WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Any Love For Arizona Wildcats?

With the Pac-12 South Division being seemingly wide open...just wondering what you guys thought about Arizona's chances. Rodriguez won 8 games (including bowl) with the worst defense in school history. He also had one of the best offenses in school history averaging 526 yards per game. The defense which allowed a whopping 500 ypg has all the starters back (3 are now on the second team depth chart). Not so sure I can get excited about starters who gave up 613 yards or more six time last year.

Rods has three early non-conference games (Northern Arizona, UNLV and UTSA) to settle on a new quarterback and hopefully find some defensive players who are not acting like they are mexican bullfighters. The offense should be potent again...the defense needs work and much needed toughness to give the offense some help. Better depth this season but still not a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Can this team challenge for the South Division...maybe even better is can this team win seven regular season games like last year?

WorkHorse

Where are you BigDaddy? I know we little guys here at SBR are just peons compared to your other site but you know the Pac-12 as well as anyone. Help the less fortunate out here at SBR with your knowledge...and I know from experience you do know the Pac Conference.

By the way...SBR college football ain't second base to anyone. Best on the frecken net and getting better.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I have Arizona a close second in what will be a wild PAC 12 South race. Here is my brief write up about them:

2. Arizona. The return of RichRod was a success in Tucson last season and more of the same can be expected this season. The 'Cats return 7 starters on offense and 10 on defense. They need a new QB, preferably one that can run, to fit RR's offense. The schedule pulls no punches after three cup cake non-con games, with trips to Washington and then a Thursday Night game at USC. They finish the season with home games against UCLA, Wazzu, and Oregon (+12 GOY), and then a trip to Tempe. Some help on defense and Arizona can win this division.

That is how I see them. I have ASU, Arizona, USC, UCLA, Utah and Colorado in that order. UCLA has a very tough schedule and can slip to the #5 spot.

WorkHorse

Good stuff BD.

I see you are selling the Trojans a little short this year. Man, the more I study USC the more I like them.

I think Kiffin and coaching staff will be on a mission after last year and ten wins looks good to me. Depth
    may become an issue if/with a lot of injuries but talent is everywhere. The defense will be real good.

Fredvic247
    Fredvic247's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Good stuff BD.

I see you are selling the Trojans a little short this year. Man, the more I study USC the more I like them.

I think Kiffin and coaching staff will be on a mission after last year and ten wins looks good to me. Depth
    may become an issue if/with a lot of injuries but talent is everywhere. The defense will be real good.
    I have USC winning the Pac 12 South, I think they're the best team and I totally agree with you workhorse!!!

Fredvic247
    Fredvic247's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

Hard to tell how good Arizona will be on offense...quarterback Matt Scott gone, top receiver Austin Hill torn ACL in spring.

Carey is a helluva running back...

do return a ton of starters on defense, but that defense gave up over 500 yards per game in 2012.

WorkHorse

Fred, you and I are on the same page with Southern Cal. Hell, public has written them off because of last year. This team has talent and purpose and I for one think the Trojans are an opportunity to make money.

Desperate coaching staff will push good athletes to produce...ain't rocket science to me Bud.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

My problem with USC is twofold. First, they are not very deep, and in a run and shoot conference like the Pac 12, you need plenty of horses, especially on defense. Second. Kiffin. He has 8 offensive assistants and only two defensive assistants. There is a three way battle for the QB spot and Wittek is by far the worst candidate, but Kiffin seems to like him. Kiffin is the biggest question mark on this team, and you cannot bench the HC.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

how many stars was matt scott out of high school? same q for his replacement

star tb gonna play for sure? major legal trouble?

JRWnPHX
    JRWnPHX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 360

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    how many stars was matt scott out of high school? same q for his replacement

star tb gonna play for sure? major legal trouble?

Scott and Soloman were both 4 stars. Scott initially beat out Nick Foles, but Foles took over after Scott was ineffective in a few games. Solomon hasn't win the job yet.

The domestic violence Charles against Carey have been dropped. Defense will still struggle, even with Casteel.

Hill was a stud last year. His loss may hurt at the beginning of the season.

gojetsgomoxies

thanks for the info. i have to look up who hill is..... good info on the domestic violence charges.

was matt scott not arizona's QB the whole season last year?

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

WH, I just don't think so.

