletic department and that doesn't play well in the Bible belt.

Coker's firing I never understood and always believed he got royally mistreated. The guy actually won the national championship and but for the refs (Ohio St.). would have won a second. Ultimately the bench clearing brawl incident did him in. Apparently that provided the excuse to get rid of him after the luster had worn off. Unfair to be sure.

Monte Kiffin comes to mind as an great example of the PP. Great defensive coordinator for years at Nebraska. Hired as Head Coach of NC State and was a disaster.

Turner Gill, Buffalo University success. Disaster at Kansas.

Rex Ryan: great coordinator, lousy HC of Jets.

Wade Phillips: great coordinator: lousy HC of Cowboys.

I am certain there are literally hundreds more examples if one researched all sports. A very interesting phenomenon.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 07-25-13 at 09:28 PM.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Because he kicks field goals from the 1 yard line up 2 with one minute left against a team that has no timeouts remaining

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

this is one of my favorites!!!

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Because he kicks field goals from the 1 yard line up 2 with one minute left against a team that has no timeouts remaining
    Yeah he's adjusting lol guy was about to get his walking papers

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Turner Gill, Buffalo University success. Disaster at Kansas.
    Turner Gill is an unbelievably good example. one of the greatest CFB success stories of all-time at buffalo. pretty close to historically bad on the other end at kansas... one little note is that Gill's marquee players (wiley, starks, roosevelt) were recruited by the prior coach.

gojetsgomoxies

Yeah he's adjusting lol guy was about to get his walking papers
    CFL the clock stops constantly near the end of games. 1 minute is like 3 minutes in the NFL

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    Turner Gill is an unbelievably good example. one of the greatest CFB success stories of all-time at buffalo. pretty close to historically bad on the other end at kansas... one little note is that Gill's marquee players (wiley, starks, roosevelt) were recruited by the prior coach.
    Saban couldn't have more than six wins at Kansas bring back bear Bryant there's this thing called talent. One thing to win in he Mac most of the Mac have similar no star players. Nobody was going to win at Kansas with the talent that was on hand.

Isaiah

One thing to win in he Mac most of the Mac have similar no star players. Nobody was going to win at Kansas with the talent that was on hand.
    That's the point of the PP. Gill won in the MAC where as you correctly note mediocrity/parity reigns. His success there was fool's gold which Kansas found out the hard way.

As for talent, recruiting is an integral part of being a successful head coach. Gill's recruiting skills were considered excellent by MAC standards but not the BIG 12's. His lack of recruiting skills were exposed only when competing against other BIG 12 recruiters. Further proof that he had risen to his level of incompetence.

By the by, shed no tears for Mr. Gill. Kansas is still honoring his $10 million dollar contract. We should all be so lucky.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 07-26-13 at 01:09 AM.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Guy has looked awful as a coach so far in the CFL. Doesn't help his QB is past his prime and needs to retire.

gojetsgomoxies

even though i'm a huge turner gill fan, didn't kansas have impressive teams by the end with mangino? i think there was someone between mangino and gill, but can't remember

so the cupboard was bare by the time gill got to kansas.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Are you kidding me? Gill had a grand total of ONE winning season at Buffalo. His record was 20-30 at Buffalo. That is "one of the greatest CFB success stories of all-time"? Where do you dream this stuff up?

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Are you kidding me? Gill had a grand total of ONE winning season at Buffalo. His record was 20-30 at Buffalo. That is "one of the greatest CFB success stories of all-time"? Where do you dream this stuff up?
    did you notice the record before he got there? they had been the worst CFB team by far the previous 5 years.

10 wins in 7 prior seasons, the most was 2 wins....

gojetsgomoxies

one thing to keep in mind on hawkins is that almost all head coaching hires did very well at their previous stop.

once you've had a complete disaster on your hands, i think you have to go way down in either program or duties. perhaps way way down in program.

how many years was boise good for hawkins? he was obviously the originator of them getting better but i think it's easy to give him too much credit for peterson years.

gojetsgomoxies

and now just like that, he's gone...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/01...ter-five-games

The Montreal Alouettes, stumbling out of the gate in the post-Marc Trestman era, fired head coach Dan Hawkins on Thursday morning, replacing him with general manager Jim Popp.

i think it was a bad idea to start with..... hawkins, i think, would have been much better suited for lowly FBS or lower division school. good name recognition, and did bang up job at obscure school before.......... hopefully he can go back to this.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Dude look lost on sideline plus the control the clock running game don't bode well in cfl

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Dude look lost on sideline plus the control the clock running game don't bode well in cfl
    was that what he was doing? nfl has gone passing over running, and it has an extra down.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

was that what he was doing? nfl has gone passing over running, and it has an extra down.
    Yes…instead of tweaking ex coach Marc tressman playbook they was running some hybrid ball control offense

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Hawkins owes his success at Boise State to the outstanding group of assistant coaches he surrounded himself with.

teaserpleaser

Hawkins fired from cfl yikes

teaserpleaser

guy should try to be an assistant or prove he can xo in the MAC seriously I remember when schools were dying to have this guy. Whats next arena league HC job your local JC fukk man