daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Who will win a College Football National Title first?

Which one of these football powers will win a title first?

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

Teams who have won a Championship since those have...

Georgia Tech
    Colorado
    Washington
    Auburn
    Tennessee
    Penn State
    Last edited by daneblazer; 07-18-13 at 07:58 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Georgia in 1st list

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

I'd say Oregon. SEC teams historically beat each other up. Harder to come out undefeated or with 1 loss.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

Georgia Tech
    Colorado
    Washington
    Auburn
    Tennessee
    Penn State

I know ND won in 1988. Penn State did not win it in 1994, Nebraska did.

Penn State's last AP title was 1986 when they beat Miami, Fl in the Fiesta Bowl.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Penn State claims a few in '94...at least they're listed in the history books. They aren't THE national champion, so I guess it's how you interpret it.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

Georgia Tech
    Colorado
    Washington
    Auburn
    Tennessee
    Penn State
    Clemson is in the weaker conference. I would say Oregon, but they may miss their coach. Clemson is my vote.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

South Carolina this season

But honestly it's a tough one......SCAR/Georgia winner each season has a decent shot for the next few seasons if they can upset Bama (or other SEC West winner) in the SEC Title game

I like Texas A&M for the future under Sumlin, great head coach and program leader but the SEC West is a fukkin gauntlet and will always have to deal with Bama

Oregon I guess always in the mix and should be Pac 12 favorites for a little while but can't see them trending up for the foreseeable future with the loss of Chip Kelly....

Clemson, no because they play SCAR, Georgia, and Florida State every season for the next few years and Dabo gets worked by top notch programs.....

Notre Dame....Had their shot, can't see them as a perennial top 5 team and gotta figure that pathetic performance against Bama will hurt them with polls in the future if it comes down to them or another team to get in

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

UGA with Clemson and S Car behind

The other programs will be in a gradual slide in coming years. These top three are solid programs and just need some luck in one or two key games to vault them.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    UGA with Clemson and S Car behind

The other programs will be in a gradual slide in coming years. These top three are solid programs and just need some luck in one or two key games to vault them.
    Not singling you out but why do people constantly pick UGA over SC? SC has won 3 straight over them.....SC also has 1 SEC East loss in 3 seasons.....The difference in why Georgia has played in Atlanta the past 2 years is schedule

This season, the schedule slightly favors SCAR with regards to cross division games finally (Although they play at UGA so we'll see)

The truth is they are about even as programs overall (Georgia gets better recruits but SCAR coaching and development is better) , it just bothers me a little that SCAR is seen as inferior throughout the national media and by fans....Head to head results say otherwise
    Last edited by MoneyLineDawg; 07-19-13 at 12:03 AM.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

I'd say A&M with Manziel. How can you not from the way he performed last year against bama, and just obliterated the Sooners in that bowl game.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    I'd say A&M with Manziel. How can you not from the way he performed last year against bama, and just obliterated the Sooners in that bowl game.
    Well I think he meant next team to win a title first in general for years to come, not just this season......Manziel is gone next year and I feel like Georgia, SCAR, and probably Oregon are ahead of them overall as a program but I like the way Texas A&M is headed as well

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Georgia always struggles with defense. S. Carolina always struggles with offense. Oregon struggles with defense...and when they play an SEC team, struggles with offense too.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Georgia always struggles with defense. S. Carolina always struggles with offense. Oregon struggles with defense...and when they play an SEC team, struggles with offense too.
    South Carolina and Georgia are becoming more rounded teams.....SCAR's offense was pretty damn good last season in big games, and Georgia's D was much improved

Texas A&M defense is nothing special.....obviously their offense is under Manziel but he's here for one more season

I just feel like SC and UGA are further along as programs overall, but Texas A&M is not far behind and should be fine

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Not singling you out but why do people constantly pick UGA over SC? SC has won 3 straight over them.....SC also has 1 SEC East loss in 3 seasons.....The difference in why Georgia has played in Atlanta the past 2 years is schedule

This season, the schedule slightly favors SCAR with regards to cross division games finally (Although they play at UGA so we'll see)

The truth is they are about even as programs overall (Georgia gets better recruits but SCAR coaching and development is better) , it just bothers me a little that SCAR is seen as inferior throughout the national media and by fans....Head to head results say otherwise

MLD sharp as always!

