University of Louisville Endangered Cardinals vs. the University of Kentucky Fighting Wildcats.

First of all let me preface that I am a Louisville resident, but was born and remain a loyal buckeye. i believe i can break this game down objectively. I also think 70% of this game lies beyond the personel on the field.

My play is chiefly a big fade on Louisville. Consider the following:
Article September 1st on how louisville fans will judge the team this season. 'What will make you satisfied, or at least encouragedmoving forward under coach Steve Kragthorpe?' among those things listed were the following: Significantly reduce needless mistakes and procedural errors (12 men on the field coming out of timeouts, etc.), better effort, fewer blown defensive assignments, and others want simply to complete a season without having to hear game commentators laughing at the team.

Another article discussed the endangered Cardinals' first week meeting with the Champship Subdivision Indiana State fighting Sycamores. The fighting Sycs lost a heartbreaker in week one to NAIA Quincey 26-20 in overtime. The Sycamores start 15 true freshman and sophomores. ISU coach Trent Miles wasn't shy about his disdain for this contest being scheduled, the Sycs didn't want to play.

Next article is post a 30-10 very sloppy Victory of the Fighting Sycamores.
'The perspective is this: Indiana State, of course, lost its 28th straight game Saturday night. It has lost 52 out of its past 53. Its past five games against FBS competition had an average margin of defeat of 46 points.' 'Its past two games against Western Kentucky were lost by an average of 43.5 points . It's difficult to overstate how bad Indiana State has been.' Yet it led UofL 7-3 at the end of the first quarter. One of Indiana State's sports information officials whispered in the press box after the game, “I got a picture of Muhammad Ali on the scoreboard screen, and we were up 7-3!” The Sycamores lost to Quincy, an NAIA team, two weeks ago. They converted just 4of15 third downs in that game. They converted 7of16 against UofL. Meanwhile, the Cards converted just one third down in nine tries all night. They committed 14 penalties for 128 yards. But you can't let out of your head the level of competition. 'And this was as alarming as any stat — UofL's defense didn't look appreciably faster than Indiana State.'

Next article after the ISU game features player quotes: University of Louisville safety Chaz Thompson, known throughout the locker room for being the football team's biggest talker, made more of a plea following Saturday night's 30-10 victory over Indiana State. 'Just bear with us,' the senior said. ISU is the bottom feeder of FBCS!!! UofL converted just one of nine third downs. Junior Justin Burke began the game looking like a quarterback who last started while leading Lexington Catholic to a state high school title in 2005.Burke, who transferred from North Carolina State, completed just one of his first eight passes. He threw too long and too high —

well thats a start on some background from the past 2 weeks. i'll do the 2nd part shortly.

Takeaway: Louisville is bad, real bad, lacking confidence, lacking experience, etc.

Part 2: 'Everyone' wants coach Kragthorpe fired, no on can understand how and why he is still here. This includes fans, students, faculty, administration, and even players. His son is the quarterback at a high profile local high school and he is constantly being harrassed about how bad his dad sucks. Kragthorpe took over in 2007 after Bobby 'The Lion' Petrino left for Arkansas. After 2006's orange bowl victory, and Brohm returning for 2007, hopes were high. Kraggy didn't deliver and is blamed for ruining Brohm (hometown hero) and ruining this great program in 1 year.
No one likes him, no one respects him, he can't coach, and everyone wants him gone.

The fans. ARE PISSED. after 2006, they increased ticket prices and began adding to Papa John's Pepperoni Cardinal Stadium, including an upfront premium. Fans then not only had to deal with this horrible field product, but also another upcharge on football tix to help fund the new basketball arena. Now the stadium they paid to add on to has a bunch of empty seats because Kragthorpe has ruined the program, and ruined it quickly. Many fans are hoping their own team gets filleted early and often to get rid of this man in mid campaign. Lots of old money here, in a small city, these people have influence.

Louisville's personel isn't terrible, but its not at all good or cohesive. Their strength is at running back, they also have some young talent at wide receiver. The QB has started only one game, against the fighting sycamores, since his senior year of high school in 2005.... and he's not a 5 star recruit. He will be returning to his home town of Lexington for the game, he has already stated he was too 'amped up' to make an accurate throw vs. ISU, how's he gonna do this Saturday?

Kentucky is a pretty solid program these days. Their fans, while EXTREMELY ****ing annoying during basketball season are very passionate and loyal. They filled that stadium for years with terrible teams. That place rocks now, Rich Brooks has tons of support and they will be ready. Brooks is a better and more experienced coach than Kraggy, no doubt.

This game is a rivalry game but it means more to Kentucky IMO. Kentucky fans see Louisville as an eyesore, a wanna be cosmopolitan center in a state of hardworking bluecollar wildcats. They also owe U of L an ass whooping for 2004 28-0 and 2006 59-28. Even though UK won 27-2 last year, their fans expect and demand U of L be paid back and UK has the upper hand to do that this year.

I'm not going to go through a player by player analysis. UK has a returning QB that is finding his groove, his name is 'Brian' Hartline. Stud athlete and recruit Randy Cobb is relishing in his new role at receiver. UK is coming off 3 staight bowl seasons where they won their bowls. U of L has lost 5 straight including an embarrassing massacre at Rutgers when the secondary collapsed with DC Ron English having near 2 feet out the door after working with Kragthorpe. English is the only reason U of L wasn't SMU last year.... he's gone now.

What i don't like:

-UK has a short kickoffs this year and U of L has a few athletes who could make a difference of special teams.
-UK has Florida on deck which i hate.

Regardless, UK is a strong play on all fronts, i expect a beatdown. 44-17 UK and have made my largest wager of the Season on the Fighting Wildcats.