alabasterf
    alabasterf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 635

Auburn

Does anyone else think Auburn will improve vastly this season? I realize that they play in the rugged SEC West, but I gotta think Gus Mahlzahn will have that offense running fairly efficiently and on paper their defense looks pretty good. I'm thinking WSU is overmatched. I like Auburn to cover 13 at home week 1.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Auburn is one of those teams that often confounds the "experts". When they are projected to be great they aren't and when not much is expected from them they exceed expectations.

I believe they are going to be better than most think this year. Will be looking to play on them when getting points. And yes, I can see them covering 13 in their home opener versus a Washington St. team that has offensive line woes. The cougars allowed the most sacks in the nation (57) last season. Opening on the road against a solid Auburn defense? Ouch.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: WorkHorse

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

The key to any success this season for the Tigers is finding a quarterback to run Malzahn's offense. Gus has a record of getting good QB play and I'm guessing he'll find someone suitable this season also.

Kaplan
    Kaplan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 865

If I can get Auburn (-5) or less week one, I will be on that.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Nick Marshall will start for Auburn and they'll go 8-4.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Yeah Dane, you got to think since Malzahn didn't name a starter after spring ball for others to shoot at that he's hoping either JUCO Marshall or highly touted freshman Jeremy Johnson can step forward.

The Johnson kid (6-5, 220) is big and has a cannon for an arm (bigtime arm). Maybe a little raw but he had a great high school career. Gus has been recruiting him since the tenth grade for Auburn. Not sure why they didn't get him in early to go through spring practice. Malzahn recruited Marshall for Arkansas State and then brought him with his move to Auburn.

Just seems Malzahn wasn't totally sold on Fraizer or Wallace after the spring. We shall see my friend.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Marshall went to Georgia but got kicked off the team. Probably for the better as Richt had him at corner back.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Auburn is one of those teams that often confounds the "experts". When they are projected to be great they aren't and when not much is expected from them they exceed expectations.

I believe they are going to be better than most think this year. Will be looking to play on them when getting points. And yes, I can see them covering 13 in their home opener versus a Washington St. team that has offensive line woes. The cougars allowed the most sacks in the nation (57) last season. Opening on the road against a solid Auburn defense? Ouch.
    i'm no expert but i couldn't agree more. when they are hot, they invariably run cold. and when i've pretty much forgotten about them they come back......

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I think they'll be a tough team but may not get the wins you'd like to see, simply because of the brutal schedule

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I grabbed Auburn -12 as a GOY. I see them winning all of their non-con games. If they can defeat Miss. State at home and either Arkansas or Tennessee on the road (back to back), I see them in a minor Bowl Game.

alabasterf
    alabasterf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 635

I got them at -13...good luck all

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    I grabbed Auburn -12 as a GOY. I see them winning all of their non-con games. If they can defeat Miss. State at home and either Arkansas or Tennessee on the road (back to back), I see them in a minor Bowl Game.
    GOY?

Agree Malzahn is a great offensive mind and they will need it as their offense last year was just pitiful. I would NOT expect frazier to start. He was just terrible. If they don't have anybody better than that then they are in trouble again this year. But someone said it, Malzahn has a way of getting quarterbacks to play for him.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i looked at past seasons and auburn is pretty up and down as one poster pointed out. not completely predictable cycles in terms of time but gap between high and low must be as high as any program and they've round tripped at least twice. in last 10 years