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

South Carolina. Keeps getting better and less weak in areas they've traditionally been weak in. Can recruit, and have more legitimacy behind their program than before due to winning and bringing in big time players every year. SEC East is winnable. A couple more steps and they can steal one.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

SoCo has really just become a power recently, where UGA has decades of success. Atlanta, the 2nd largest college football market in the country, is also in Georgia which helps UGA nationally. Carolina is kinda tucked way in the SE part of the country with basketball mecca to the north and football powers surrounding them. If Carolina can win the SEC, they'll get a little more respect in the national media. A lot of people question if they can still be successful once Spurrier leaves...and it's probably coming within 5 years. You know UGA and UF will be good. Tennessee won't be down forever. The years following Spurrier will probably be the most pivotal in the programs history.

SoCo probably has the most under rated fans in the country. Those fans pack that stadium out no matter what and have gone through some pretty rough teams and guys like Steve Tannehill sporting one of the best mullets of all time. I always see that Palmetto logo going down the interstate. Compare that to some of the other "big" programs like Florida State where you could have fired bird shot into the stands during some games the past few years and not hit a soul.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MoneyLineDawg

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oregon their recruits just keep getting bigger,faster,stronger world class everything in Eugene campus for football players. They are still running that same system that lets them drop 40+ on teams. Just looked at their schedule they'll probably be in a running for the title this year if they can win @ Stanford the vols aren't beating Oregon in eugene.

teaserpleaser

They'll beat the vols by at least double digits what's the spread on this game?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

Georgia Tech
    Colorado
    Washington
    Auburn
    Tennessee
    Penn State
    to call Notre Dame a football powerhouse is the most rediculous thing i think i have ever heard....

Oregon is done probably for quite some time... stick a fork in that program. They have already gotten as close as they will ever get.

I would say Georgia or South Carolina...

South Carolina could even do it this year.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    to call Notre Dame a football powerhouse is the most rediculous thing i think i have ever heard....

Oregon is done probably for quite some time... stick a fork in that program. They have already gotten as close as they will ever get.

I would say Georgia or South Carolina...

South Carolina could even do it this year.
    Trolling?

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

No worries, you and I have been on the same general side regarding the intangibles with SC in the past, they are still my reasons to the above post.

SC's conference schedule rotation has hurt them the last 2 years especially, UGA had a cake walk to the East missing the West's top teams. Also figuring in the mix of talent vs coaching between those two like you do - Spurrier a better big coach than Richt in the past - we all remember his hotseat he was on before the last year. This season specifically I give GA the edge over the COcks just because of Aaron Murray being more established than Shaw and that'll make the difference.

As far as Clemson goes, if they catch the SEC napping early they have a great shot at running the table themselves due to the ACC and Dabo is building a strong program, not a one shot type deal.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    MLD sharp as always!
    Thanks pal!

SoCo has really just become a power recently, where UGA has decades of success. Atlanta, the 2nd largest college football market in the country, is also in Georgia which helps UGA nationally. Carolina is kinda tucked way in the SE part of the country with basketball mecca to the north and football powers surrounding them. If Carolina can win the SEC, they'll get a little more respect in the national media. A lot of people question if they can still be successful once Spurrier leaves...and it's probably coming within 5 years. You know UGA and UF will be good. Tennessee won't be down forever. The years following Spurrier will probably be the most pivotal in the programs history.

SoCo probably has the most under rated fans in the country. Those fans pack that stadium out no matter what and have gone through some pretty rough teams and guys like Steve Tannehill sporting one of the best mullets of all time. I always see that Palmetto logo going down the interstate. Compare that to some of the other "big" programs like Florida State where you could have fired bird shot into the stands during some games the past few years and not hit a soul.
    Great post and I get what you're saying.....I don't blame people at all for choosing UGA over SC but it just seems like it happens more often than it should considering their head to head results.....I want to be optimistic with SC for the future and I feel like Spurrier will only leave if the program is in good hands......They are right in the middle of a bunch of facility upgrades with the football team which should only help down the line

I also obviously agree with your SC fans assessment......When I got there in 2005 I was blown away with how loud the stadium gets.....We were just a middle of the road SEC team when Spurrier first got there and folks around the city just live and breathe SCAR football throughout the year.....I left SC right as we were really turning the corner into an SEC power (2010)....Could only imagine the passion now, as it seems like the younger fans are very optimistic and the older fans are always expecting us to screw up, naturally.