I think Rodriguez's achilles will always be on the defensive side of the ball, and I can't imagine him being able to improve the defense dramatically enough to win the Pac-12 South.

Oh, they will win some games, pull off an upset or two but they won't win their division.

I think they lose at USC that Thursday Night game, also Oregon, UCLA and Arizona State.

JRWnPHX

He was. I was referring to the 2009 season when Scott and Nick Foles were battling for the starting job.

We'll need another season or two for our defense to really improve, unless the D can improve now in the takeaway department.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by JRWnPHX View Post
    He was. I was referring to the 2009 season when Scott and Nick Foles were battling for the starting job.

We'll need another season or two for our defense to really improve, unless the D can improve now in the takeaway department.
    ok, got you.... thx for the follow-up. much appreciated

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Arizona has owned UCLA in Tucson recently, going 4-0 both S/U and ATS against the Baby Bears in their last four games there. Arizona has a nice situational edge here also, playing UCLA in between a game at CAl and a home game against Wazzu, while UCLA gets only 6 days rest after this game before they have to host Washington. From the technical side of things, UCLA is 1-5 as a dog of 5 or less points against a team with revenge. Ariona has big time revenge aster losing 66-10 to UCLa last year, and the current GOY line is Arizona -4. There are a lot of things about Arizona to like here.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Arizona has owned UCLA in Tucson recently, going 4-0 both S/U and ATS against the Baby Bears in their last four games there. Arizona has a nice situational edge here also, playing UCLA in between a game at CAl and a home game against Wazzu, while UCLA gets only 6 days rest after this game before they have to host Washington. From the technical side of things, UCLA is 1-5 as a dog of 5 or less points against a team with revenge. Ariona has big time revenge aster losing 66-10 to UCLa last year, and the current GOY line is Arizona -4. There are a lot of things about Arizona to like here.
    Big, normally I would agree with you here.

But in this spot, I think coaching matters. UCLA obliterated Arizona last year, and while I don't think they will do it on the road, I do think they brand of football is going to give Arizona fits.

JRWnPHX

Arizona jumped on UCLA on a Thursday night game in '11; it was the first game after Stoops got fired.
    UCLA jumped on Arizona last year (scored 21 in the 1st AND 2nd qtr). UCLA had a lot of emotion going from Franklin becoming the all-time rusher at UCLA.
    Matt Scott probably shouldn't have been playing after getting cracked in the head the week before against USC.

At this point, I think this game could go either way, but as Daddy said, this game is bunched in between Cal and Wazzu.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Sam, let's see how UCLA handles their away games at Nebraska, Utah, Stanford and Oregon. It is quite possible that UCLA goes 1-3 in those four games, and it is not impossible for them to go 0-4. UCLA players have a history of being unable to put two good seasons together for any of their recent HC's. In 2006 they slumped to a 7-6 record after going 10-2 in 2005 for Dorrell. In 2010 they fell to a 4-8 record after going 7-6 on 2009 for Neuheisel. Last season they won 9 games, but dropped their last 3 and failed to cover 2 out of those 3 games.

gojetsgomoxies

UCLA = very young this year..... and it's funny but seems to be analyst idea that a team that took a big step last year will take another big step the next year. i think same or regression (2 steps forward, one step back) is more likely. thought there was another team i thought this of, but i can't find it...

and i'd have no argument to ucla perhaps being the "new usc" in 3-4 years. awesome location in LA

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

UCLA will never be the "new USC". They have been at that location for many years now, so the location means nothing. UCLa is just not a football school. They also have a terrrible alumni when it comes to football. They also have a habit of not paying their Football Coaches a lot of money. Their AD is a headcase. The school deserves better.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    UCLA will never be the "new USC". They have been at that location for many years now, so the location means nothing. UCLa is just not a football school. They also have a terrrible alumni when it comes to football. They also have a habit of not paying their Football Coaches a lot of money. Their AD is a headcase. The school deserves better.
    This is true, UCLA historically just won't pay--they won't invest into the football like USC does.

To frame it, Stanford spent 17 million on operating expenses for their football program last year, UCLA spent 15 million.

Washington (19.8 million), USC (20.9 million), Oregon (18.7 million), Arizona State (18.73 million), all spend more money than UCLA does.

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds like UCLA got their priorities in order. Anyway, Rodriguez is another coach you just don't bet on
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife