WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Bowling Green team to watch in the MAC?

The Bowling Green Falcons are coming off an 8-4 regular season with a defense that was ranked 7th nationally (307 ypg). Nineteen starters are returning off that team including 9 on defense which held opponents to just under 17 points a game...good enough to rank 12th in scoring defense. Also returning are quarterback Matt Schitz (2,585 yards, 14 touchdowns) and 4 offensive linemen. RB Anthon Samuel (1,064 yards, 11 touchdowns) and WR Chris Gallon (54 catches) and Shawn Joplin (40 catches) also return.

During the 2012 season, the Falcons lost to Florida 27-14, Virginia Tech 37-0, Toledo 27-15 and Kent State 31-24. This year... Tulsa, Indiana, Murray State and Mississippi State will provide the non-conference schedule. Conference games include Kent State, Akron, UMass, Toledo, Miami,Oh, Ohio, Eastern Michigan and Buffalo. Not a bad schedule for a veteran team.

The defense should be stout again but needs some help from an offense that was ranked 98th nationally. With a returning quarterback, running back, two wide receivers and four lineman...production should be much better.

Just looking ahead to the season and one team I have on my radar. Welcome your comments.

WorkHorse

Sidenote: Bowling Green was a great (Under) play last year playing under in 10 of 12 games.

Gameday
    Gameday's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 541

Looks like a solid team to put on my radar as well.

Just out of curiosity because you seem like someone who truly knows the sport, what do you think of the Miami Hurricanes for this season?? Year after year they prove to have tremendous talent on the field but they have lacked leadership. Constantly contending with top ranked teams for a few quarters and then just absolutely crumbling down the stretch mainly because of awful passing by Jacory Harris. For the first time in awhile not many players entered the draft and the vast majority of they're young team is returning. Al Golden is coming in to his third year as Head Coach so the team is finally HIS; I think with his leadership accompanied by senior QB Stephan Morris who seemed poised enough to exploit these sensational athletes around him will make Miami a great underdog to bet on this season.

By no means am I saying they will be National Championship caliber but I do think they are going to turn some heads this year and make some big upsets. Its a stretch but if they can get past Florida watch out!!!

WorkHorse

Yeah Gameday, Golden is entering his third year (6-6, 7-5) his first two. The Canes have 19 starters returning with 9 coming back on defense. Not sure that's a plus for the defense because that was a terrible weakness last season with the No. 121st ranked stoppers in the nation. In other words they were God awful. Just not sure how much improvement the defense will make and that is the key to the success of this year's team.

Manageable schedule getting Florida at home the second game but will have to travel to Florida State. If the Canes can find some defense...I can see an 8 or 9 win season. If they play like last year...another 6 to 8 win season. Just my early take.....

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Miami will get their 8 wins this season, but the big question is if they can defeat Florida State, and Va. Tech, whom they play back to back.

WorkHorse

Getting back to Bowling Green from the MAC conference. The MAC is made up of 13 teams this season divided into the East and West Divisions.

West: Ball State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illnois, Toledo and Western Michigan.
    East: Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, Miami, Ohio, UMass and Ohio.

Some prominent non-conference games include: Akron @ Michigan, Bowling Green @ Miss State, Buffalo @ Ohio State, Central Michigan @ Michigan, Eastern Michigan @ Penn State, Kent State @ LSU, Miami hosting Cincinnati, Northern Illinois @ Iowa, Ohio @ Louisville, Toledo @ Florida, UMass @ Wisconsin, and Western Michigan @ Michigan State.

Do some homework and there's money to be made in the MAC...every frecken year!

surffreak
    surffreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Its good to see someone else notice BG and the MAC as well. BG's biggest problem last year up until october was its field goal kicker. He essentially blew the Florida game for us. BG's special teams is good now. The florida, toledo, and kent state game were all heartbreaks and bg should of won all 3 of those games especially the florida and kent state game which cost them the MAC championship game because of 2 goal line stops by kent state in the 4th. There is a really good chance that BG could go 10-1 this season. The biggest challenge I see would be missippi state, toledo, and tulsa. Clawson really has built up this team when he first came in from the ground up and he has a really good veteran squad now. They only lost 3 starters last season as well (2 of which were the best defensive players).

As for bg's offensive struggles, our qb did awesome his sophmore year and did terrible last season. The problem was that the majority of our recievers were all new starters and mostly freshman. Expect a definite improvement with the passing game this year.

As for the other MAC teams, NIU is a favorite for the west, their schedule is stupid easy. Dont be surprised if toledo beats florida either