No worries, you and I have been on the same general side regarding the intangibles with SC in the past, they are still my reasons to the above post.

SC's conference schedule rotation has hurt them the last 2 years especially, UGA had a cake walk to the East missing the West's top teams. Also figuring in the mix of talent vs coaching between those two like you do - Spurrier a better big coach than Richt in the past - we all remember his hotseat he was on before the last year. This season specifically I give GA the edge over the COcks just because of Aaron Murray being more established than Shaw and that'll make the difference.

As far as Clemson goes, if they catch the SEC napping early they have a great shot at running the table themselves due to the ACC and Dabo is building a strong program, not a one shot type deal.
    As usual I agree for the most part......Like I said I don't blame people for taking UGA this year especially since they have Murray back and play at Sanford Stadium.

I really can't see Clemson running the table,and they will likely need to do that in the ACC to get to the title game......First of all they would need to beat everyone they should and also beat Florida State and Georgia......Then at the end of the season they would need to go on the road and take down SCAR,something Dabo hasn't been able to do in the last 4 tries.....In fact they haven't kept it within single digits the last 4 years

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Overall, it has to be Oregon. No matter what you SEC homers may think, both Richt and Spurrier are NOT great head coaches. Saban can outcoach them in his sleep. The SEC East is a three team Division and those three teams will continue to beat each other up. Oregon has been more successful over the past few years than any SEC East team.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Overall, it has to be Oregon. No matter what you SEC homers may think, both Richt and Spurrier are NOT great head coaches. Saban can outcoach them in his sleep. The SEC East is a three team Division and those three teams will continue to beat each other up. Oregon has been more successful over the past few years than any SEC East team.
    That's funny, last time they met, Spurrier beat Saban head to head

If Spurrier went to Alabama they wouldn't miss a beat.....And I like Saban alot

Just think they are both great head coaches

Spurrier turned Florida into a national power and has taken another team in SC with little football history and has them now as a perennial top 10 team with possibly even higher hopes

Richt a very good head coach but struggles in big games over the years......Who is Oregon's coach now anyway?

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Oregon had their shots....now everyone is mimicking their tempo and read option/ spread attacks so it's getting easier to figure out for defenses. They'll be a decent powerhouse in the Pac 12 with Stanford for a year or tow more but thats all it amounts to.

Richt is like Stoops from OU in big games but I give the edge to Spurrier just because he's been there and done that in the past, but the game might be passing him by a little, think he's lost his dedication as he's getting older but still dangerous and would love to see him win one at SC just for the fans there - I remember back when they built the stadium up and had Tannehill at QB and the talk of getting that program to prominence was rampant....they are due.

teaserpleaser

^^^ the offensive cord since 2009 so blur offense is here to stay still going to drop half a hundo on a couple of teams. Remember when oregon had that Brandon Bair kid at defensive tackle weighed 268 or so they said them days are over ducks getting legit nfl bodies in they aren't sec deep probably never will be but the talent level is getting better. You could put arik armstead on any sec roster he could fit right in 6-8 280 and lean weren't a lot of these type guys walking around Eugene campus 2 or 3years ago.

teaserpleaser

Itchy you're simply wrong check recruiting they're bringing in a different type of athlete than years passed have you seen their atmosphere up there in Eugene, the facility's ??? It's out of this world if you are blue chipper on the west coast and oregon offers you visit and when you visit hard to say no. Look at all the kids the pull from Texas now. If anything Oregon is rising for the foreseeable future they seriously can play for a nc this year by simply beating Tennessee and Stanford don't see ucla beating them at home or to much trouble in the desert.
    Last edited by teaserpleaser; 07-19-13 at 11:54 AM.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Itchy you're simply wrong check recruiting they're bringing in a different type of athlete than years passed have you seen their atmosphere up there in Eugene, the facility's ??? It's out of this world if you are blue chipper on the west coast and oregon offers you visit and when you visit hard to say no. Look at all the kids the pull from Texas now. If anything Oregon is rising for the foreseeable future they seriously can play for a nc this year by simply beating Tennessee and Stanford don't see ucla beating them at home or to much trouble in the desert.
    I know Oregon well, I've seen the facilities from the street but haven't been inside in Eugene but still don't think they will get another shot as they had against Auburn in 2010 and this past year before the Stanford loss. Not saying the Ducks won't still lay a ton of points on the board during the season....meant other conferences are doing the same so it's not a one off match up like other years having to prep for a triple option team once a year etc. And defenses the same theory...I remember the Joe Lee Dunn D's at Miss St in the early 2000's and then everyone started using that....its a cycle.

