Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

How are the Iowa Hawkeyes looking?

Been tracking this team for years. Had a solid program for years with great seasons up until last year they were lackluster. Anything significant coming out of Hawkeye nation?

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

KD. Bad news for you. It's going to be a long year for the Hawkeyes.

QB is a huge question mark, the coordinator positions are a revolving door, and I think Ferentz has dropped a step or three.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Killer, I'm guessing Ferentz is feeling some pressure entering this season after going 4-8 last year including a disastrous 0-6 finish. Making it tougher this season, Ohio State and Wisconsin replace Indiana and Penn State on the schedule. For this team to improve, the passing game and pass rush must get better. Not good last season.

Sidenote: The Hawkeyes were the only team in the nation to have six regular season games decided by 3 or less points last year.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Agree w/ Horse....

I could see a coaching change after this year...

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i saw a respected college football analyst (full time guy, can't remember who) had them as one of his most improved teams.

big broohaha on cnnsi.com as columnist called their coach one of worst in NCAA. i think you need to look at where these programs are located to judge these things probably (i'm guessing minnesota shouldn't have fired glen mason)

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like Iowa ST is taking precedent over the haweyes in Iowa.
    Last edited by Killer_Demo; 07-16-13 at 02:24 PM.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Agree w/ Horse....

I could see a coaching change after this year...
    Won't be happening.

Not because Ferentz deserves to stay, but because the last AD at Iowa gave him the dumbest contract in college football.

If Iowa fires Ferentz-- they still are on the hook for more than 19 million dollars. No way they can absorb that much of a financial hit.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Demo View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Seems like Iowa ST is taking precedent over the haweyes in Iowa. Iowa St had solid year last year until the bowl game which they lost
    i noticed that iowa state seems to have alot of deteriorating indicators for this season (probably returning starters. seems to be what most of the improved/deteroriorating analysis uses as it's base)................ iowa state i think has been nice "under the radar" ATS team in recent years. UNDER too if i'm not mistaken.

EDIT: iowa state has been great UNDER, not good ATS though.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Ferentz will have the job at Iowa for as long as he wants it because the fans and alumni at Iowa have Grown to accept mediocrity in their athletics.

gojetsgomoxies

one thing i'll say about steele's lists are that he puts alot of focus on the schedule and improved records, whereas most of our interest in ats record (or power rating)

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

A couple of things here (being a lifelong Iowan).

1. It was Phil Steele that had them on their list of most improved teams, 14th I believe
    2. Ferentz isn't on the hot seat. It'll take 2 more years of under 5 win seasons for him to be in trouble.
    3. It is going to be a tough year for the hawks, they get both wisconsin and Ohio State from the other division this year (they've dodged those 2 the last 2 years)
    4. As of right now they still havent picked a starting quarterback (officially).
    5. Their linebacking core will be outstanding, but theres a lot of questions marks on the Dline and in the secondary
    6. On offense, Mark Weisman played really well last year until he was hurt (Thanks AIRBHG). However their receiving core has huge question marks

Hope this helps.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Won't be happening.

Not because Ferentz deserves to stay, but because the last AD at Iowa gave him the dumbest contract in college football.

If Iowa fires Ferentz-- they still are on the hook for more than 19 million dollars. No way they can absorb that much of a financial hit.
    Thanks for the info

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    one thing i'll say about steele's lists are that he puts alot of focus on the schedule and improved records, whereas most of our interest in ats record (or power rating)
    I agree with this. He seems to be more props oriented than anything else. I don't know, but I've read several comments that he is not a very good matchup handicapper. I like his preview for pre-season assessment though.

SamDiamond

Here is a great article about just how bad Ferentz Contract is...

If they fire him, Iowa owes Ferentz 250000/month until 2020.

So, if they fire him in January 2014--- he is owed 250K for 73 months.

Or, 18,250,000.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...llege-football

Here is a key part of it..

That contract came after the 2009 season drew to a close, one that saw Iowa return to glory and win the Orange Bowl against Georgia Tech. So Ferentz is in Year 3 of his contract, and he's got a 17-13 record to show for it—and a Big Ten schedule awaiting him. And let's be honest: A 2-6 Big Ten record is totally in play with a team this bad, and that would push his post-contract record to an even 19-19.
    It should probably go without saying, but $3.875 million a year has got to buy more than a .500 record.
    The real killer for Iowa, however, is the buyout, which is set at 75% of his remaining salary, paid monthly. So if Iowa wants to go another route for its head coach, that's fine. It'll just owe Ferentz about a quarter-million dollars a month.
    Every month.
    Until January of 2020.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

^ unreal

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Here is a great article about just how bad Ferentz Contract is...

If they fire him, Iowa owes Ferentz 250000/month until 2020.

So, if they fire him in January 2014--- he is owed 250K for 73 months.

Or, 18,250,000.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...llege-football

Here is a key part of it..

That contract came after the 2009 season drew to a close, one that saw Iowa return to glory and win the Orange Bowl against Georgia Tech. So Ferentz is in Year 3 of his contract, and he's got a 17-13 record to show for it—and a Big Ten schedule awaiting him. And let's be honest: A 2-6 Big Ten record is totally in play with a team this bad, and that would push his post-contract record to an even 19-19.
    It should probably go without saying, but $3.875 million a year has got to buy more than a .500 record.
    The real killer for Iowa, however, is the buyout, which is set at 75% of his remaining salary, paid monthly. So if Iowa wants to go another route for its head coach, that's fine. It'll just owe Ferentz about a quarter-million dollars a month.
    Every month.
    Until January of 2020.
    wow talk about extortion

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

This is why Iowa Football has ceased to become much of a threat in the Big 10. They are definately a 2nd to 3rd tier team now.