Fredvic247
    Fredvic247's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

Texas State @ Southern Miss Week 1

Any early thoughts on this game? I see the line at So Miss -9. Should So Miss be laying 9 to anyone?

Thoughts......

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Good question Fred and to be honest, I don't have a clue. Ellis Johnson took a pretty good program and totally bottomed it (0-12) his first and only year at Southern Miss. Johnson now Auburn DC at $700,000 plus per season.

Texas State has ole Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione as head man. Fran brought in eleven junior college transfers and signed a pretty good class of high school recruits. I believe they had a big win against Houston last year but Houston wasn't all that great.

Someone with more knowledge than me will need to help us on this one.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas State has seven starters back on each side of the ball and there special teams are outstanding. On offense they are very deep and strong at running back and they have quality receivers. The quarterback still has to prove himself. The problem with Texas State lies in the defense, however they have two transfers coming in that are very good, a lineman I believe from TCU and a linebacker from Colorado State. They also will be getting back a safety who missed all of last year, but different publications claim he is an outstanding talent, so obviously the defense should be upgraded from a year ago.

On the other hand Southern Miss has a new head coach, which is there 3rd in 3 seasons, and they are just a very bad untalented team. When doing my due diligence on them, I could not find a positive thing, which is really sad when you think about how good they were only a couple of years ago. If they win 3 games this year I think they will be lucky. I put them in the category of New Mexico State.