Of course they are recruiting in Texas - we have a huge crop of talent that stay here plus go to Bama and elsewhere, doesn't mean Oregon is owning Texas recruiting, just picking from the huge pool as opposed to going to Baker in Oregon (the Baker Bulldogs are a good high school team there but not much NCAA talent due to the population per capita).

Of course Oregon will beat Tennessee this year...they'll use that for propaganda the same as Oklahoma State will use for the Big 12 after they beat a down Miss St in the opening weekend.

teaserpleaser

I know Oregon well, I've seen the facilities from the street but haven't been inside in Eugene but still don't think they will get another shot as they had against Auburn in 2010 and this past year before the Stanford loss. Not saying the Ducks won't still lay a ton of points on the board during the season....meant other conferences are doing the same so it's not a one off match up like other years having to prep for a triple option team once a year etc. And defenses the same theory...I remember the Joe Lee Dunn D's at Miss St in the early 2000's and then everyone started using that....its a cycle.

Of course they are recruiting in Texas - we have a huge crop of talent that stay here plus go to Bama and elsewhere, doesn't mean Oregon is owning Texas recruiting, just picking from the huge pool as opposed to going to Baker in Oregon (the Baker Bulldogs are a good high school team there but not much NCAA talent due to the population per capita).

Of course Oregon will beat Tennessee this year...they'll use that for propaganda the same as Oklahoma State will use for the Big 12 after they beat a down Miss St in the opening weekend.
    My point is they wont be fading any time soon they aren't going to fade from the top 5-10 in the next couple of years like you think ... to be able to go into Texas and pull kids out to Eugene of all places isn't something they've always been able to do it really shows their brand growing. Check the last time Oregon had a 5star recruit according to espns rankings they are headed in that direction towards getting 5 stars. The talent level is getting better seems yearly. Doesn't really matter who runs or how many teams you need LSU or Bama depth/talent to stop it along your defensive lines front 7 imo. Its not just the scheme its the speed and tempo I don't see anybody running it like them with the playmakers they have.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

• Oregon has never won a title and is 11-15 all time in bowl gams.
    • South Carolina has never won a title or the SEC, has one conference title in their history and is 6-12 in bowls games all-time.
    • Texas A&M has last won a title in 1939 and is 15-19 in bowl games.
    • Do you really think Clemson is a power?

Oregon has been good the last decade, South Carolina has been decent the the past decade, and A&M got their asses kicked in the Big 12 before they got Johnny Manziel. They have been relevant again for one season now.

These teams have had recent success but they are not traditional powers. That's almost like saying Boise State or Oklahoma State is a power.

Traditional Powers are listed below:

USC
    Notre Dame (as much as people hate them)
    Oklahoma
    Nebraska
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    Texas
    Georgia
    Tennessee (they're down but a sleeping giant)
    Miami (same scenario as Tennessee)
    Florida
    Florida State

The three Florida schools barely make the list because they have only been relevant since about the 80s but I bet one of them win a another title before anyone on your list.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 07-20-13 at 06:19 AM.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

I know Manziel is the man (watched him in high school) but the loss of his two incredible O lineman to the NFL will hurt a lot and his receivers will be weaker with the loss of Swope. ND had their shot and were exposed for what they. I think Georgia my pick out of that list. SC a close second. Oregon will not be as good without Kelly and his recruiting touts.

Hot Jerry
    Hot Jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4638

as far as national title goes I like them in this order - MICHIGAN , OREGON , NOTRE DAME , but that is my humble opinion !!

BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3623

1. Ga

2. Sc

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina

Sammy guesses you mean from this point forward

Georgia Bulldogs

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Georgia
    Oregon
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    South Carolina
    Tough to choose Georgia or South Carolina at this point when the road to the NC will likely require a stopover against Alabama/TAMU in the SEC championship game. The stars aligned for ND in 2012 about as perfectly as possible and they still got thumped in the end. Most likely option is probably Oregon or Clemson if they can go 12-0 this year, and given schedules, Oregon has the best shot.