polson22
    polson22's Avatar Become A Pro!

"north of the border" 5* picks

hey,

i'm very new here. have been giving suggestions but not really official picks so far. so i figured i'll give a few. i'd say my biggest strengths are that i am actually quite interested in lesser conferences and i think i have decent eye for value. weaknesses would be playing too many games i know very little about and clinging to ideas that have been proven wrong already (u hear that clemson)

here are my 5* picks for this week. we'll see how i do.

miss st-vandy under 45 -104 (chronic UNDER teams, 36% vs. 31% last year).. and not that low a number)

FIU +15.5 @ rutgers -102 (FIU = classic up-and-coming team. rutgers been huge disappointment for awhile now.. hoping the spread was higher though, still like it)

SJSU +17 @ stanford -101(SJSU = decent quality. hung with USC for quite awhile... stanford overachives but will always have talent/blowout issues)

minnesota +14 vs. california -107 (jacked up crowd, early start for cal... a little dicey, i realize.... i think cal will start slowly unlike other games)

GT +5.5 @ miami-F -105 (getting points on the superior team)

notre dame -10 vs. michigan state +100 (ND = far superior. MSU plays ND tough often, but no javon ringer this year..... bet somewhat depends on michigan proving to be a good team, but i think they will be)

smu -6 @ WSU -109 (smu coming around under june jones. see hawaii last week. 35-0 with 10 minutes left in first quarter.. this spread just seems completely WRONG.... famous last words)

tulsa +17.5 @ oklahoma -102
    would have played the north texas @ alabama (before riley dodge being OUT, realize the line would be different)

hmmm. i may have to divide these up. have a couple more to add (tentatively temple +29.5 @ PSU), but can't do too many 5* and i want to do more OVER/UNDERS. i think it's not as efficient as point spread, but i have to learn more. eyeing the VT-nebraska UNDER.. these won't be picks for the record until i specify that specifically here.

wish me luck!
    Last edited by polson22; 09-16-09 at 09:26 PM.

ji03
    ji03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

I think ND will beat State pretty easily as the State defense was not very good agAinst CMU and ND has a very good passing attack.

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by polson22 View Post
    hey,

i'm very new here. have been giving suggestions but not really official picks so far. so i figured i'll give a few. i'd say my biggest strengths are that i am actually quite interested in lesser conferences and i think i have decent eye for value. weaknesses would be playing too many games i know very little about and clinging to ideas that have been proven wrong already (u hear that clemson)

here are my 5* picks for this week. we'll see how i do.

miss st-vandy under 45 -104 (chronic UNDER teams, 36% vs. 31% last year).. and not that low a number)

FIU +15.5 @ rutgers -102 (FIU = classic up-and-coming team. rutgers been huge disappointment for awhile now.. hoping the spread was higher though, still like it)

SJSU +17 @ stanford -101(SJSU = decent quality. hung with USC for quite awhile... stanford overachives but will always have talent/blowout issues)

minnesota +14 vs. california -107 (jacked up crowd, early start for cal... a little dicey, i realize.... i think cal will start slowly unlike other games)

GT +5.5 @ miami-F -105 (getting points on the superior team)

notre dame -10 vs. michigan state +100 (ND = far superior. MSU plays ND tough often, but no javon ringer this year..... bet somewhat depends on michigan proving to be a good team, but i think they will be)

smu -6 @ WSU -109 (smu coming around under june jones. see hawaii last week. 35-0 with 10 minutes left in first quarter.. this spread just seems completely WRONG.... famous last words)

tulsa +17.5 @ oklahoma -102
    would have played the north texas @ alabama (before riley dodge being OUT, realize the line would be different)

hmmm. i may have to divide these up. have a couple more to add (tentatively temple +29.5 @ PSU), but can't do too many 5* and i want to do more OVER/UNDERS. i think it's not as efficient as point spread, but i have to learn more. eyeing the VT-nebraska UNDER.. these won't be picks for the record until i specify that specifically here.

wish me luck!

First off goodluck on your card.

Just curious as to how Georgia Tech is supeior? Granted they have one of the best rushing attacks in the country. they did humilate and exploit Miami's aggrassion and youth last year. But supeior? Just asking not debating.

Also if infact Georgia Tech is supeior then why would this line open with Miami as a favorite? Both teams have played a nationally televised primetime game and won by a very close margin with Georgia Tech's win fresher in most minds since they played last. Average Joe can read the polls and see that Georgia tech is the higher ranked team. Some will even remember last years game in which Tech racked up 400+ yards rushing and a 20 something point victory. So why would Miami a lessor ranked and infereior opponent be a favorite?

Again not debating just trying to get a feel for your thinking because the more we know about how others think the better we can configure our own thoughts.