WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

2013 Heisman Trophy Discussion

Who will win the Heisman Trophy this season? Who the heck knows after a first year starter, redshirt freshman quarterback won it last year. From 2007 to 2009, a sophomore has won the trophy. During 2010, a junior college transfer at Auburn won it. Then a kid from Baylor of all places wins. Seems like a crap shoot trying to figure out who wins the dang thing. Fun to speculate I guess...might as well get started.

2013 favorites based on Vegas odds:

Johnny Manziel, Soph, QB, Texas A&M, (9/2)
    Blaxton Miller, Jr, QB, Ohio State, (13/2)
    AJ McCarron, Sr, QB, Alabama, (10/1)
    Aaron Murray, Sr, QB, Georgia, (12/1)
    Teddy Bridgewater, Jr, QB, Louisville, (12/1)
    De'Anthony Thomas, Jr, RB, Oregon, (12/1)
    Marcus Lee, Jr, WR, Southern Cal, (12/1)
    T.J. Yeldon, Soph, RB, Alabama, (12/1)
    Duke Johnson, Soph, RB, Miami, Fl, (14/1)
    Marcus Mariota, Soph, QB, Oregon, (18/1)
    Taylor Martinez, Sr, QB, Nebraska, (18/1)
    Lache Seastrunk, Jr, RB, Baylor, (20/1)

Remember last year Manziel wasn't even on the radar...so could there be another surprise this year? Here's a look at 2012 favorites:

Matt Barkley ((3/1)
    Montee Ball (4/1)
    Denard Robinson (5/1)
    Laundry Jones (6/1)
    Geno Smith (8/1)
    Marcus Lattimore (10/1)
    EJ Manuel (10/1)
    Aaron Murray (10/1)

Who do you like men.......................?

WorkHorse

Before I forget, I did not mention/list South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney simply because defensive players never win the Heisman. Clowney is listed at (14/1) and will be given some votes but will not win if past history holds.

My pick to win the Heisman is Ohio State's Braxton Miller. He has the coach, team, schedule and crazy athleticism to be a front runner. Why not Manziel again? Just too damn hard to win back-to-back. Archie Griffin, Ohio State RB was the last to pull that off back during the stone ages.

My long shot sleeper is UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley. Teddy Bridgewater (QB Louisville) might surprise some folks at 12/1.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I agree with Miller as the choice, especially if Ohio State goes undefeated, which certainly is a big possibility.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marcus Mariota.

Even as a rookie last season, Chip Kelly wasn't afraid to let him operate freely, recognizing the outstanding ability to improvise under pressure, complementing the arm strength and speed. With Mark Helfrich taking over as HC in Oregon, the transition will be seamless and we'll likely see Mariota continue to improve.

For reference, Mariota was actually better than Manziel last season in completion rate (68.5% to 68%), Yards per carry rushing (7.9 to 7.1), passer rating (163 to 155), passing TDs (32 to 26), and INTs (6 to 9). In the redzone, Mariota was a perfect 19-0 in TD-INT ratio. Not to say Manziel didn't deserve it in 2012. TAMU played a much tougher schedule, making his numbers that much more impressive, but Mariota is the front runner in my mind.

WorkHorse

Marioita could very well be in the final picture when its all said and done. I see two problems for him winning.

First, he must share the spotlight with De'Anthony Thomas who many favor as a Heisman candidate.

Second, the Ducks are usually so far ahead in the third quarter that Marioita will miss opportunities
    to post big, gaudy numbers.

He's listed at 18 to 1. Three hundred would pay a nice $5400 if you think he's a good risk.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    First, he must share the spotlight with De'Anthony Thomas who many favor as a Heisman candidate.

Second, the Ducks are usually so far ahead in the third quarter that Marioita will miss opportunities
    to post big, gaudy numbers.
    True last year, for sure. However I can see him getting more chances to finish games this season if his name is getting Heisman buzz.

It's also tough for me to not think a QB will win it again this season with Miller / Murray / Mariota / McCarron / Manziel all playing on elite teams, and all with head coaches that love to run up scores. Predict the average stat line for these guys and a running back would have to be flirting with the greatest season of all time to compete.

WorkHorse

Florida State QB Chris Weinke won in 2000....including him, eleven quarterbacks have won the award since then. A quarterback will win again this year...just who I don't know.

If Alabama can hammer down another national title....look for AJ McCarron to be the prime suspect.

Still, if I had to bet one of my horses against one one of your cows....I'll take the Ohio State guy.

Coach Potato
    Coach Potato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31636

Ye if Alabama win it all again I think McCarron will win it. I also kinda like tajh boyd for some reason

WorkHorse

Coach P, McCarron can make all the throws and has the winning thing down pat. He led the nation in passing efficiency last season and this year will have the best set of receivers Bama has had...maybe ever.

Saban has hinted because of the talent at the skill positions that he will pass more this season. Yes, Alabama will still pound the ball but MaCarron will have the opportunity to put up some big numbers...at least for a Bama QB.

If Alabama wins it all again...McCarron will definitely be in New York for sure...maybe even win the thing.